18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shen siung

May 21, 2008
Hi everyone,

I’m rather new to DSLR… I have tried my best to read and learn, but I still come out with a question which I hope all senior bro and sis could help me out.

I am looking for lenses suitable for a Canon 450D. Of course the suitable starter will be the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lenses, or the 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS.

Yet, something draws my attention: if I want to get a longer zoom range, I could probably choose the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + 55-250mm f/4-5.6, instead of choosing the 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS.

The combination is actually cheaper (from the price list I got from CS). And the aperture value is actually comparable (from my understanding)
But, is it mean that 18-200 is only one piece (don’t need to change) compare to 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (2 pieces), thus more expensive?

Or, the one piece 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS is actually better in terms of IQ, and other features compare to the 2 pieces combination?

Thanks

p/s: roughly price get from CS
450D kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ~$1130 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 ~ $360 = $1490
450D kit 18-200mm f/3.5–5.6 IS ~ $1760

i think alot of Csers will recommend the combo of 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6...

hi
18-200mm convenient, don't have to change lens but more expensive.
18-55mm and 55-250mm, need to change lens but less expensive and better image quality.
so i guess u are paying more for the convenience, for general photography 18-200 is ok only unless u really pixel peep :D

I am using a 18-200mm and it is my recommendation too...

The "Cons" of using the 18-55mm is that the front element would rotate when focusing.. hence not ideal for CPL filters....:(

Also how often do you think you would change lens during a outdoor shoot... :dunno:

i think alot of Csers will recommend the combo of 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + 55-250mm f/4-5.6...

hi
18-200mm convenient, don't have to change lens but more expensive.
18-55mm and 55-250mm, need to change lens but less expensive and better image quality.
so i guess u are paying more for the convenience, for general photography 18-200 is ok only unless u really pixel peep :D

Opss, I just realized this has been mentioned (just mentioned, not emphasized) in Dpreview...
"Canon users will perhaps most wish to know whether the 18-200mm is a good replacement for the EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS kit lens combination. The primary advantage of the superzoom is simply that it eliminates the need to change lenses; it's also somewhat better built, and has a non-rotating front element which is an advantage for filter users. But the two-lens solution gives longer reach, and (although we've not yet formally tested the 55-250mm) we'd expect it to give nothing up in terms of optical quality; the overall weight is near-identical too. So overall, the answer isn't necessarily clear-cut."

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16/page4.asp

My mistake :sweat:
Hmm, yet the slightly cheap for the combination still attracts me.

I am using a 18-200mm and it is my recommendation too...

The "Cons" of using the 18-55mm is that the front element would rotate when focusing.. hence not ideal for CPL filters....:(

Also how often do you think you would change lens during a outdoor shoot... :dunno:

The same thing has been reviewed in Dpreview "The filter thread is 58mm and rotates on focusing, which can be a pain for filter users."...

But I don't understand, as I never used any lens...Is it means we cannot attached any filter on 18-55mm? Including UV filter?

Last edited:
The two lens solution gives you greater reach and a cheaper price. The one lens solution gives you convenience. IQ wise we would expect the one with a larger zoom ratio to suffer more, and perhaps the two lens might have a wee bit of advantage. But again IQ is often not the top most priority and strong suit of such variable aperture hyperzooms.

If you do not mind swapping lenses then the 2 lens combo works and prices great.

Ryan

Better IQ and cheaper at the cost of convenience. If switching lenses is a major inconvenience, then you have eliminated a big advantage of DSLRs. I don't like superzooms and would never recommend one, and most would recommend that you get the 18-55 + 55-250 anyway.

The same thing has been reviewed in Dpreview "The filter thread is 58mm and rotates on focusing, which can be a pain for filter users."...

But I don't understand, as I never used any lens...Is it means we cannot attached any filter on 18-55mm? Including UV filter?

It affect mostly GND & CPL filters... UV filter is not affected... :)

Better IQ and cheaper at the cost of convenience. If switching lenses is a major inconvenience, then you have eliminated a big advantage of DSLRs. I don't like superzooms and would never recommend one, and most would recommend that you get the 18-55 + 55-250 anyway.

Have you tried covering an event/stage shoot (limited by your standing space), whereby you need to take tight portrait shots as well as group shots? During these situation you have no time/chance to change your lens.

During these situation, I think you have four choices:

1. Use a 18-200mm zoom to cover the whole event
  2. Get a second camera body and mount your other lens to it
  3. Shot wide for portrait shots & crop later when PP (you lose even more IQ)
  4. Miss either the wide angle or portrait shots (may not be acceptable if it is a paid event shooting)

If you have other methods please let me know... :)

Hi I'm a newbie too and jus bought the 1000D ( wanted to take the 450 but finds it abit bulky and softer pics ). I've been using the kit lens 18-55mm IS with great satisfaction even though I know it is not giving the best of IQ. I've also bought the less favoured 70-300mm USM lll zoom and that has also given some fine shots though it's not very sharp and very prone to handshake due to the long zoom ( but only cost me $59! ). I added a 50mm 1.8Mkll yesterday and have used it for walkabt at the Riverhongbao and it's been fantastic though i still have problem handling the sensitivity of the lens. I think this combination has served all my needs at the moment until I gained enough experience then will try the higher end lenses. Next will be an external flash and maybe Raynox???

Hi I'm a newbie too and jus bought the 1000D ( wanted to take the 450 but finds it abit bulky and softer pics ).

Actually this is the first time I hear that the 450D is bulky.... most people find it too small... :bsmilie:

For the "softer pics", both the 1000D & 450D uses the same AA filter... hence both are softer if you compared to the Nikon's offering. Hence I am not too sure why you say the 450D is softer than the 1000D? :dunno:

I just upgraded from S3i to DSLR and I'm comparing the 450 to 1000D hence the word BULKY. I consider the 450 pics softer based on pics/comparisons/test results from several sites before i arrive at the conclusion that 450D pics are soft. That was in direct comparison to 400D/1000D and solely based on my research online without practical tests. In fact one site even advised that the default sharpness setting on the 450D be increased for better effect. No offence meant for 450D users.

The 18-55IS + 55-250IS is just a better overall package in terms of image quality. I was impressed with the image quality coming from such a budget telephoto lens. The 18-55IS also has similar performance characteristics and would make this 2 lens selection the ultimate travel combination for the beginner.

Nice you are new to DSLR. some consideration that you want to take as i lost a couple of bucks before. First get the kit lens 18-55MM IS, try out shooting. See you are really keen to take photographs then get the telephoto. I think get 1 lens first then decide on a second one.
18-200 will serve as a general purpose lens for you. If you are using for traveling.

The two lens solution gives you greater reach and a cheaper price. The one lens solution gives you convenience.

If you do not mind swapping lenses then the 2 lens combo works and prices great.

Ryan

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
Hmm, usually, is it need more then 10 min to change a lens?
Again, I never handle any DSLR... :sweat:

But I surely understand for certain scene even late by a second we will lose the perfect timing...

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
Hmm, usually, is it need more then 10 min to change a lens?
Again, I never handle any DSLR... :sweat:

Depending on the lens... normally it take less than 30 secs to change a lens. But depending on your location, you may not have the "space" to change your lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.