2 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
1. Wanna ask how does majority of you place your dlsr in your camera bag? I mean with the lens facing downwards or the body at the base? I personally prefer lens downwards coz its more convenient to take it out of the bag, but however im worried if there is a chance of the lens cracking due to the pressure weighing down from the body? Plus the fact that if you are carrying a sling bag, the bag tends to sway left and right as you walk..increasing the pressure. Comments?

2. When placing your lens in the dry cabinet, do you zoom out max of your lens? So that it can humidify the inner part of the zoom lens? Is it necessary? I did this coz there was once I was shooting under shelter in a heavy downpour and found some moist. I clean it with a dry cloth then left it in the cabinet zoomed out. Comments?

Many thanks.

1) It all depends on the configuration of your camera bag. If have space, you can let it rest on the base, as in the normal position that your camera will sit. If not, face the camera upwards with the LCD at the bottom. I don't think lens down is a good choice coz there's no balance and your camera will be rocking all over the place. For sling bag its the same, just cushion it between something soft.

2) If you have cleaned and wiped off as much rain and moisture, i suggest you air dry it for awhile before you store it in your dry cabinet and as for zooming the lens, i think it does not affect it.

1) The camera body is actually not heavy to begin with. So there is no way for the body to crush the lens but with a poor padded case, when you put the bag hard on the floor or you lean on the bag, the lens cap may break.

2) Logically possible but will only be useful when the back lens cover is left ajar.

If you "zoom to max" you're actually trapping more humid air inside. I'd suggest the opposite.

1) I don't think lens down is a good choice coz there's no balance and your camera will be rocking all over the place. For sling bag its the same, just cushion it between something soft.QUOTE]

But people still do that right? And most of the shops that sell camera bags often advertised their bags with photos of the dslr facing downwards e.g lowepro website.

But then i rather not take the risk..shall place my dslr with the body on the base. Lol.

Ya, don't take the risk

Yep, keep the cam at home sitting in dry cabinet. No risk at all. But some people also wonder whether mounted lens will put some stress on lens mount ... :bsmilie:

1. Wanna ask how does majority of you place your dlsr in your camera bag? I mean with the lens facing downwards or the body at the base? I personally prefer lens downwards coz its more convenient to take it out of the bag, but however im worried if there is a chance of the lens cracking due to the pressure weighing down from the body? Plus the fact that if you are carrying a sling bag, the bag tends to sway left and right as you walk..increasing the pressure. Comments?

Real risks are mentioned in your manual, found anything there?
Lens and camera body are not made of sugar cotton, they can stand some load. One could also argue that with the body downwards you will pull out the camera on the lens, thus stressing the lens unnecessarily...?
My sling bag (Slingshot 200) does not exercise any pressure on the camera. In fact, when carrying the sling bag on the back then the camera is exactly in the same position as when holding it in my hand and shooting. Stop worrying, get proper cushioning, be alert and and careful - and enjoy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.