"1st-world status, flip-flop lifestyle"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
there were a few articles in ST today that really made me cringe, this one was one of them
on page S11 of the Saturday section

One on our dressing being sloppy in Singapore, where the writer compares our tshirts and slippers style to people who don't care and who litter.
I think that the analogy between slippers and littering is a big stretch. I think that using our dress sense as an analogy for a "clueless national character" is the craziest generalisation I have ever heard.

I also think that the constant comparison between the dress sense of Singaporeans and other countries tends to narrow-minded and lacking in understanding.

It would be easy to dismiss the Indians for wearing sarongs and sandals, and to simply assume that a certain kind of dressing is more appropriate than others based on the precedent set by other countries (mainly western) is disappointing.

Even within the category of shorts, t-shirts and slippers there are different levels of quality and aesthetic (a $300 t-shirt from Bathing Ape and a $8 Baleno t-shirt have different meaning).

A simple generalisation of this style of dressing reveals a level of journalistic laziness that is astounding.

:rolleyes:

FYI, the people on serangoon road, dress up on weekends
while most singaporeans dress down on weekends

there were a few articles in ST today that really made me cringe, this one was one of them

One on our dressing being sloppy in Singapore, where the writer compares our tshirts and slippers style to people who don't care and who litter.
I think that the analogy between slippers and littering is a big stretch. I think that using our dress sense as an analogy for a "clueless national character" is the craziest generalisation I have ever heard.

I also think that the constant comparison between the dress sense of Singaporeans and other countries tends to narrow-minded and lacking in understanding.

It would be easy to dismiss the Indians for wearing sarongs and sandals, and to simply assume that a certain kind of dressing is more appropriate than others based on the precedent set by other countries (mainly western) is disappointing.

Even within the category of shorts, t-shirts and slippers there are different levels of quality and aesthetic (a $300 t-shirt from Bathing Ape and a $8 Baleno t-shirt have different meaning).

A simple generalisation of this style of dressing reveals a level of journalistic laziness that is astounding.

who's the dumbass reporter who wrote that drivel? yes sometimes people's dress sense is questionable but taking a few bad apples and then using them to generalize the entire population is just plain idiotic and lazy writing.:angry:

who's the dumbass reporter who wrote that drivel? yes sometimes people's dress sense is questionable but taking a few bad apples and then using them to generalize the entire population is just plain idiotic and lazy writing.:angry:

writer is Lee Siew Hua.
This is a followup of sorts to an article written by Frankie Chee last week that got 2 whole pages in the Sunday Times Life section.

What really triggered off my reaction was this constant comparison to other countries. I don't understand why we have to keep comparing ourselves to other countries, the worst is when its based on comparisons that seem to reveal a certain lack of real-life experience in the writers.
The last article said that a few countries had "cutting edge fashionistas" or something along those lines, one of these cities being Hong Kong.

The last time I checked the people on the street in Hong Kong weren't that astoundingly dressed.

Or when we have people comparing Singapore to London, New York, Shanghai, etc etc.
and I'm always rolling my eyeballs when I read that sort of thing.

I have to say that I love Singaporean dressing to some degree, I think that the shorts girls wear here are incredibly sexy, and I am endlessly fascinated by the variations and combinations of something as simple as berms and t-shirts. There's a whole hierachy in this brand of slippers versus that brand of slippers.

If we keep our minds open and don't prejudge on what is "good" or "bad" dressing it's easier to appreciate the minor differences and variations in something like shorts and slippers dressing.
(it's like McDonalds, it's the same company serving nearly the same food all over the world but if you take the time to taste each country's McDonalds you can tell that they all vary to some degree)

writer is Lee Siew Hua.
This is a followup of sorts to an article written by Frankie Chee last week that got 2 whole pages in the Sunday Times Life section.

What really triggered off my reaction was this constant comparison to other countries. I don't understand why we have to keep comparing ourselves to other countries, the worst is when its based on comparisons that seem to reveal a certain lack of real-life experience in the writers.
The last article said that a few countries had "cutting edge fashionistas" or something along those lines, one of these cities being Hong Kong.

The last time I checked the people on the street in Hong Kong weren't that astoundingly dressed.

Or when we have people comparing Singapore to London, New York, Shanghai, etc etc.
and I'm always rolling my eyeballs when I read that sort of thing.

