1D for fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Has anyone used 1D for fireworks? I know 1D is not great for long time exposure. but even exposed at 1~4 seconds, the noise-level is not acceptable, actually very bad. D60/10D is much more superior in this aspect. :dunno:

tomshen said:
Has anyone used 1D for fireworks? I know 1D is not great for long time exposure. but even exposed at 1~4 seconds, the noise-level is not acceptable, actually very bad. D60/10D is much more superior in this aspect. :dunno:
Maybe you shld try using the MKII?

:devil:

Tom, that's surely one of the (not economical) solution :)

Maybe it's a CCD/CMOS thing? Just guessing here. 1D doesn't have dark frame subtraction option?

Tom, I feel your pain. I really do.

Tell you what, since we're such good friends, I'll exchange my 10D for your lousy 1D. Really. No need to top up. It's REALLY great at ISO1600, and even goes to ISO3200.

Let me know, yah? Limited time offer only.

ST1100 said:
Maybe it's a CCD/CMOS thing? Just guessing here. 1D doesn't have dark frame subtraction option?

1D does have dark frame subtraction, similar to D30...on the other hand, it is D60/10D that does not have dark frame subtraction.

Theortically, dark frame subtraction should be the best method for noise removal, but the down side is if you take 5s exposure, it will need another 5s to record a dark frame.

On the other hand, D60/10D uses software to remove the noise, so it is done almost instantly, IMO, the algo has done a very good job

tomshen said:

And here are mine...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=88012

Yes, even at ISO200, 1D does gives a lot of noise for long exposure, however, i dun mind the noise, i feel that capturing the right moment is more important :sweat:

I even turn off the noise reduction to disable dark frame subtraction, so that I can take more frames within that 8 minutes. Thanks to the large buffer on 1D, i have never run into buffer full problem. On the other hand, my pal next to me was complaining that his D60 buffer full half way :D and his 1.6x FLM not wide enough to cover everything

wai your images are pretty noisy, try to get the exposure right, if not you will get noise and banding in the shadow area when you lift it up in levels. If you shot in RAW, try to increase the contrast a bit, and drop the EV if possible.

No, the 1D isn't very good for fireworks, as already pointed out a 10D or D60 will have lower long exposure noise. Furthermore, a 10D or D60 will also have increased resolution over the 1D. In fact, the 10D or D60 represents a far better camera for most amateurs as the real strength of the 1D lies in capturing sport and other fast paced action, and otherwise it is a very ordinary camera. Unfortunately plenty of CSers seem to lust after one for some unknown reason.

Wai said:
On the other hand, my pal next to me was complaining that his D60 buffer full half way :D and his 1.6x FLM not wide enough to cover everything

:complain: :complain: :mad2: :mad2:

Jed said:
No, the 1D isn't very good for fireworks, as already pointed out a 10D or D60 will have lower long exposure noise. Furthermore, a 10D or D60 will also have increased resolution over the 1D. In fact, the 10D or D60 represents a far better camera for most amateurs as the real strength of the 1D lies in capturing sport and other fast paced action, and otherwise it is a very ordinary camera. Unfortunately plenty of CSers seem to lust after one for some unknown reason.

Actually, Fred Miranda has written an article about this before. For those interested : 1D vs D60

More or less reaches the same conclusion?

tomshen said:

when i had the D30 last time, i shot fireworks with its dark frame substraction mode turned on, in RAW. obviously not the most ideal solution, as the shot to shot times were pretty long due to the dark frame substraction, and i could not get off as many shots as i wanted, but images come out fairly acceptable. you may want to try that next time...

now with the 10D it is much better, and i got quite a number of keepers this year (from inside the stadium too! :cool: ). however, there were times when i needed to wait for the 9 frames buffer to clear. And compared to using a film camera + slide film last year, i had some blown shots. Surprisingly, when i used a film body, i had 36 out of 36 fireworks shot for every roll. No kidding! so maybe a more responsive camera helps....

conclusion: tomshen - the 1d mkII is already available RIGHT NOW :devil:

hah, didn't follow this thead. So many replies, thanks :)

Guess I have to swallow it. :(

Belle&Sebastain said:
you could sell off too?
Don't get me wrongly. I am actually extremely satisfied with 1D, just like how I loved my D60 last time. Camera is only a tool, and I wish to maximize its value. 1D is every bit made for me, coz I shoot moving subjects (not necessarily sports etc) all the time. MK2 is out of my budget :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.