1D Mk II N - Fill-in Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanTahan

Apr 1, 2005
Tiong Bahru
Can any 1D Mk 2 N user advice as to how I can set fill-in flash or "forced flash" with a EX580 flash?

Your expert advice will be greatly appreciated.

The four main Canon EOS “creative” zone modes (P, Tv, Av and M) each handle flash metering in very different ways mind you. Canon EOS cameras always default to fill flash mode when the camera is in Tv, Av and M modes. They also perform fill flash in P mode if ambient light levels are high enough. There’s no separate switch or pushbutton to engage fill flash.

+evenstar said:
Just mount the flash on the camera, switch it on and shoot lor

As simple as this is, it is correct. The flash fires under any camera mode unless you disable the flash firing via custom functions on the flash unit. I favour Av mode for fill flash though, but it should work on the other modes as well.

Thanks for your advice just the same. Your effort and humor noted.

+evenstar said:
Just mount the flash on the camera, switch it on and shoot lor

n0d3 said:
The four main Canon EOS “creative” zone modes (P, Tv, Av and M) each handle flash metering in very different ways mind you. Canon EOS cameras always default to fill flash mode when the camera is in Tv, Av and M modes. They also perform fill flash in P mode if ambient light levels are high enough. There’s no separate switch or pushbutton to engage fill flash.

Thanks for the advice. I will try out all the creative mode just to be more comfortable.

In P mode, especially with a fast lens, the flash does not fire when ambient light level is high enough, particularly with a bright background, thus having subject under-exposed, a typical backlight situation. Is this common with 1D Mk 2 N? Or is there some setting problem?

Stoned said:
As simple as this is, it is correct. The flash fires under any camera mode unless you disable the flash firing via custom functions on the flash unit. I favour Av mode for fill flash though, but it should work on the other modes as well.

Thanks for the advice and tips on Av mode. Will try out in all creative modes as well.

It's better to off or remove the 'P' mode in your 1D mk2n by using firewire link control by PC...since it is useless in high end cam.

CanTahan said:
Can any 1D Mk 2 N user advice as to how I can set fill-in flash or "forced flash" with a EX580 flash?

Your expert advice will be greatly appreciated.

The best mode for fill are actually the Tv or Av mode. Cuz in these two mode, the camera still meters for ambient exposure. what you can do is switch to manual mode for flash and play with the output... for outdoor, anywhere from 1/2 to 1/32 stops of fill flash are all possible combination for your usage. 1/64 tends to be a little too weak for out door unless it's heavily overcast.

Well, i can only tell you soo much, gotta try them our yourself ;)

John Tan said:
It's better to off or remove the 'P' mode in your 1D mk2n by using firewire link control by PC...since it is useless in high end cam.

Hi John. Could you elaborate?

ZeusS said:
The best mode for fill are actually the Tv or Av mode. Cuz in these two mode, the camera still meters for ambient exposure. what you can do is switch to manual mode for flash and play with the output... for outdoor, anywhere from 1/2 to 1/32 stops of fill flash are all possible combination for your usage. 1/64 tends to be a little too weak for out door unless it's heavily overcast.

Thanks ZeusS. Will try it out.

Belle&Sebastain said:
Read the manual, under Personal Customs, you are able to remove any modes you want.

Thanks Belle&Sebastain, for the reference.

John Tan said:

what nonsense is this comment?!

John Tan said:

what????.......:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

the creative modes of canon sets flash exposure very differently..
best to use M mode

ZeusS said:

Yes. I'd put camera body to M with flash in ETTL2 first and take a test shot. Switch to manual flash if I want a different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.