1D Mark III maters come in please

TonyT

Jun 13, 2009
If you have owned a 1D Mark III for long enough that you are confident to say that you know how it works now, please help!!!

I just got my 1D Mark III. I have tried to read through the manual more than once. What I found out is now I know where the menu items are but I still don't understand many of them. Meaning, how would they affect my shooting if I set them to different parameters.

I am planning a half day shooting in March. If you are willing to help, then please contact me on 92772858. We can pick up a location for shooting and I will provide the following:

-Transaportation (door to door)
-Drinks (non Alcohols pls) :p
-Lunch (not luxury restaurents but tasty with aircon)

Thanks alot in advance!
Tony

If you have owned a 1D Mark III for long enough that you are confident to say that you know how it works now, please help!!!

I just got my 1D Mark III. I have tried to read through the manual more than once. What I found out is now I know where the menu items are but I still don't understand many of them. Meaning, how would they affect my shooting if I set them to different parameters.

I am planning a half day shooting in March. If you are willing to help, then please contact me on 92772858. We can pick up a location for shooting and I will provide the following:

-Transaportation (door to door)
-Drinks (non Alcohols pls) :p
-Lunch (not luxury restaurents but tasty with aircon)

Thanks alot in advance!
Tony

Maybe you try to organise a small gathering for 1D3/1D4 user for small discussion session and shootout. This would be interesting outing. Cheers!!!;)

I am also a Mark 3 owner and would like to learn more - Other than 1st to 5th march I am fine with any date.

Maybe you try to organise a small gathering for 1D3/1D4 user for small discussion session and shootout. This would be interesting outing. Cheers!!!;)

Good idea! Thanks!

I will start compiling a list.

1 D Mark III user outing
Date: 13th of March 2010

Master: (transportation, food and drinks provided)

Students:
Tony
Tarun

don't read the manual. just shoot. once you have shot with it quite abit then if you still dont understand something go back to the manual. if you have moved up from a 40D, 50D then it shouldnt be hard to work out. everything except the AF system should be quite simple.

Tony,

I would suggest searching for technical papers on the areas you need help with.

When I moved to a 1 series camera, I knew that one of the most challenging areas would be understanding and customizing/optimizing the AF system, and I found the technical papers I found online, as well as reading in-depth discussions between technically sound and relevant photographers who max out their AF systems (birders) to be very helpful.

I also paid very close attention to the custom functions.

The Mk3 menu and function clusters are actually far simpler than its predecessors.

What areas are you having problems with, specifically?

don't read the manual. just shoot. once you have shot with it quite abit then if you still dont understand something go back to the manual. if you have moved up from a 40D, 50D then it shouldnt be hard to work out. everything except the AF system should be quite simple.

That's right. It's the AF customization that puzzles me the most.

Tony,

I would suggest searching for technical papers on the areas you need help with.

When I moved to a 1 series camera, I knew that one of the most challenging areas would be understanding and customizing/optimizing the AF system, and I found the technical papers I found online, as well as reading in-depth discussions between technically sound and relevant photographers who max out their AF systems (birders) to be very helpful.

I also paid very close attention to the custom functions.

The Mk3 menu and function clusters are actually far simpler than its predecessors.

What areas are you having problems with, specifically?

Thanks for your suggestion! I am doing my reseach daily. But in the field, experience comes first. Let's say I would like to do both self learning and getting tips from experienced users.

It's the AF system customization that I have my most questions. I like sports and animals. How could I set up my AF system to get the result I want. Any recommend setups?

1 D Mark III user outing
Date: 13th of March 2010

Master: (transportation, food and drinks provided)

Students:
Tony
Tarun
yrh0413

With no offense to geeteetree, :) the first thing you want to do is get a firm grasp of how the EOS AF system on the 1 architecture thinks and works.

That's where the research becomes crucial.

It was also in research that I found THE most useful and valuable information.

Fiddling around in the field without knowing exactly how the AF system was programed, thinks, behaves and responds is tikam-tikaming at best because you won't know exactly what was happening, under what conditions, and what settings and Cfns were responsible for that perfect shot. In other words, you would likely not be able to repeat getting that perfect shot consistently or stumble when conditions change, or a setting that previously worked for you stops working so great.

I don't have the papers with me right now (think a friend still has it) but you could search for it yourself first. One was by Chuck Westfall, the Canon USA technical manager, and the other was a technical guide to getting the most out of 1 series cameras. The other references I looked up were discussions among birders who were having AF accuracy issues on their Mk3s.

However, bear in mind that the AF issues on the Mk3 was never fully resolved (last I knew), so if your camera is affected, even if you know everything there is to know about the Mk3 AF, it can be a hit-and-miss affair.

ahaha. yeah ok maybe you do need to read the manual :S . but the best thing i did to learn how the camera worked was practise.

ahaha. yeah ok maybe you do need to read the manual :S . but the best thing i did to learn how the camera worked was practise.

Yep, taht's waht I am trying to do here. Practice with other fellow users and probably one of the experienced ones. ;)

With no offense to geeteetree, :) the first thing you want to do is get a firm grasp of how the EOS AF system on the 1 architecture thinks and works.

That's where the research becomes crucial.

It was also in research that I found THE most useful and valuable information.

Fiddling around in the field without knowing exactly how the AF system was programed, thinks, behaves and responds is tikam-tikaming at best because you won't know exactly what was happening, under what conditions, and what settings and Cfns were responsible for that perfect shot. In other words, you would likely not be able to repeat getting that perfect shot consistently or stumble when conditions change, or a setting that previously worked for you stops working so great.

I don't have the papers with me right now (think a friend still has it) but you could search for it yourself first. One was by Chuck Westfall, the Canon USA technical manager, and the other was a technical guide to getting the most out of 1 series cameras. The other references I looked up were discussions among birders who were having AF accuracy issues on their Mk3s.

However, bear in mind that the AF issues on the Mk3 was never fully resolved (last I knew), so if your camera is affected, even if you know everything there is to know about the Mk3 AF, it can be a hit-and-miss affair.

Thank you Dream Merchant! I will download the artical from Chuck Westfall today. ;)