2 polarisers.. how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sequitur

Apr 17, 2003
flickr.com
hi there...

i just can't seem to get the really blue shots of the sky that many people do.. i've read somebody using 2 polarisers to achieve better effect..

so what do i combine.. 2 circulars ?

can i combine 1 circular and 1 linear ? been wanting to get a linear to compare the difference...

or is it just a matter of technical skill and i shouldn't waste my money... ?

i'm just a newbie you see lol.

sorry, I always like to confront the root of the question rather than the question itself....there are other ways to get what you want.

1) Wait for a blue sky, and just use one PL. Those guys who got really blue sky did not shoot on a cloudy day. You just have to wait for the right moment on a lucky day.

2) Underexpose a little, and try metering at the sky. Slight underexposure can accentuate the blue.

3) Do it in photoshop.

There, cheaper solutions, don't have to think so hard. ;)

Originally posted by sequitur
hi there...

i just can't seem to get the really blue shots of the sky that many people do.. i've read somebody using 2 polarisers to achieve better effect..

so what do i combine.. 2 circulars ?

can i combine 1 circular and 1 linear ? been wanting to get a linear to compare the difference...

or is it just a matter of technical skill and i shouldn't waste my money... ?

i'm just a newbie you see lol.

Tweek is right! wait for a better & more contrasting skylight.

however, when necessary to shoot in a pale sky, i use a grey gradual colour filter as an add onto PL so as to bring a darker sky

you see...

i'm still a newbie
so i try to stand by a few principles..

1. i don't edit anything that looks ugly in photoshop
2. i'll only use photoshop to convert color into black and white (coz the 717 doesn't have a B&W function)
3. i'll try to get the best shots using equipment not by editing..

yeah..

basically it all sums up to that i'm still a learner and i wanna do it the tough way.. lol

so uh.. back to the questions pls :p

basically it all sums up to that i'm still a learner and i wanna do it the tough way.. lol

the tough way will be my solution number 1. ;)

ok back to the question, to which I have no answer, so sorry. Someone else help this guy out pls!

actually i've only got the really nice blue sky once.. and only once.
it was so blue it looked fake
lol

but i love it :p

hmm

i know there's some technique written on a webpage but i seriously don't understand it.. haha

Originally posted by NiVleK
Hmmm... i can get a nice blue sky but my foreground will be underexposed..then how ar?

use fill-flash to light up the foreground.

But my foreground is very very far away...like landscape photos..

oh oh...use a ND Grad Filter then. Been wanting to try using one myself.

hi there...

Why don't you get hold of a few people who did the 'very blue sky' pictures and ask them. i think most of them cheated and used PS.

Polarisers are almost double the thinkness of a normal filter. Adding two will certainly cause vignetting if wide open, and not to mention your viewfinder will be so dark you might wonder if you took the lens cap off. Also good quality PL very expensive. Two of them can buy a decent prime.

Originally posted by ST1100
Why don't you get hold of a few people who did the 'very blue sky' pictures and ask them. i think most of them cheated and used PS.

Polarisers are almost double the thinkness of a normal filter. Adding two will certainly cause vignetting if wide open, and not to mention your viewfinder will be so dark you might wonder if you took the lens cap off. Also good quality PL very expensive. Two of them can buy a decent prime.

Newbie here too!

Whats prime? :D

hmmm

i use hoya polariser leh.. $35 only.. buy one more just add another $35.. sell a few old CDs and i think i can raise $35.. haha...

hi could u perhaps post ur nice blue sky?

imho nicest blues skies are very hot days, u dun need anything, just a faster shutter lower ISO. for normal "cloudlesser" days u just need a CPL or an ND can liao, no need PS or what. just set the WB to sunny to avoid slight cyan tinges. Overcast days are best for shooting things *under* the sun ;p...

otherwise u can wait until morning just before the sun ups, about 6 to 7am, then everything will be blue, if u're at sentosa or east coast shooting horizon and sea, all will look like a fake photo.

excuse me, guys!

if you cross two polarisers, you will cut off all the light passing through them.

a good polariser transmits about 40% of light. add another, and you will know the result.

Originally posted by ST1100

i tend to agree just a little.

if you happen to observe the sky, you will notice that the skies at around 9am to 10am and 4pm to 5pm is the most naturally polarised. you use a polariser to enhance the polarising effect and wala..... the result is a deep blue sky on your photo.

Oh oh, by the way, what is the correct method of using the polariser? Cos the filter can be turned around, then how we know its turned to the best angle? By our eyes?

Oh oh, by the way, what is the correct method of using the polariser? Cos the filter can be turned around, then how we know its turned to the best angle? By our eyes?

just turn till you see the desired effect lor..... you are using a SLR, are you?

Originally posted by mervlam
just turn till you see the desired effect lor..... you are using a SLR, are you?

Nope. Using the olympus C750. No money get SLR lah :p

More importantly, I want to learn more about the techniques, skills, technical terms, etc before plunging.

Status
Not open for further replies.