1st Time in BKK/ Carrying Equipment

knight84

Mar 1, 2009
West Side
Hi Guys

I have read a couple of threads BKK, what to do, what to avoid, places to go for photography etc.

My questions pertains to carrying photographic gear.

I normally walk around with 2 cameras, 1 on either shoulder ( D60 with 35mm f1.8 and D300 11-16 f2.8) and a waist pouch with an extra lens( 90mm f2.8 and lensbaby composer), memory cards, water bottle, guide book etc. Water resistant covers for my cameras.

This is what I do in Singapore and to an extent in KL ( though I am never alone there). I will most likely be alone in BKK. Since it is my first trip I dont plan on exploring back alley's etc.. I plan to stick to the regular stuff, Grand Palace, Wat Arun etc..

What I'd like to know, is it safe to sling to cameras on my shoulders and walk or will that attract undue attention.

Also if you can tell me how you guys carry your gear that would be awesome.

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers
A

Hi Guys

I have read a couple of threads BKK, what to do, what to avoid, places to go for photography etc.

I normally walk around with 2 cameras, 1 on either shoulder ( D60 with 35mm f1.8 and D300 11-16 f2.8) and a waist pouch with an extra lens( 90mm f2.8 and lensbaby composer), memory cards, water bottle, guide book etc. Water resistant covers for my cameras.

This is what I do in Singapore and to an extent in KL ( though I am never alone there). I will most likely be alone in BKK. Since it is my first trip I dont plan on exploring back alley's etc.. I plan to stick to the regular stuff, Grand Palace, Wat Arun etc..

What I'd like to know, is it safe to sling to cameras on my shoulders and walk or will that attract undue attention.

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers
A

been to BKK last year with my d90 + 18-105 (then) and 70-300 + sb900. went on a side trip to pattaya. no incidents. of course, that's not a guarantee it's safe there. just had to be extra conscious of the people around me, and didn't wander out alone esp at night.

only advise i can give based on my own experience is, if you don't plan on doing street photography there, keep your cam out of sight (in your bag, but keep your bag within YOUR sight) until you reach your "tourist spot" like grand palace, etc where it's relatively safer than out in the streets.

as for the "carrying" of the gear, i assume u refer to how to sling it? if so, don't sling it like u would a shoulder bag, too easy to get snatched away. better lengthen the strap and sling it across your body. personally i'm not comfortable with using the sling, other than to wrap it around my wrist and just hold the cam. i feel it's safer that way, don't ask me why. it's a preference. :D

just my own 2-cents-from-experience thing :sweat:

Just came back from Bangkok, I wrap one around my wrist and another in my bag. In between location, put them in the bag..... and I covered Pak Klong Talat, Klong Toei and somewhere around Chinatown to name a few..... none of the tourist area this time around.

I do see people slinging their camera, but I guess before anything happen you better be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your input..

The only reason I dont like to wrap around my wrist is cause I cant use both cams at one time! I carry 2 so that I have diff lenses with me at a moment's disposal. Wearing them across like a messenger bag while I am shooting seems to be a practical solution to my problem.

Was at bkk sometime back... alone too.

Instead of using a backpack, i choose a shoulder bag, and ensure that the bag is in front of me at all times. At least it saved me the constant thoughts of watching my back, and, gets hysterical whether the person at my back would open up the bag and steal the glasses.

The neck strap of the camera was replaced with a plain black one, instead of using the original 'please rob me' type.

The brand and model on the camera was tapped up too.

I do get stares at times, but, nothing worse than slinging two branded cameras, which sent a message "I am a rich tourist". You may not get robbed, but, you definitely get hunted down by the tuk-tuk drivers haha.

End of the day, just remain low profile lar.

you are safe.
this is BKK
This is not the backlane of Batam, Indonesia.

The rich in BKK are VERY rich. Your cam is not worth anything to them. They got $300 Million or more.
The poor do not rob as far as I know.
Ever wear expensive watch into so called gangster area in BKK.
No trouble.

