flightspeed

Feb 26, 2006
Sold my Nikon 5700 and now tryin to take up this hobby ... first try at DSLR

My doggie on my bed

steffie.jpg

After a hard day at work

astrayi.jpg

TEACH ME ! :)

doggie picture very nice. compostition of the picture is good.

the 2nd one perhaps move up the camera so can take more of the top of the cigarette holder

thks ... still learning picture composition etc ... took all these using the "Auto" mode :embrass: coz the rest of the functions i dont really know how to use .

for which picture pls ? I m still tryin to learn the functions ....

Id say very nice try for a first time with a DSLR, the fundamentals are pretty good especially exposure and composition, the only bad point is the dogs paw has been chopped off in number one and in number two the direct flash has left a few streaks on the lamp and ash tray. But overall good job, get out and find some more interesting subjects, shoot some more and post some more :thumbsup:

Nice try, but you've really got to watch out for the highlights as well as the details. Like Wildstallion has mentioned, the paw in the first is chopped off.

I suspect for the first, you metered on the back portion of the Dog's fur, which is why your whites are gone.

Keep going!

wah ..... erm ..... i m speechless ...... coz i dont even understand a thing u guys are saying :embrass:

I am not sure abt metering ,is that the target thingy i see when i look thru the camera? Compositon ? I did it all in auto mode ... guess i'd have to be a lil more "artistic" n get some interesting shots ... Basically i just shoot n pick the nicest lookin one :)

Thanks for all the comments , really appreciate it :D

Still learning .........

Its ok, technical jargon can be mind boggling at first.

Composition simply refers to how and where you positioned your subject (the dog and ashtray)

Metering basically is measuring the light intensity in a given area and then getting a correct setting to give an optimum exposure. There are a few basic types of metering, spot, center weighted and matrix are the 3 most likley to be in your camera.

In auto mode the camera does it all for you, In A/Av mode you can change the aperture which lets more or less light into the camera. In S/Tv mode you change the shutter which lets light enter for a longer or shorter amount of time (the camera automaticaly takes care of the shutterspeed and aperture respectively) and in M you can change both to get a manual exposure setting.

Hope this helps

Thks for the explanation wildstallion :) I m using a Nikon D70s . only got 3 metering modes to choose from .

Hopefully when i switch to the Canon 400D there'll be more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.