1st look at Ricoh GR for street photography

nelson-tan

Apr 10, 2010
I've posted up a preview of the Ricoh GR pre-production camera based on v1.11 firmware. The article focuses on how the Ricoh GR performs as a street photography camera, instead of the technical quality of the images (which isn't accurate on a pre-production unit).

The F-Stops Here - Ricoh GR - Return of the Legend

It's a GReat street camera...

Excellent write-up! And some nice street photos you got there.

I agree that GR is so far the best street photography camera I've ever tried. Its small size, easy of operation, 28/2.8 lens and excellent IQ made the camera one of the best pocket cameras.

This might be the game changer for Ricoh.

Seems like the accolades for this camera seems to keep pouring in.

There were claims from Mingthein that the AF during darker surrounds are a wee bit slow. If you guys can share your views on the AF in lower light, that'll be good. ;-)

Seems like the accolades for this camera seems to keep pouring in.

There were claims from Mingthein that the AF during darker surrounds are a wee bit slow. If you guys can share your views on the AF in lower light, that'll be good. ;-)

Yes, AF under low light slows down quite a bit, but still feels faster than X100 (which also has pretty slow AF under low light). I'd say it's perfectly usable :)

Yes, AF under low light slows down quite a bit, but still feels faster than X100 (which also has pretty slow AF under low light). I'd say it's perfectly usable :)

Great to hear that. Because the way Mingthein puts it across seems to be more than just wee bit slower.

GR040066a by Nelson_Tan, on Flickr

Another image from the pre-production camera...

Last edited:

So the AF slower , but is there problems focussing at night outdoor with no street light? Like Kr can't focus at night but the K5 , K5 IIs proven to have no such night AF focussing. I guess on the GR one can just set the focussing distance and it would snap shots.

I guess on the GR one can just set the focussing distance and it would snap shots.

Erm... Please do not take this offensively becoz I honestly do not have any intention to make it out as such.

Isn't this considered zone focusing? It works out the same for all lenses if one knows how to read aperture range and its relative hyperfocal distance.

So the AF slower , but is there problems focussing at night outdoor with no street light? Like Kr can't focus at night but the K5 , K5 IIs proven to have no such night AF focussing. I guess on the GR one can just set the focussing distance and it would snap shots.

So far I've no problem focusing at night in hawk center or around. I probably won't shoot anything if it's as dark as w/ no street light though.

Yes, you can use snap focusing feature on GR which works pretty well for street photos :)

Erm... Please do not take this offensively becoz I honestly do not have any intention to make it out as such.

Isn't this considered zone focusing? It works out the same for all lenses if one knows how to read aperture range and its relative hyperfocal distance.

Ya, agree, just we are so used to AF that we forget manual focus in the dark using the distance markings on some lens. I am just wondering I the AF in low light in GR is as good as the K5 IIs or not.

[video=youtube;5OiLMqJ_ntA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OiLMqJ_ntA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I received some request to see the images in higher resolution, so I've done up a slide show. Click "HD" in the Youtube control and view in "full screen mode" to see the video in high resolution!