2 lens ok for Cambodia Trip?

josephlbt

Dec 10, 2008
Marine Parade
Hi

Newbie here.. going to Cambodia in March. have one kit lens 18-55mm and one zoom len 50-200mm.. Thats all i have..
any recommended additional lens for me to buy and bring along?? (budget around $300-$500)?

Can explain the Difference between Polarizing and ND filters
Can someone show the difference using comparison of photos? and explanation as well?
I was thinking of getting ND110 for sunrise and sunset shots, am i right?
or i just get polarizing filter?

Last edited:
Actually most if not all that you have asked could be found in the internet. Just briefly let me explain,
if you plan to shoot landscape with a nd filter, then u will need a tripod too cause shutter speed will be reduced.
A polarizer can darken the sky, remove reflections from water and colour saturation is also enhanced.
look here http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/polarizer.html

A nd filter, esp a nd110 will slow shutter to more than 30s thus u will have to learn how to switch and use bulb mode too. so what does nd filter do? reduce the amount of light entering thus reducing shutter speed. Why do we want that? cause they can make the the waters look smoky and others..

No more spoon feeding. search the net, it is not something u master in 1 day.

You need alot and alot of time to master ND filters.

What else are you thinking of getting? A prime? Your 2 lenses basically covers everything.

i went to cambodia a month ago, and 95% of the time i just used my 18-55... however, there might be some times you might feel the need for the 50-200

beyond this, rather than the lens, i suggest a gnd filter and cpl might be of more use... esp. if want to shoot some of the landscapes... the sun can be quite bright there you know

oh, and get a tripod too, esp. if u r going to angkor and want to shoot the sunrise and sunset

ur gear is good enough...use the shorter lens most of the time. when u're travelling..or when u're in a market or something.. u might wanna change ur lens (since u brought it there) and capture people from afar. sometimes if u;re too near..they might be shy. :)

thanks all for the info..
think this weekend i go get a polarising filter and "play" with it before going cambodia.
;p

i suggest a fast 35 or 50 mm prime. as i m replying thru iphone, i dunno what cam r using. if cropped body i suggest 35mm if not, 50 mm . like 1.8 or even 1.4 . depends on how much u wanna spend and whether u want to shoot closer or not bah.

as for polarising , basically it cuts light at a certain angle so as remove some unwanted reflections, yes it also cuts down by 1/3 to 2/3 stops of light, not sure exactly how much.. but u need to overexpose by abit for sure when using a cpl filter..

as for nd like nd110 , it cuts 10 stop of light from going in ur lens, so that during the day u can have long exposure times.. due to the filter being completely dark, u have to compose first, calculate the time that u wanna shoot before and after putting the nd filter.. but once u get used to it, its quite interesting.

I think the lenses u have r good enought, but do seriously consider bring a lightweight tripod along. will come in really useful when taking ur sunset, sunrise shots, u got to get there early walk around the whole place and find good spot n set up base.

yeap..lens enuff..get a tripod more impt..

Hi

Newbie here.. going to Cambodia in March. have one kit lens 18-55mm and one zoom len 50-200mm.. Thats all i have..
any recommended additional lens for me to buy and bring along?? (budget around $300-$500)?

Can explain the Difference between Polarizing and ND filters
Can someone show the difference using comparison of photos? and explanation as well?
I was thinking of getting ND110 for sunrise and sunset shots, am i right?
or i just get polarizing filter?

The lenses are okay as long as you're shooting during the day with plenty of light.

Will you need a tripod for landscape or night shots? I didn't need one for several years for my travel and I used an 18-55mm.

Polarizer filters are great for day shooting and landscapes, use it if you have one.

Use ND filters only if you have a lot of time for them, you need to spend a few hours getting it right if you haven't tried before. I've never used one because I don't spend a lot of time setting up for shots.

You'll probably use the 18-55mm more if your holiday is anything like one of those tour group packages, then for zoos and animals you might want to switch to 55-200mm. Just make sure you have something to clean the lenses, battery charger/adapter, a strong strap and carry bag.

Get a good bag. preferably those backpack if u walk around alot.
sling is good for changing of equipment.

I was there 2 weeks ago and I think you should be fine with your combination. What I had then was my 17-55mm and my 35mm. My 17-55mm was quite enough for everything but you'll have an advantage if you have a zoom lens if wanna get close or wanna take portrait shots while being discrete. I know i missed several shots because my 17-55 is just to short.

If you would add a lens i will still suggest a quick prime lens, that is for night photography. There are plenty of street shooting to do during the night so better have one that can do low light shooting.

2 lens is more then enough, it's not advisable to take too much gear for vacation unless your are making $$$ from your shots.
Always remember that you are ther for VACATION!!

2 lens is more then enough, it's not advisable to take too much gear for vacation unless your are making $$$ from your shots.
Always remember that you are ther for VACATION!!

LOL. totally agree.:bsmilie:

I would say in most situation the 2 lens will be sufficient. But personally what i brought was 12-24mm (sometimes you just need the wideness... 1 step back could be water:)), 50mm( for low light situation. f1.8 for nikon is good and light, if you have 35mm better still) and 18-200 (best lens for travel. no need to switch lens unless absolutely necessary).

Alright.. i think get the canon 430 EXII flash and the CPL first for this trip to cambodia.
tripod i have alrdy but cheapo one..
thanks for the suggestions.

most important is to enjoy urself. enjoy ur photography.

Brought 3 lens for my siem reap trip. UWA, 35mm prime and zoom, 35mm was used 80% of the time and UWA only when I took the sunset and sunrise and zoom when used at the floating village cos the nearest I can get to my subject is rather far for 35mm to be effective.

As for portrait, no worries with being discreet as the people are not camera shy. Just be courteous and if you want to take a close-up shot of them, ask them politely. Remember to bring lotsa candies/biscuits if you want to take close-up of the kids. They won't reject you and will stay still for you. For street photography, 35mm is very useful.

Enjoy your trip.