I have to say that I love Singaporean dressing to some degree, I think that the shorts girls wear here are incredibly sexy, and I am endlessly fascinated by the variations and combinations of something as simple as berms and t-shirts. There's a whole hierachy in this brand of slippers versus that brand of slippers.

If we keep our minds open and don't prejudge on what is "good" or "bad" dressing it's easier to appreciate the minor differences and variations in something like shorts and slippers dressing.
(it's like McDonalds, it's the same company serving nearly the same food all over the world but if you take the time to taste each country's McDonalds you can tell that they all vary to some degree)

meh the local papers are nothing but rags that aren't even fit for use in my toilet. Between this and that other rape fiasco here I dun think the local journalists would even know what true journalism is if it whacked them with a mallet with a sign saying real news story here.

comapre this to the well dressed p@ppies in white to the slipper flipping Tan Lead Shake.

comapre this to the well dressed p@ppies in white to the slipper flipping Tan Lead Shake.

compare tan lead shake to the rich guys living in SoHo in New York,dressed in shorts and singlet and slippers who walk into Helmut Lang and buy USD$250 slippers

true, I've seen them regularly

compare tan lead shake to the rich guys living in SoHo in New York,dressed in shorts and singlet and slippers who walk into Helmut Lang and buy USD$250 slippers

true, I've seen them regularly

:bsmilie:me too that always made me smile. sigh brings back memories.

this i have to comment on

to be fair, even the weather plays a part.

winter in london is the time when people tend to dress up the most, and it stays relatively cool throughout the rest of the year so slippers and berms, etc.. are not practical unless the people want to end up sniffling their days away.

give them a sunny day though, and you'll see londoners sprawled in skimpy outfits, er, rolling on the grass in hyde park. :bsmilie:

this i have to comment on

to be fair, even the weather plays a part.

winter in london is the time when people tend to dress up the most, and it stays relatively cool throughout the rest of the year so slippers and berms, etc.. are not practical unless the people want to end up sniffling their days away.

give them a sunny day though, and you'll see londoners sprawled in skimpy outfits, er, rolling on the grass in hyde park. :bsmilie:

not forgetting the europeans do go to the nude beach, nothing beat the emperor's new clothes

Maybe the reporter should write a follow up piece to ask the government to hand out annual clothing bonuses. :bsmilie:

Maybe the reporter should write a follow up piece to ask the government to hand out annual clothing bonuses. :bsmilie:

& end up with more burmudas/shorts & slippers on the streets! :bsmilie:

or build a huge glass dome over Sg & air-con it? like the Simpson's movie! ;p

who says we are first world status?
we are not.

who says we are first world status?
we are not.

Well, we can and should be allowed to wear anything we want ...

however, wearing flip flops to a 5 star hotel for a wedding dinner, that spells a lot about the local mentality .... and I do not mean anything positive about it ...

this is NOT style ...

How much your flip-flops or T-shirt costs is irrelevant. Some people don't seem to get that idea.

And yes, I am sure we have all seen how people dress up to go weddings here. It's disgusting, and it DOES reflect on the person's mentality that he/she is no better than people who litter.

However, on a day to day basis, what the average person wears on the street is fine by me. Weather hot, lah. And personally, the s-man always appreciates seeing a bit of skin. :)

I think that the analogy between slippers and littering is a big stretch.

Non sequitur logic. The author wants to prove a perhaps observable malaise, but goes lazy in search of proof or reasoning and then makes up his own dots to connect.

talking about wedding dinners, i also cringe when i see how photographers dress to shoot wedding dinners
we must respect the occasion, if it is a black tie affair then the photographer must also dress the part or at least a shirt and pants

talking about wedding dinners, i also cringe when i see how photographers dress to shoot wedding dinners
we must respect the occasion, if it is a black tie affair then the photographer must also dress the part or at least a shirt and pants

why? what they wear? for their work i think it makes to be more practical with the dressing since they have to be able to move around...though dressing like you're a bum shouldn't be excused.

well, if soo many people think flip-flops are the "in" thing now. i must follow mah, last time oni go wet-market with them, then "fashionistas" made them look trendy in town. how can i go against the grain & dress differently? my friends will walk far far from me like i trying to dress smart (& act smart), cannot lah. :bsmilie:

the flip-flop brigade now soo strong, 1 day might even export this (flop) culture & conquer the world of fashion! :devil:

NDP that day wear 1 red 1 white?! on boh?..

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.