1st attempt shooting neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

blanket

Jun 3, 2006
dsc02439hh1.png

Appreciate comments and pointers :)

how about sharing with us some points about your work?

Zaren said:
some guidelines for photographers posting photos for critique;
1. know your subject
2. draw attention to your subject
3. simplify.
it would also be helpful to post a short paragraph telling us why you took the pic and what you were trying to achieve photographically.

:)

how about sharing with us some points about your work?

:)

Hi, the subject is on the "stone urn"(used to burn incense paper) on the bottom right. It is to show the emptyness after qing ming jie..

I see. Hmmm, could have gone closer?:dunno:

I see your point, but the photo didn't really work out for me. At first glance, i didn't know what it was saying about till i read your comment. Sorry!

Hi. Thanks for all of your comments.

Mind giving comments about the framing/composition, color,exposure/sharpness of the pic and how can i further improve it..?
Thankx in advance:)

The picture background has some distractions that draws away from the subject intended. this is due to the parked card in the HDB block and the leaves plus the tree formed a frame that focused the attention away. The subject is the stone urn as mentioned but the tree being in the center of the subject does not emphasize nor contrast against the subject. Try shooting from the other direction and find an angle that will separate the tree and the stone urn from your frame. It maybe more interesting to shoot it in the late afternoon where the sun is about to set.

Just my two cents thought about the picture.

quite a plain picture imho... i agree that the background is distracting, and that if ur subject is the urn, focus on the urn... draw viewer's attention to the urn... and maybe you could push the contrast and saturation more to enhance colours... play around wif ur camera more and look @ how other photogs shoot... we are all still learning so yeah have fun! nice try for a 1st attempt

maybe abit of bokeh on the background might help?

My say:

alittle PP can bring out the intended subject better... like some others say if you have a OOF background it can help too :)

i hope you don't mind me editing your photos... just want to tell you roughly what you can achieve.

457274155_55ddd40f78_o.jpg

think cullenjeremy is right. from furz glance it does look like a regular table, and to be honest, i've never seen an urn like that before.:embrass: i always thought the urn would be this big red bin of such wif holes in the side, u know..the typical ones found at the bottom of HDB flats(if u know wat i'm talking abt)
i originally thought ur photo was trying to tell us abt the loneliness of the table. maybe u might consider adding a prop to visually enhance ur point?
and also the bg of the building is rather distracting too:)

A good composition is one in which you're able to guess or tell straight away the theme or even the title of the picture. Usually this is done by determining a main subject in the composition and depending on the photographer, to shoot it in his own artistic freedom to highlight that subject.

For your picture, since your main idea is to bring out the emptiness of qing ming jie, you can think of creative ways to bring out the desired effect. Your picture has too much info, it is like music with too much extra sounds which distracts the audience from the main theme. One way is to use depth of view (large aperture) to keep the urn in focus and the rest out of focus. Another way is to go closer and do a close up (maybe peering right inside the urn?).

Always explore other angles, crops, DOF, colour...etc...to try to shoot the desired theme. Take many shoots and view on your computer. More is better!

I'm also exploring this area and learning too. So i just want to share what I know with you! Hope it helps!

thanks for all of your comments!

plain. boring. boring angle. Try shooting down from the top floor looking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.