1st Concert Shoot--Advice Requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluz

May 3, 2003
Singapore
homepage.mac.com
I plan to shoot a concert where my kid will be performing this weekend. It is in an enclosed school concert hall and I'm possibly 20-30m away from the stage (which will be brightly lit).
I plan to to use either the Nikon 8800 or the Canon 20D.

Should i decide to lug the 20D, may i ask whether the 70-300 DO lens can make it? Or do I need to lug the bigger 70-200 IS lens?
I will be shooting without flash since I am also the "caddy"--carrying many other stuff for the performer (my kid).

It is also probable that I use the Nikon 8800 since i can also shoot video with it. In this case do you think i can also make it wihout the flash (for photo's)?

Many thanks in advance.

bluz said:
I plan to shoot a concert where my kid will be performing this weekend. It is in an enclosed school concert hall and I'm possibly 20-30m away from the stage (which will be brightly lit).
I plan to to use either the Nikon 8800 or the Canon 20D.

Should i decide to lug the 20D, may i ask whether the 70-300 DO lens can make it? Or do I need to lug the bigger 70-200 IS lens?
I will be shooting without flash since I am also the "caddy"--carrying many other stuff for the performer (my kid).

It is also probable that I use the Nikon 8800 since i can also shoot video with it. In this case do you think i can also make it wihout the flash (for photo's)?

Many thanks in advance.

IMHO, enjoy the show or shoot video. Get your kid to post with some classmate before/after the show. If not, 1st time sure stressful and not able to enjoy or picture turn out not nice (wasted effort for such a important occasion.)

Personally i felt you should bring your 8800 (for video) too esp after you have edited and view on TV/PC....you WON'T regret...don't have to shoot in full size TV mode cos can only record for a minute...try the 320 x 240...14mins is good enough...you can resize in adobe premiere later.. (although not that clear but nevertheless good enough) :thumbsup:

i still have a good time watching my little nephew performance in nursary despite thirty over times!! Always makes my day...:bsmilie:

Use a Video Cam for video, put it on a tripod and leave it there.
And then use the DSLR with a fast lens to shoot without flash.

Thank you all for your advice. (I didn't think the day will come when i thank Satan ha ha.)
Will take up Snowcrash's advice and enjoy the show instead of shooting. I think the school would engage professional photographers and cameraman--so photos and DVD's could be available later on.
Will bring along the 8800 in case fingers get itchy...
Have a nice day all.

It is best to have lens that F2.8 or bigger. Standard lens or standard zoom with a big aperture (F2.8 or below) is good that is provided that you can go close. Otherwise it is a 70-200mm with a F2.8 aperture. Flash is not a option most concert will not allow flash photography.

CaeSiuM said:
Why not enjoy the show, buy the photographs outside and get a copy of the VCD/DVD as well? :p

btw, which CDC/Kindergarten is your child in?

i did just that--sat back and enjoyed the show. Photos and DVD will be available soon. My kid is in a private preschool.

singscott said:
It is best to have lens that F2.8 or bigger. Standard lens or standard zoom with a big aperture (F2.8 or below) is good that is provided that you can go close. Otherwise it is a 70-200mm with a F2.8 aperture. Flash is not a option most concert will not allow flash photography.

The 20D + F2.8 70-200 IS was a bit too bulky for me to carry around given my baggage. The std lens too short from where i was seated. Actually the 8800 worked pretty well for the few shots that i took. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.