1st try on reverse macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
Guys, as usual all comment and critique welcomed.

This Grassy blue Laser is so tame that my lens is almost touching it. Only frame added and size reduced. No other photoshop job done on it. Aperature was set at f11

CUTECALVIN-reverse_macro_50mm_033a.jpg

This is a 100% crop of the above image.

CUTECALVIN-reverse_macro_50mm_033_crop.jpg

I am yet to buy the Tamron Macro lens, should be this week.

Reverse macro technique surprised me with the quality. Maybe because that I am not so exposed to this area of photography.
De'Switch, quickly buy the TAMRON! 'Mai than liao.'

De'Switch said:
This Grassy blue Laser is so tame that my lens is almost touching it.
Hi Switch,

This is a Lesser Grass Blue, not Grassy blue Laser as what you have indicated in your post :) .

I find the shot is a bit too soft, pershaps you could perform some USM on the shot? ;p

Good try and hope to see more works of you. :)

sumball said:
Hi Switch,

This is a Lesser Grass Blue, not Grassy blue Laser as what you have indicated in your post :) .

I find the shot is a bit too soft, pershaps you could perform some USM on the shot? ;p

Good try and hope to see more works for you. :)

Thanks for the correction. I'm still on the early stage of the learning curve so thats why it soft. However I think I had a slight improvement from my last post using the sigma Lens as this setup is easier to handheld. This forum have a lot of macro masters that I can learn from.

It is depending on what you want to photograph. In your first post, you mentioned that the rear element of your lens is almost touching the butt but the magnification that you got is not that great as compare to other setup so if you want to photograph other tinier subjects like spiders, ants, ....etc you might have difficulty in doing so. I think this butt is about the size of at least a 5 cents coin which is considered as quite "big" as compare to other subjects as I mentioned above.

I still believe that, your Sigma 70-300 1:2 lens could deliver more decent shots than your current setup, just my opinion. :)

Almost touching, its about 10cm from the subjects and in fact its a miracle the butt did not flew away.

But my sigma is so hard to focus as its heavy. The Tamron 90mm is also 1:1 so that means I cant use it to take tiny insects ? I was about to buy it liao. I had tried using tripod with my sigma setup but find it too troublesome and scared off the butterflies before I could take a shot. However I only use my built-in flash.

I was thinking of buying the Tamron 90mm Macro and the Sigma DG500 flash tomorrow. Just received e-quote from MS. $565 and $399 respectively.

Wont go wrong with both of the items in your purchasing list.

sometimes depend on weather condition too....if its for outdoor insect shots....gonna have a tough time focusing if its windy....:bsmilie:

Thanks. In fact I did spot a tiny spider while I was shooting the butt and only manage to get 1 shot at it but it was under the leaves and thus the flash light didnt get through and the shot was unser exposed. and like you said the spider look real small.

Status
Not open for further replies.