1st Walkabout with 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishbrade

May 31, 2007
Singapore
Hi guys,

Here are some shot-to-death pictures from my first walkabout with the 400D and 18-55 kit lens. Took some rookie shots, and hope you guys can give me some good advice on exposure and composition. Processed on Picasa while I pick up more knowledge on how to use PS.

Thanks alot!

IMG_0700.jpg

Since this scene is shot-to-death....another one wouldn't make it dead-er. Haha. Does the shot look "senget" to you or just the perspective of the lens?

IMG_0707.jpg

I tried setting it at the smallest aperture but the people just refused to move. No people "flowing" through the picture as I had hoped for.

IMG_0717.jpg

Again, no flowing people to make the shot look more lively. Actually there were quite a few passer-bys but the exposure was so long that they didnt show up. Perhaps choose a location where the passer-bys are more lit up?

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

One Raffles Quay with Hong Leong building in the background. I got chased away by the security guards for not having a permit to shoot in the premise of the building.

not sure if its on my screen only... but i find your photos underexposed...

just my 2 cents... :dunno:

you used P mode to shoot?
1st pic F29 and 15s expose time i think is a wrong combination for this pic, underesposed;

3rd pic F22 and 20s, the same problem as 1st pic

One Raffles Quay with Hong Leong building in the background. I got chased away by the security guards for not having a permit to shoot in the premise of the building.

Ya, the security there is very unkind, see ppl with glasses

1st pic F29 and 15s expose time i think is a wrong combination for this pic, underesposed;

not sure if its on my screen only... but i find your photos underexposed...

just my 2 cents... :dunno:

Thanks for your advice guys. Yah. That concerned me as well. When I was taking the photos with the manual mode, I tried my best to see own closely the exposures came to what I see with my eyes, but still....

What should I do. Should the exposure be longer? How does one determine the correct exposure time for nite shots? What is the rule of thumb for balancing underexposure and the lit areas being over-exposed? Was the choice of location wrong (ie. the contrast between lit and dark areas too great)?

I will probably try again next weekend with your tips.

Thanks again guys!

Wah! TS used F20++ to shoot? I usually use around F10 to obtain the sweet spot (sharpness) of my lens, furthermore a shorter shutter time to obtain the same exposure levels minimizes the chances of blurring even though tripod is used (my tripod only 60bucks...not solid enough).

If possible take raw for this types of shots, can change the exposure later. And also, raw preserve alot of lighting details as well.

Nice pics by the way!

I'm have the same problem with my 30D also. I think the Canon exposure program tend to underexpose by about 1/2 to 1 EV, more evident in low light situation thought. Any thoughts?

I'm have the same problem with my 30D also. I think the Canon exposure program tend to underexpose by about 1/2 to 1 EV, more evident in low light situation thought. Any thoughts?

solution is to shoot 3 or more in the same place use different setting ;)
for me, i know my 400D may have the "underexposed" problem when the 1st day i have it, if you think the place is really nice, just take more than 3 pics with different setting. after thousands times your cam will be very well controlled by you :thumbsup:

Wah! TS used F20++ to shoot? I usually use around F10 to obtain the sweet spot (sharpness) of my lens, furthermore a shorter shutter time to obtain the same exposure levels minimizes the chances of blurring even though tripod is used (my tripod only 60bucks...not solid enough).

If possible take raw for this types of shots, can change the exposure later. And also, raw preserve alot of lighting details as well.

Nice pics by the way!

Thanks bro. And I am grateful for your tip on using a larger ap to get better sharpness and using the raw format. The pics really didnt come out that sharp until I enhanced the sharpness.

hi there, my 2c is also like elmzarcega's, underexposed. i do appreciate the clarity of the lamps (no bleeding) + the star bursts effect due to long exposure, but perhaps you need to let in more light.

keep shooting! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.