1st pic post


Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#1
Hi, your comments please on this photo I took last night. Taken handheld (well, hand against a railing :D).


Second one taken last week:



Comments on composition etc most welcome! Thanks!
 

Adiemus

Senior Member
May 21, 2004
1,676
1
38
46
Small island....
#3
Hey ...

are you the one who was near to fullerton... shooting the esplanade using the railing...
you were using a small canon digital camera or other camera?

;p
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#5
Adiemus said:
Hey ...

are you the one who was near to fullerton... shooting the esplanade using the railing...
you were using a small canon digital camera or other camera?

;p
Err, nope. I was the one near the Esplanade shooting the Fullerton using a D70 with a 50mm 1.8D :D But I was using the railing....
 

Brandon

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
419
0
0
CCK
#7
Yup, I like the 2nd one :)

The first one is too slanted for my comfort and the top part is a bit too tightly cropped

As for the second one, the lighting is wonderful, I love how the brightness slowly change into darkness. Composition is good too.

My nitpick would be the small 2 lights on the right and one on top. If you could crop them away or avoid taking them in the picture, it would be perfect :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing :)
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#8
Brandon said:
Yup, I like the 2nd one :)

The first one is too slanted for my comfort and the top part is a bit too tightly cropped

As for the second one, the lighting is wonderful, I love how the brightness slowly change into darkness. Composition is good too.

My nitpick would be the small 2 lights on the right and one on top. If you could crop them away or avoid taking them in the picture, it would be perfect :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing :)
Great tip, thanks for pointing it out :)
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#10
Hosea said:
2nd shot would be nice if without those yellow stripes at the top right corner.
:D
Heh, unfortunately, those stripes are actually the balcony of the floor above me.. can't crop it either or I'll crop off the skylight :(
 

Hosea

New Member
Apr 20, 2004
4,972
1
0
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
#11
Gymrat76 said:
Heh, unfortunately, those stripes are actually the balcony of the floor above me.. can't crop it either or I'll crop off the skylight :(
:D sometimes we really can't have what we want, just do our best.
Is this at Pan Pacific Hotel?
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#12
Hosea said:
:D sometimes we really can't have what we want, just do our best.
Is this at Pan Pacific Hotel?
Concorde Hotel.. the weather was good that day, very cloudy, else the light coming in the top would have been too bright.. shot after buffet lunch :bsmilie:
 

Hosea

New Member
Apr 20, 2004
4,972
1
0
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
#13
Gymrat76 said:
Concorde Hotel.. the weather was good that day, very cloudy, else the light coming in the top would have been too bright.. shot after buffet lunch :bsmilie:
oh ya, if the sky is too bright it would be rather difficult to meter and get a good shot.
Btw, the fullerton hotel shot, are you trying to balance yourself on the rail, it tilt a lot. :bsmilie:
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#14
Hosea said:
oh ya, if the sky is too bright it would be rather difficult to meter and get a good shot.
Btw, the fullerton hotel shot, are you trying to balance yourself on the rail, it tilt a lot. :bsmilie:
:bsmilie: Took that shot for fun, the railing was a bit wet because it rained yesterday so I tilted a bit to avoid the wet patch :D
 

Hosea

New Member
Apr 20, 2004
4,972
1
0
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
#15
Gymrat76 said:
:bsmilie: Took that shot for fun, the railing was a bit wet because it rained yesterday so I tilted a bit to avoid the wet patch :D
Good try, hope to see more posting. I am also using D70 :D
Did you bought any additional lenses beside the kit, I am yet to buy one.
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#16
Hosea said:
Good try, hope to see more posting. I am also using D70 :D
Did you bought any additional lenses beside the kit, I am yet to buy one.
No moolah to buy lenses.. only have the 50mm 1.8D besides the kit lens..saving up for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR :D But it will be a long, long, long time before I can justify to the "boss" about buying that :(
 

Hosea

New Member
Apr 20, 2004
4,972
1
0
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
#18
Gymrat76 said:
No moolah to buy lenses.. only have the 50mm 1.8D besides the kit lens..saving up for the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR :D But it will be a long, long, long time before I can justify to the "boss" about buying that :(
:bsmilie: you need to write a justification report to your 'boss' ah.
Think that lens is very exp..about S$$$$?
What is 50mm 1.8D go for? shooting what kind of photo, I meant.
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#19
Hosea said:
:bsmilie: you need to write a justification report to your 'boss' ah.
Think that lens is very exp..about S$$$$?
What is 50mm 1.8D go for? shooting what kind of photo, I meant.
Last I checked CP was selling the 70-200VR for $3100 Way, way out of budget for a hobbist like me :cry:

The 50mm 1.8D is a very nice, pretty cheap and very sharp lens. Good for portrait shots (though with the DSLRs 1.5x crop factor you'd have stand a ways off), and very nice for shooting in low light. Gives good bokeh for portrait shots at wider apertures.. oh, and did I mention it was SHARP? :)

Cheap lens, that at around $175-180 I'd recommend buying it, even if you end up not using it much :D
 

Hosea

New Member
Apr 20, 2004
4,972
1
0
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
#20
Gymrat76 said:
Last I checked CP was selling the 70-200VR for $3100 Way, way out of budget for a hobbist like me :cry:

The 50mm 1.8D is a very nice, pretty cheap and very sharp lens. Good for portrait shots (though with the DSLRs 1.5x crop factor you'd have stand a ways off), and very nice for shooting in low light. Gives good bokeh for portrait shots at wider apertures.. oh, and did I mention it was SHARP? :)

Cheap lens, that at around $175-180 I'd recommend buying it, even if you end up not using it much :D
Wow,so good ah.. mind to take a shot and show it here. So this is good for portrait and we dont need to carry a heavy 70-200vr liao.
can you shoot some portrait close shot with 50mm, 1.8D ( this is the complete description of this lens,right).I want to see its effect.
Thanks
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom