2.1, 3.3 or 4mp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stk

Jan 29, 2002
AMK, Singapore
Visit site
I'm currently using a 2.1mp camera and itching to upgrade.. got some questions..

1) For 4R photo development, is there noticeable improvement of 3.3mp over 2.1mp pics?

2) Which are the current models of good value for money 3.3mp and 4mp models I should consider?

Not likely that I'll wanna spend more than 1k.. but if i can convince myself to really go all the way and spend more.. will be looking at Nikon Coolpix 5700 and the Olympus E-10.. which of these would be better choice overall?

Appreciate any input.. ;)

besides higher resolution, do you need longer zoom, support for external flash, flip-out LCD for framing in difficult situations, low-noise high ISO, SLR-type, compact cameras?

Originally posted by stk
I'm currently using a 2.1mp camera and itching to upgrade.. got some questions..

1) For 4R photo development, is there noticeable improvement of 3.3mp over 2.1mp pics?

2) Which are the current models of good value for money 3.3mp and 4mp models I should consider?

Not likely that I'll wanna spend more than 1k.. but if i can convince myself to really go all the way and spend more.. will be looking at Nikon Coolpix 5700 and the Olympus E-10.. which of these would be better choice overall?

Appreciate any input.. ;)

Contrary to what camera marketers like to tell you, 2.1mp is good enough for up to 8R, and more than good enough for 4R. For $1000, you can try the Canon S30 or the Nikon Coolpix 4500.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by mpenza
besides higher resolution, do you need longer zoom, support for external flash, flip-out LCD for framing in difficult situations, low-noise high ISO, SLR-type, compact cameras?

Of course more of such features will be desirable.. :) I miss my old SLR at times.. :( so essential for me would be to have full manual control of shutter speed and aperture at times, tho most of the time i'd probably use aperture or shutter priority modes.

Longer zoom, hotshoe, flipable LCD etc... would all be added bonuses, but not really critical lor..

Tho not wanting to spend a lot more.. am tempted by the recent Olympus E-10 offer, but then a cheaper Nikon 5700 offers longer zoom and higher mp.. so :confused:

Originally posted by ckiang

Contrary to what camera marketers like to tell you, 2.1mp is good enough for up to 8R, and more than good enough for 4R. For $1000, you can try the Canon S30 or the Nikon Coolpix 4500.

Regards
CK

Yup.. know that 2.1mp is not good enuf for 8R.. So while i usually print 4R from my 2.1mp, am looking for a higher mp so that i can have the option to print 8R for those special pics.

But question.. if I only develop 4R, would a 3.3mp source look better than a 2.1mp source?

Slightly better, in my biased opinion.

But you can always upsample and process the 2MP shot to look as good as the 3MP shot.

If, like me, you rely a lot on post-processing and cropping, 3MP is definitely better, because there's more room to crop. I have cropped out almost 2/3 of a 3MP picture and printed it (after resampling), and it still looks good. That's a lot less than 2MP.

Originally posted by stk

Yup.. know that 2.1mp is not good enuf for 8R.. So while i usually print 4R from my 2.1mp, am looking for a higher mp so that i can have the option to print 8R for those special pics.

But question.. if I only develop 4R, would a 3.3mp source look better than a 2.1mp source?

No, I am trying to say 2.1mp IS enough for 8R. :)

At 4R, a 2.1mp file and 3.3mp wouldn't make a lot of difference.

Regards
CK

No, I am trying to say 2.1mp IS enough for 8R. :)

At 4R, a 2.1mp file and 3.3mp wouldn't make a lot of difference.

Regards
CK

Sori.. saw ur post wrongly.. :embrass:

But personally I've seen the 8R prints from 3.3mp is relatively more detailed than from 2.1mp source.. tho the 2.1mp one is pretty nice, but still loose out leh...

Originally posted by stk

But personally I've seen the 8R prints from 3.3mp is relatively more detailed than from 2.1mp source.. tho the 2.1mp one is pretty nice, but still loose out leh...

it might depend on the camera and the type of scene. for portraits, 2MP is generally good enough but for landscape shots, higher resolution helps to capture the small details. also, the difference could be due to other factors like lens quality or sharpening.

yeah depends on scene... just like flash pic are always looking sharper than long exposures... contrast mah..
I tried 2.1 on A4 think it's ok lor.. colour+black more impt than res

Hmm.. now wondering if the Olympus C3020 (currently at $599 at Harvey Norman) will meet my needs.. since it has all the manual controls I want.. but without the bonuses of longer zoom, external flash support, flippable lcd..

Won't hurt my pocket too much also.. :D

Originally posted by stk

Of coz, but at 4R, the differences between a 3.3mp and a 2.1mp image is not going to be a lot.

The more important thing is of course, the ultimate image quality, and this is governed by things such as lens quality, CCD quality, amount of noise, processing algorithm, sharpening, etc. For this reason, professional 3+ mp DSLRs like the Canon D30 can beat the crap out of any 3.3mp consumer digicam, maybe even the 4-5mp ones.

