18-55mm kit lens softness? or is it just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilario

Dec 2, 2007
Took these shot some time ago with the kit lens. The rest of the pictures have similar softness too.

1/4 sec, f27, iso 100, 24mm, no flash, center weighted metering, AF-S mode. Mounted on tripod.

IMGP2438.jpg

a crop:
crop.jpg

Am I using too high an aperture value, is it an issue with the lens, or any sort of problem? :dunno:
Thanks!

The aperture at f27 is most probably the cause.

Too small aperture, diffraction of light becomes an issue.

Try taking a shot at f8.

cheers

I believe if you shoot @ F11 or f8 should be alright. :)

Thanks... so i see that the most extreme apertures of a lens is always the worse part? Never thought of f27 cuz i always thought only the wide end is bad.. cuz got tripod and want everything sharp so kiasu lor :D;p

the sweet spot of most lens are two to three stop down.

with wide angle, f11 can cover a lot depth of field, don't need to shoot above f22, you get diffraction more then depth of field.

f/8 to f/11 is the best for the kit lens from my experience

above f/16 you start getting diffraction problems, will degrade picture quality

which is why most of the time most professional landscape photographers will limit their apertures to at around f/13 to f/19.. you slowly trade off depth of field for sharpness

for kit lens, pentax's version is one of the best out there, believe me; i've seen other brands and for the price, it doesn't come any better than this. even most tests agree.

shooting wide-open will give you softness too, btw

i see... thanks for being so informative! Next time i'll be sure to shoot between f8~f16. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.