1st timer wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

upitreks

Mar 18, 2004
Yishun
Hi, guys.

This is my 1st time doing wedding photography for a friend of mine.
It's a malay-ang moh wedding.
Will start at 8.30am in the morning at R.O.M and ends at Hilton S'pore by 11.30pm
Will be shag by then.. :sweat:
I don't know how much I should quote them. :dunno:
By the way, I'm using digital SLR and I'm not required to print the photos.
I will burn a CD full with the pics for them instead. ( that is what they want )
Is $350 for the day's event alright? Or am I asking too little?
Please do advice. Thank you. :)

the price... depend on your skill and your confidence in them.

$350 for a whole day shoot definitely too low. You did not factor in the time you need to post process your photographer. That is a lot of effort and eye power you need to use.

Do factor in your equipment overhead and running cost. When your flash or shutter fail during the shoot your client is not going to feel sorry for you. One flash cost 300-500, shutter replacement 150+++

A more decent price for an amatuer would be around the range of 700-800 min. There are people shooting for very low or even free.... I do not deny, it will affect the image of us photographer as overcharging when it is a very fair sum for the job.

So exercise your judgement. Hope i have been of help.

For $350.............

It includes,

1) Transport costs.
2) Electricity costs. (charging batteries and post processing work on PC)
3) More than 20 hours of hard work (including post processing and travelling time)
4) Your own reputation as a photographer. (If you are good, you sold yourself off too cheaply. If accident happens, cannot account to clients and lose potential future clients)
5) Risk of equipment damages/wear and tear.
6) Contributing to a possible escalation in price wars. (Let's break each other ricebowl! :devil: )
7) Risk of not being able to revert back to the market rate if words spread around about this cheap price.
8) Your own leisure time.
9) A learning experience for yourself.
10) A portfolio for yourself.

Oh well..........perhaps life in Singapore is too boring. With so much time and energy to spare, why think so much? Just Shoot! :angel:

zekai said:
$350 for a whole day shoot definitely too low.
A more decent price for an amatuer would be around the range of 700-800 min. .

Never knew that a 1st timer doing PJ Actual day could command $700. :) Maybe advanced amateurs who has done 20 weddings can command 1.4k?
I ought to switch to full time pro!

Hi, if it's your best friend, do not consider the cost, just charge enuff to clear off the costs of processing and making the cds...since it's your friend. What i suggest learning as much as you can from this shoot since it's your first...so don't worry too much about the cash factor. Learn to time when you take your shots, getting the perfect moments..etc... $350 sounds okay to just burn them on to a CD. Making prints is a different story as they cost alot of cash...

Patryk said:
Making prints is a different story as they cost alot of cash...

30 cents each for 4R. 1.50 for 8R, 1.80 for 8x12" S8R. 200pcs of the best 4Rs and 20pcs of S8R blow-ups costs < $100, lab using Frontier with decent operators on Fuji CA Supreme (good stuff). Some charge the sky for this. :)

I think S$700 is a too high for first timers. My "master", taught me how to shoot wedding events, who is a pro, charges $700 for a full actual day with 5 rolls of 36. The going rate for non-pros for is around $350-$450 (without development).

For me, I shoot FREE :bsmilie: . Why? coz I only agree to shoot such events when they are my good friends. All I ask is a decent meal at the end. I have shot a couple of such events and spent hours of my time on the post-processing also becoz they are my good friends. If you don't charge, its a favor. Once you charge, its business and die die also must deliver or else friends no more. This is especially so when money is involved.

Wedding photography is defintely not a game....... :sweat:

Hmm i likes tbteng points :)... and is cool thou :p

tbteng said:
I think S$700 is a too high for first timers. My "master", taught me how to shoot wedding events, who is a pro, charges $700 for a full actual day with 5 rolls of 36. The going rate for non-pros for is around $350-$450 (without development).

For me, I shoot FREE :bsmilie: . Why? coz I only agree to shoot such events when they are my good friends. All I ask is a decent meal at the end. I have shot a couple of such events and spent hours of my time on the post-processing also becoz they are my good friends. If you don't charge, its a favor. Once you charge, its business and die die also must deliver or else friends no more. This is especially so when money is involved.

Wedding photography is defintely not a game....... :sweat:

My idea is 700-800 for 10 roll so in comparison with your "master" not really very expensive right?

zekai said:
My idea is 700-800 for 10 roll so in comparison with your "master" not really very expensive right?

I'm not a pro, so can't really confirm on this but based on what I know, all full day weddings need approx. 8 rolls plus-minus. Its normally a package deal of approx no. of rolls and additional $40-$50 per roll after that. I shoot digital of course. So, I'm more "trigger happy" and always exceed that. As to the price, can't comment much as the events that I do, even the ones that I shoot for my company as main/backup photographer (AD&Ds, parties, teambuilding programs, employee events, etc), are all FREE...

But I prefer to be the backup, less pressure mah. :sweatsm: . If I find the moment interesting, I just take a few shots. Else I just enjoy myself during the events. Life doesn't have to be that stressful if you're not a pro. And a lot of times, after seeing the pro work, I feel fortunte that I am not a pro. I have better control coz its a hobby and not a job. :bsmilie:

upitreks said:
Hi, guys.

This is my 1st time doing wedding photography for a friend of mine.
It's a malay-ang moh wedding.
Will start at 8.30am in the morning at R.O.M and ends at Hilton S'pore by 11.30pm
Will be shag by then.. :sweat:
I don't know how much I should quote them. :dunno:
By the way, I'm using digital SLR and I'm not required to print the photos.
I will burn a CD full with the pics for them instead. ( that is what they want )
Is $350 for the day's event alright? Or am I asking too little?
Please do advice. Thank you. :)

Oh!.. Come on!... by rite, you shouldnt even charged your friend, maybe the raw cost but hey...how much is that?!... and to think that you are a first timer.... you should be thabkful that your friend have trust in you. Take this chance to practise and explore. You can start charging people when u r confident and there is a good portfolio under your belt!

As for u charging them $350... it's ok lah!...as a token and the trouble you have to take to take the pictures....

If you really want to charge people...make sure the pictures you took it worthly... i know a lot of CAMERAMAN who takes pictures any how and charge like $600 and above. And I do know that some PHOTOGRAPHER takes very good pictures.

Many can become CAMERAMAN but a few can be PHOTOGRAPHER! Face it!

Stop all this pricing war thingy where some people spoil market here or there.... hey!, if you are good, you shouldnt be afraid of the cheapos eating through your rice bowls!

Sorry ah..abit off the track! But it's true!

I guess if its a good friend, u dont need to charge so much.....just help him out abit.

yhyh said:
I guess if its a good friend, u dont need to charge so much.....just help him out abit.

Thanks for all the advice guys. :)
Really appreciate it.

Sorry for the OT.

2100 said:
30 cents each for 4R. 1.50 for 8R, 1.80 for 8x12" S8R. 200pcs of the best 4Rs and 20pcs of S8R blow-ups costs < $100, lab using Frontier with decent operators on Fuji CA Supreme (good stuff). Some charge the sky for this. :)

1.50 for 8R, 1.80 for 8x12" S8R? :bigeyes: I am paying nearly the sky for this. Can share where is the lab?

I have done several weddings for friends and cousin. All free, but they just give a big ang pow can already. How much, depends on their affordability and how much they value your help.

I have done only about 5 weddings over the years. All of which are my good friends. I did not charge them a cent since no hard copy printing are involved. Only received a special red packet. Least that will kinda off set the red packet I give to them as gift. I will be doing this 'free wedding photography' thing for the last time next month. Good for gaining exposure and also advertising to their friends and families. In future, my plans are to charge at the rate of $40 - 50 per hour. That will include hard copies, softcopy on CD, and even DVD slideshows.

Status
Not open for further replies.