1st try on Zoom Shoot

furnituresg

Jun 15, 2010
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
do shots look better with a double image of the buildings like #2 or like #1?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
saw someone did a image on another site that look fantastic, thus tried this immediately on the night i got the new cam.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
was taken in the middle on the night about 2am. really cant wait to try the zoom effect

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
personally i think if my house have a better view or a more iconic bright building in the middle of the image it might look better

Please do advice on what are the aspects to improve on, this is really my 1st DSLR and really hoping to learn more before i go out and do my night shots.

edited%200.jpg

IMG_0379.JPG

Last edited:
there should be a main subject, normally place in the center so it still show up evening with the zooming effect.

is this edited?
how did u acheive this effect?

there should be a main subject, normally place in the center so it still show up evening with the zooming effect.

the photo i saw was a building in the middle and it looks great with the effect.
too bad my house no great view.

but really not sure if the 1st one effect better or the 2nd one...

is this edited?

not edited, jus have 10-15 seconds of shutter speed, 1st 3 seconds dun touch, then zoom in/out the lens then let it hold another 3 seconds, still trying out to find the best combination of the timing see which permutation is better.
i think if i hold longer before zooming in out, it should look better

the photo i saw was a building in the middle and it looks great with the effect.
too bad my house no great view.

but really not sure if the 1st one effect better or the 2nd one...

problem is, it is "blackout" as compare to the rest of HDB flats and it is small.

is this edited?

problem is, it is "blackout" as compare to the rest of HDB flats and it is small.

i mean the photo i saw in another site, not mine, cos when i frame it to have buildings end to end the "black" school is in the middle...later then i realise, will have to try out again one of this days when i go out for night shoot

even with the zooming effect, you still need to have a interesting subject, else it is just a snap shot of zooming effect.

Number 1 is better in my opinion. But i think the subject is not quite outstanding. The thing about emphasizing the small house in the middle, i felt that the building is offcenter. if you tilted the zoom lens down or up alittle to center the building. you may achieve what you are looking for.

Number 1 is better in my opinion. But i think the subject is not quite outstanding. The thing about emphasizing the small house in the middle, i felt that the building is offcenter. if you tilted the zoom lens down or up alittle to center the building. you may achieve what you are looking for.

thanks, will try to centralise when i get to try again the next time round

even with the zooming effect, you still need to have a interesting subject, else it is just a snap shot of zooming effect.

Thanks, will look for something interesting for the middle as subject.
thanks

I think there should be some sort of main subject or something similar, to focus the attention on. Right now, only the effect looks cool and that's about it

I think zoom effect should have this kind of look, http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4737392375_979d58d210_b_d.jpg
Center in focus, yet gradual and not excessive, so need to control your shutter. I know the crane is small and bg not nice, but just get the idea of the effect.

thanks tetrflare
how did you acheive this shot?
did you focus on the crane and zoom in and follow the movement?

Yes, exactly that. Handheld, no tripod, zoom smoothly while pressing shutter. Works well when you want to isolate the focus point from a crowd of ppl/objects also.

Yes, exactly that. Handheld, no tripod, zoom smoothly while pressing shutter. Works well when you want to isolate the focus point from a crowd of ppl/objects also.
great noted...
will try this form of zoom 1 of this days...