1DIII vs 5DII

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Sorry as I have lost touch with the current line up. I intend to upgrade my 1D2 and now looking at either a 1D3 or a 5D2 as the used price for a 1D3 is similiar to the new 5D2.

So, I need advices on which body should I go for now? I am more on a macro shooter and shoot landscape occasionally. That's why I went for the 1.3x crop. I do not really need the 8fps on 1D series.

Any kind soul wanna enlighten me? :)

TIA

Regards
CM

Sorry as I have lost touch with the current line up. I intend to upgrade my 1D2 and now looking at either a 1D3 or a 5D2 as the used price for a 1D3 is similiar to the new 5D2.

So, I need advices on which body should I go for now? I am more on a macro shooter and shoot landscape occasionally. That's why I went for the 1.3x crop. I do not really need the 8fps on 1D series.

TIA

Regards
CM

You can consider 5D Mark II or 7D for such purposes.

macro shots would benefit more from cropped sensors... for landscape, there are lots of UWA lenses for cropped sensors as well...

hmm,.. 1Ds2 huh? How much is the used copy now?

Btw, i already owned 16-35, 15mm FE, and 24-70, with 70-200 for the long side...

Looks like you're looking for resolution, go with 5D Mark II. Nothing is as phenomenal as that for the price you're paying :)

Looks like you're looking for resolution, go with 5D Mark II. Nothing is as phenomenal as that for the price you're paying :)

I hv a 1dsmk2... Honestly, for 1dsmk2, 5d would b beta. Cos u dun need 45 af pt, 5fps... 5dmk2 has more mp so u hv more to crop...

I was sort of in the same situation. Cannot decide whether to have the 5d mark2 or 1d mark 3. I love the former for its full-frame when it comes to architecture and landscape. At the same time, I cannot resist the 1d mark 3 for its fast auto-focus and buffer for high fps when it comes to street and events photography. The 1d mark 3 with a zoom lens is always ideal for long range coverage such as wildlife photography. In the end... i got a copy of 2nd hand 1d mark 3 and still keep my 5d mark 2 ... the rest is history and I think i am still happy with the configuration... good thing is i manage to cover the investments with occasional projects from photography from time to time ...:)

In your case, unless you require the 21mp from the 5d mark2, I would say you would be happier with the 1d mark 3 upgrade. If you really need wide lenses, I am sure some of newer lenses from Canon would still be sufficient e.g. 14mm.

cheers,

Dan

TIA

Regards
CM

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advices.

Although I am going to upgrade but this does not mean to replace my trusted 1D2 which is still a very decent body. The feel of a 1D series is totally different. Main issue will be the noise control as the max I can use on the 1D2 will be 800, anything beyond 800 will be mainly for record purpose. As I mentioned, I shoot mostly macro and noise control give me very good choice to shoot at higher speed and the shallower DOF of a FF body will make my shots nicer (in terms of macro), of course, landscape, events, and portraits too.

I do not mind a lower resolution as I hardly blow to A3 size, max is S8R which I only need 8mp body to do the job. Thats why stuck in between 1D3 and 5D2...

Regards,
CM

agree with Daniel, to be frank compare 5D2 and 1D3... the later is more of an all-rounder. No doubts on 5D2's decent IQ and high MP, but the AF system really leaves a lot to desire.

The feel of 1-series when you own one is very different. As an owner of 1D3 myself, I would say the 1D3 is very usable even at ISO3200 but if you shoot at extremely high ISO you should be looking at 5D2 or 1D4 instead.