1st Photo -

ClemC

Jun 12, 2010
Within myself
This is my first post to the Critique Corner. Guess I have reached a cross-road where I want to make a decision on how serious (or how far) I should move forward with this hobby. Would also like to know how my sense of "beauty" deviate from this community of photographers. COMMENTS please. :)

DSC_6068_DxO%20(small).jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Mood - evoke any feeling? + Composition. (Comments welcome for both the full-body composition or half-body composition)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
During this trip, I wanted to capture images of "medieval towns" + "the modern lifestyle in a medieval town environment"

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Image captured around 6:30pm (early evening), temperature between 9-12 degree Celcius. An opportunity shot - I was taking a picture of a building during the "blue" hour but this elderly saleman peeking out immediately caught/shifted my attention.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the shot. I guess it is the atmosphere and the short time-span (1-2 sec) that I have to create this shot. (include exposure + point focus) BUT one man/women's meat may be another man/women's poison. :)

There is a nice balance between the cropped and wider versions ..... lovely exposure and spot on too

The moment seems spontaneous and contrast between the bright and shadows seems to enhance that warm inside vs cold dark outside contrasts

AND the red glasses sitting on top of his head adds a very nice balance to the image

But it feels weird...... dunno ...maybe its just me..... i would have much preferred a larger wide version with the cropped version go small instead ... just me

:thumbsup:

I like the cropped version more. Why?I like that emotion of the guy's face more than anything.

But one thing about the cropped version, you need to clone away, or crop away that elbow (in leather jacket) on the right side of the frame.

great shot. I dunno how to explain. It feels like everything to make a good photo is there. The mood is there.

very nice!!

i can't bring about what kind of feel it gives but it sure does invoke some sort of feeling in me when i look at them.
.... and after staring at it for awhile, i suddenly start to think of my grandpa... though i have seen neither of them before.

Nice Shot!

There is a nice balance between the cropped and wider versions ..... lovely exposure and spot on too
The moment seems spontaneous and contrast between the bright and shadows seems to enhance that warm inside vs cold dark outside contrasts
AND the red glasses sitting on top of his head adds a very nice balance to the image
But it feels weird...... dunno ...maybe its just me..... i would have much preferred a larger wide version with the cropped version go small instead ... just me
:thumbsup:

Ed9119, appreciate your Critiques/Comments, great to have a response after two days. Comments from fellow photographers are definitely refreshing.

Moment definitely spontaneous - run off 3 shots and only have one shot of him looking in my direction (guess most European dont like being photographed :))

I like the red-rimmed spec as well :) Add a youthful feel to a middle-age well dressed Venetian man.

As to the "But it feels weird" - Guess that is the difference that make each of us unqiue in a certain way.

I like the cropped version more. Why?I like that emotion of the guy's face more than anything.
But one thing about the cropped version, you need to clone away, or crop away that elbow (in leather jacket) on the right side of the frame.
Daredevil123 - I agree with u, for the full-bodied composition, will need to print at least a A3 size to have a good look at the emotion on the guy's face. As to the cropped version, will definitely crop more off the right and a little more off the bottom in the final print.

p.s. Enjoy your landscape shots (in your Bertz website), will post a landscape photo for your critique in the future (and learn a bit more PS (PP) skill from you)

NICE capture. excellent timing and face expression.
Thanks - appreciate critique. Positive comments do reinforce current practice as well.

great shot. I dunno how to explain. It feels like everything to make a good photo is there. The mood is there.
Thanks - photo standout for me (personally) as well because of the mood it bring :)

very nice!!
i can't bring about what kind of feel it gives but it sure does invoke some sort of feeling in me when i look at them.
.... and after staring at it for awhile, i suddenly start to think of my grandpa... though i have seen neither of them before.
Nice Shot!
I like Ed9119 comment and will borrow it here "contrast between the bright and shadows seems to enhance that warm inside vs cold dark outside", not sure if that is the feel for you but I think Ed put it down very well.
Jovian - very happy to know that the photo invoke feelings of grandpa - have a great warm feeling for me now.

crop the cropped version further to square or 7x6, there is no need for the space on the right.

Dear all - Thanks for your C&C. After 3 days of non-activity, I guess whoever want to have a say has given his/her inputs. The new image below takes into consideration C&C from fellow photographers. (summary - most prefer the close-up view, prefer the look/emotion of the guy and want additional crop on the right)

New Title: Kool Grandpa
DSC_6068_DxO%20(crop).jpg

Thanks Again

first thing i saw the image. my first words was "strong"

i like the image, how it is balanced out. it draws attention immediately to the man on the left. agreed with ddvl abt the arm, but its just a nitty gritty detail. overall photo is impressive:thumbsup:

Nice first photo. keep the good works coming!

first thing i saw the image. my first words was "strong"
i like the image, how it is balanced out. it draws attention immediately to the man on the left. agreed with ddvl abt the arm, but its just a nitty gritty detail. overall photo is impressive:thumbsup:
allenleonhart - If the first thing you see is the photographer, your first words will be "fat" & "old" :lovegrin: As for the photograph - appreciate your kinds words. Will aim for beter and better shots :)

allenleonhart - If the first thing you see is the photographer, your first words will be "fat" & "old" :lovegrin: As for the photograph - appreciate your kinds words. Will aim for beter and better shots :)

old ginger is always spicy:bsmilie: perhaps a stronger contrast might be good during post processing. i see some potential in black and white too, due to very heavy overall yellow color:think:

ts hope you doesnt mind. i took your image and converted to BnW. i thought this could be a possible conversion

dsc6068dxocrop.jpg

perhaps you might wanna consider this too?

old ginger is always spicy:bsmilie: perhaps a stronger contrast might be good during post processing. i see some potential in black and white too, due to very heavy overall yellow color:think:

How you know I am reading a book on b/w processing. :think: I dont think I am ready to do a good pure b/w (with texture & proper contrast) now, give me another year to re-learn b/w (in diigital form)

ts hope you doesnt mind. i took your image and converted to BnW. i thought this could be a possible conversion

Allenleonhart - I dont mind :) It is my pleasure that you took the effort to provide an alternative view :cool: a good alternative view.

How you know I am reading a book on b/w processing. :think: I dont think I am ready to do a good pure b/w (with texture & proper contrast) now, give me another year to re-learn b/w (in diigital form)

Allenleonhart - I dont mind :) It is my pleasure that you took the effort to provide an alternative view :cool: a good alternative view.

:bsmilie: np.

one reading material you might wanna consider
http://digital-photography-school.c...justment-layers-blending-modes-photoshop.html

i quote daredevil. shadows, midtones, highlights!:bsmilie:

dsc6068dxocrop.jpg

I think the original colour looks nicer. May be it gives a happier/warmer mood :)