Saw a guy in Chattuchak wandering around with a D3 in one hand, and his shopping in the other. No problems whatsoever.

He was twice my size though...

went a couple of months ago. it just shows people that you are tourist and tuk tuk drivers will come aiming at you.

what i did was just hang my camera in front of me so i can protect it.

BKK is a pretty safe place. of course don't be complacent and careless where u put your valuables. btw carrying 2 cameras around seem quite hardcore. are u there for work?

The thing is I have been to Chaing Mai and the people there were extremely nice except for those tuk tuk drivers who were not that bad also la.BKK being more populated i guess I have to be more careful.

BKK is a pretty safe place. of course don't be complacent and careless where u put your valuables. btw carrying 2 cameras around seem quite hardcore. are u there for work?

Work well yes, some work related stuff but photography is purely a hobby. I carry 2 bodies cause 1. I have them so might as well use them. 2. I dont like to sit around changing lenses so i use 2 lenses I am most comfortable with in terms of focal length. etc

I have a 18 105 nikkor, it has served me well but its IQ cant match up to the faster lenses like the f1.8 and f2.8's. I had considered selling my d60 and getting a 18 200 but decided against it as i enjoy shooting wide open.

Thanks a lot everyone..

Last edited:
BKK is actually very safe for photographers. Been there many times and almost no one bats an eyelid when they see me carrying my DSLR. There is nothing worst than being a self-conscious photographer always feeling that people are eyeing you.

Thai people are generally polite people. When in doubt, just smile :)

Just exercise common sense i.e not walk around very deserted streets at night.

BKK is actually very safe for photographers. Been there many times and almost no one bats an eyelid when they see me carrying my DSLR. There is nothing worst than being a self-conscious photographer always feeling that people are eyeing you.

Thai people are generally polite people. When in doubt, just smile :)

Just exercise common sense i.e not walk around very deserted streets at night.

you are safe.
this is BKK
This is not the backlane of Batam, Indonesia.

The rich in BKK are VERY rich. Your cam is not worth anything to them. They got $300 Million or more.
The poor do not rob as far as I know.
Ever wear expensive watch into so called gangster area in BKK.
No trouble.

ya !
U ARE VERY SAFE IN BKK !:thumbsup::
Thai people are generally polite people just smile.....:D

i sling my camera D3 on my shoulders and walk back alley day & night,
after one mouth in BKK i have many friends in thailand + 25000 photos.

my camera is D3 + 24-70mm, memory cards, map of BKK.no water bottle.......
enjoy U will love THAILAND ! :heart:

some photos about my trip(2010 april) & new friends in BKK......
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676511

tungtong2010:heart:Thailand !

Hi Guys

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers
A

Dear Knight,

Since you are a Knight, you shouldn't be put off by a few punkis..:bsmilie::bsmilie:
Honestly, BKK is save to roam about in the day. During nite, avoid nite spots place unless you know how to Smile & Krung-kun Krap. Not everyone ia like Bro Tungtong to get such nice connections & posts.

Overall, BKK is a great place to be, dont forget to take a trip to River Market(hold your cam tight thou).

Enjoy

Ok guys I got back not too long ago!! Honestly I had no issue walking around with my cams! no one bothered or really stared at me or tried to follow me.. Was very easy carrying my camera arnd bkk. Only thing you gotta watch your surroundings all the time..dont ever keep yr camera away from you..not for a single second..

pics will be posted at my flickr www.flickr.com/singhangad

nothing to be afraid off. i travel Thailand since the 1970 up today, I carry Leica and canon 1DsM2 openly all round Thailand even up to Lao and Angkok Wat. It is safe.

BKK is generally v safe, though of course, be sensible as you would in any other big city. I've walked around BKK quite a bit alone (and I'm female!), and people have been nothing but warm and friendly, more than willing to help with directions. They're generally OK with their photo being taken, but I like to ask first before taking. :)

hi dude, i am going to bkk \next month too for a course, i will have a first day free for me to roam, where is the good place for me to take the nice scenic photos?