1Ds Problem - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jianghai_ho

Feb 2, 2003
Serangoon
Visit site
Hi all!

I recently (like a week ago maybe) bought a 1Ds from a CSer and I just discovered this problem. Since Canon's service center will only be open Tuesday (when I will bring it in), I was wondering if any of you could help with this, because it's just driving me nuts.

Basically the problem only occurs at very high shutter speeds (in excess of 1/1000, that's why I initially didn't see it), and at these speeds there is a band at the top of the frame (if it is horizontal).

Example photos: (images straight from camera, large jpeg resized to 800px on the long side)

DC7U0941.jpg

Click here for larger Image
Camera: Canon 1Ds
Lens: 16-35/2.8L @ 23mm
Shutter: 1/4000
Aperture: f2.8
ISO: 400

DC7U0791.jpg

Lens: Sigma 70-200/2.8 @ 200mm
Shutter: 1/2000
Aperture: f2.8
ISO: 200

Anyways I've done some tests and have found that the problem has to do with the camera, and possibly the shutter, because the problem occurs with multiple lenses, and the severity increases with higher shutter speed. Below is an image of my light panel (from the days I actually shot transparencies) without a lens mounted.

DC7U1266.jpg

Shutter: 1/5300
ISO: 200

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance (and happy new year!)
Jianghai

This is about the worst case of a bad CMOS senor that I have seen.

The best thing for you to do is to go to Canon Service Centre and have them have a look at it. Also show them the results that you've been getting from the camera.

Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely going to do that. Just sourcing for opinions.

Update:
I tried the the high shutter speeds with FP flash on my 550EX and I can't for the life of me reproduce the problem, whether with bounced or direct flash. I tried 1/8000 shutter speed.

I think it may be a shutter rather than a CMOS problem. May just be a bit "sticky". For high shutter speeds, the shutter moves across as a slit and my just be sticking a bit at the beginning before it moves across the frame.

With flash you will not be able to reproduce the problem it is is shutter issue.

Hope that it is becuase I think shutter much cheaper to change than sensor

imo its a shutter problem,
and it will set u back by about $400.

not too much of a problem.
seller gives any warranty??

all the best and happy new year!
at least try to be happy hor ;)

jude

Hmmm...

If it's the shutter then would a CLA by canon would be enough, or do you think that the shutter has to be replaced.

cheers,
Jianghai

Well I just sent it in today to Canon. Shutter change. $400. SMSed the seller but he just kept quiet. Just my luck I suppose. Even though he didn't guarantee anything it still isn't nice to not offer to help or do anything.

jianghai_ho said:
Well I just sent it in today to Canon. Shutter change. $400. SMSed the seller but he just kept quiet. Just my luck I suppose. Even though he didn't guarantee anything it still isn't nice to not offer to help or do anything.

Tough luck bro. There were 2 sellers in the market, both claimed low actuations. If your seller is one of them, it would really reflect their dishonesty.

Haha, my 300D also got this problem once in a blue moon. But your is the 1Ds also got this problem then better ask lor.

Just be thankful it is the shutter and not the sensor. Can imagine that would cost perhaps over 2000 bucks.

Given that the camera retailed for the current 1DsII price, I won't be surprised if the sensor caused much more than $2k.
In any case, the shutter replacement (which includes overall checking) should give you a peace of mind to enjoy the fantastic gear. Tough luck, but congrats on acquiring a great cam :)

Who is the tech that is looking at your problem?

Did you send in the cam and then told them to change the shutter or you sent the cam in and then they told you that it is a shutter problem?

Some Canon tech people are known to just offer a quick stab at the situation without properly analyzing what the real problem is.

Sharing from my experience.

agape01 said:
Who is the tech that is looking at your problem?

Did you send in the cam and then told them to change the shutter or you sent the cam in and then they told you that it is a shutter problem?

Some Canon tech people are known to just offer a quick stab at the situation without properly analyzing what the real problem is.

Sharing from my experience.

Well I went in and asked for the tech -- Dont' like to deal with the service staff usually when I have a problem. I showed him photos that I took that showed the effect and he said that it was a shutter problem. He said is wear & tear, even though the shutter count is very low. Can't remember his name, but remember that it ends with Y (and i think starts with A). Apparently he would be the one to change the shutter as well.

"Just be thankful it is the shutter and not the sensor. Can imagine that would cost perhaps over 2000 bucks.

Erm... I think I should be able to have the expectation that the camera be fully working no?

jianghai_ho said:
Erm... I think I should be able to have the expectation that the camera be fully working no?

Of course you should... I fully empathise... all the best man.

low shutter count doesn't mean won't die. just plain unlucky. like hard disks. mtbf doesn't guarantee a minimum number of hours of operation.

shinken said:
Tough luck bro. There were 2 sellers in the market, both claimed low actuations. If your seller is one of them, it would really reflect their dishonesty.

Shutter count is resetted every time you go for a shutter or sensor repair. So a cam that had gone through like 100k mileage will be resetted when there are probs due to wear and tear, so that Canon can monitor how much actuation cam had gone through since then.

End of the day it's up the integrity of the seller really.

Status
Not open for further replies.