1st shoot at AHBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi just went to AHBT trying my luck to shoot some butterfly before I go Queenway shopping ^ ^.

This my first time shooting of butterfly. They are at least 7-8 or more species in the gardens they are really very "active".... Only got chance to shoot fews = . =.

Not even know what the name of these beauties.

#1 - Aperture priority f/11, 1/100 ISO 200 ~ : Chilades pandava pandava (Cycad Blue)
3143609260_fc228af66e_b.jpg

#2 - Aperture priority f/11, 1/100 ISO 200 : Junonia hedonia ida (Chocolate Pansy)
3142779421_7efaac60cd_b.jpg

#3 - Aperture priority f/11, 1/100 ISO 200 : Polyura hebe plautus (Plain Nawab)
3143608994_73cc93c0a7_b.jpg

#4 - Aperture priority f/11, 1/100 ISO 200 : Junonia hedonia ida (Chocolate Pansy) Upper side
3143609138_3b645cb284_b.jpg

#5 - Aperture priority f/11, 1/60 ISO 200 : Elymnias hypermnestra agina (Common Palmfly)
3143609088_e57072f669_o.jpg

Thanks viewing~

Last edited:
Lastly share 1 hopper - first time I met a giant hopper about 8-9cm long :what:

3142779527_fd012bd384_b.jpg

You need to have a lot of patience shooting butterflies, much more than other insects. Very good first attempt and AH is a great place to practise butterfly shooting. You seem to be a budding hardcore macro shooter. Can see that you are constantly shooting and posting. Keep up the good work. :)

You seem to be a budding hardcore macro shooter. Can see that you are constantly shooting and posting. Keep up the good work. :)

Hi Falcon, Hahaha me a budding hardcore macro shooter? ;) that's because my company shut down for TWO WEEKS!!!! so I got time to going here and there ;p

Tomorrow Sentosa tour with my colleague ^ ^ just bring along macro lens see any chance to shoot somethings hehe~

Your shots really improved after each posting. This series is better than your previous posts.

I see some motion blur on number 1,2,3 and 5. A tripod or a faster shutter speed will help. You might also want to state the EXIF info for each pic you post so that it is easier for the viewer to see where is your mistake.

You can also tone down your flash a little bit more.

Cheers.

Hi JC,

Good captures on your first try in Butterfly Photography!

The scientific and common name of the species you have shot are:

#1 Chilades pandava pandava (Cycad Blue)

#2 Junonia hedonia ida (Chocolate Pansy)

#3 Polyura hebe plautus (Plain Nawab)

#4 Junonia hedonia ida (Chocolate Pansy) Upper side

#5 Elymnias hypermnestra agina (Common Palmfly)

If you are interested in more butterfly related articles do visit Butterflies of Singapore Blogspot

:cheers:

I see some motion blur on number 1,2,3 and 5. A tripod or a faster shutter speed will help. You might also want to state the EXIF info for each pic....You can also tone down your flash a little bit more. Cheers.

Hi tanhb,
Thanks for the advice ^ ^. Haha actually each butterfly I shots near to 10 pics left only only 1 or 2 which is much better, but still with motion blur due to hand shake :cry:
I added pic shooting info. ontop of the pics.

The scientific and common name of the species you have shot are:
#1 Chilades pandava pandava (Cycad Blue)
#2 Junonia hedonia ida (Chocolate Pansy)
#3 Polyura hebe plautus (Plain Nawab)
#4 Junonia hedonia ida (Chocolate Pansy) Upper side
#5 Elymnias hypermnestra agina (Common Palmfly)
:cheers:

Hi Bluesteel, will try to improve more ;p and thanks for the scientific and common name of the species that you provided. I had added ontop of the pic for easy reference.

Good first attempt! Realise that your settings are similar?
f/11? You don't really need to use higher f/setting if you're parallel with the wings. Some can go as low as f/4 :) resulting in a higher shutter maybe 1/640s.(figures are estimate) Nevertheless a great first attempt!

Sentosa got butterfly park, you might be interested to try.

Cheers!

Good first attempt! Realise that your settings are similar?
f/11? You don't really need to use higher f/setting if you're parallel with the wings. Some can go as low as f/4 :) resulting in a higher shutter maybe 1/640s.(figures are estimate) Nevertheless a great first attempt!

Sentosa got butterfly park, you might be interested to try.

Cheers!

Hi benetay, haha me still new in macro shooting (Kindergarten stage) and there still alots to learn from you guys (senior csers) ;p sometimes minds just dont work action taken faster (shoot...shoot...shoot...) haha. Will try to learn from mistake!

Yup~;) there're lots of beautiful butterflies in Sentosa Butterfly park, will post it later in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.