Regards
CK

The more important thing is of course, the ultimate image quality, and this is governed by things such as lens quality, CCD quality, amount of noise, processing algorithm, sharpening, etc. For this reason, professional 3+ mp DSLRs like the Canon D30 can beat the crap out of any 3.3mp consumer digicam, maybe even the 4-5mp ones.

Regards
CK

That's wat I think too.. when considering to go all the way and slurge... comparing between the $1.7k 4mp Olympus E-10 and the $1.5k 5mp Nikon 5700.. i'm leaning towards the E-10 for picture quality thought it's got less pixels..

Now half-hearted about spending so much liao.. thinking maybe just get the C3020 will do the trick since i'm no pro anyway..

Originally posted by stk

That's wat I think too.. when considering to go all the way and slurge... comparing between the $1.7k 4mp Olympus E-10 and the $1.5k 5mp Nikon 5700.. i'm leaning towards the E-10 for picture quality thought it's got less pixels..

Now half-hearted about spending so much liao.. thinking maybe just get the C3020 will do the trick since i'm no pro anyway..
Olympus E-10 is selling at $1.7k? just wonder where u asked the price?

btw, i thought almost all DSLR camera are above $2k? :dunno:

Originally posted by chenwei

If you trade-in any camera at Olympus, you could get the E10 for $1699 with 2x smartmedia (forgot the capacity).

I got the following equotes from Cathay Photo on 3 Sep 2002:

1) Olympus E10 @ S$1,620.00
2) Olympus E20 @ S$2,400.00
3) Nikon 5700 @ S$1,600.00
4) Minolta Dimage 7i @ S$1,550.00
free with purchase ( while offer/stock last )
- 64MB compact flash card
5) Sony F707 @ S$1,500.00

It's a promotion by Olympus.. got to trade in any camera.. think promotion should still be on.. think some of the other forum members have seen this offer in shops as well.. :)

http://www.e.olympus.com.sg/web/hom...13afab1b58db59d648256c330008670c?OpenDocument

For me think I go for the Olympus C3020 enough liao.. save the rest of the money for a rainy day.. hehee..

Originally posted by stk

It's a promotion by Olympus.. got to trade in any camera.. think promotion should still be on.. think some of the other forum members have seen this offer in shops as well.. :)

http://www.e.olympus.com.sg/web/hom...13afab1b58db59d648256c330008670c?OpenDocument

For me think I go for the Olympus C3020 enough liao.. save the rest of the money for a rainy day.. hehee..
i c... mm.... any camera including film camera???

btw, stk ur requirement changed a lot? from DSLR, 5700 to C3020? ;p

i c... mm.... any camera including film camera???

btw, stk ur requirement changed a lot? from DSLR, 5700 to C3020? ;p

think any spoilt camera also can.. ;)

Sigh.. was tempted to buy higher end lor.. but think think pocket and heart also pain.. :confused: It's like dreaming of buying a BMW and end up going for a Hyundai.. hehee...

U buying the E-10??

Btw.. I just received the following equotes from Cathay Photo today (27/9)..

1) Olympus C-4000 @ S$825.00
- 64MB smartmedia card
- GP Powerbank charger ket

2) Nikon Coolpix 4500 @ S$950.00

3) Olympus E-10 @ S$1,625.00
- 2 pcs x 64MB smartmedia card

4) Nikon Coolpix 5700 @ S$1,600.00 ( currently no stock )

Originally posted by stk

think any spoilt camera also can.. ;)

Sigh.. was tempted to buy higher end lor.. but think think pocket and heart also pain.. :confused:

U buying the E-10??

I just received the following equotes from Cathay Photo today (27/9)..

1) Olympus C-4000 @ S$825.00
- 64MB smartmedia card
- GP Powerbank charger ket

2) Nikon Coolpix 4500 @ S$950.00

3) Olympus E-10 @ S$1,625.00
- 2 pcs x 64MB smartmedia card

4) Nikon Coolpix 5700 @ S$1,600.00 ( currently no stock )
mm... like that huh.... sounds strange ;p

i am planing to buy one also, currently targeting 5700. still waiting my salary... :eek: i also feel heart pain but just think of i will regret after buying a cheap one, and once the money out, it will no longer worth that much, so even pain also need to go for higher end... :cry:

last time i asked around a new 5700 just $1550 ler... anyone get lower price than this?

mm... like that huh.... sounds strange ;p

i am planing to buy one also, currently targeting 5700. still waiting my salary... :eek: i also feel heart pain but just think of i will regret after buying a cheap one, and once the money out, it will no longer worth that much, so even pain also need to go for higher end... :cry:

last time i asked around a new 5700 just $1550 ler... anyone get lower price than this?

Guess I'm one of those guys that prefer to go for value for money stuff rather than needing the latest high end stuff. The 5700 and E10 were only at the back of my mind as possible options if I can convince myself to spend that much. For digital camera, I feel that technology is still improving pretty fast lor.. so those expensive new high end stuff tends to become more affordable and mainstream after a year or two.. Just a couple years back, a 3.3mp Canon G1 was considered top of the line (consumer cam) and the item of desire for many.. costing ard $1.4k (if i remember correctly). Today even 4mp cameras like the G2 are better and more affordable liao..

Btw.. I've bought the C3020 liao.. think will last me for a couple of years before I get tempted to upgrade again.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.