18-55mm Auto Focus spoilt

Van Faniel

Nov 25, 2007
Hey guys... my 18-55mm Auto Focus mechanism has malfunctioned... the stupid lens can't auto-focus now... don't know why but the lens can't spin to AF...

So... what are my best choices now? Buy a new lens? Or try to get it fixed?

it not worth to repair it ... i suggest u get a new lens or maybe it time to upgrade to a better lens haha

Warranty is long over... how much does it costs to get it fixed? Cuz i don't really have budget to buy a new lens... =(

No point fixing it. Just buy the 18-55 IS used in BnS section here. Should cost around 100-150. Repair cost will be higher for sure.

This is a common problem with the lens.
Many cases.
Repair is $70-100

my lens also got the same preblem. i think it is common fault for this particular lens. i got it repaired at csc @ 71 s$, as i dont hv any plan to upgrade now i send to repair.

It is likely that the focus distance flex is broken. Mine has failed because of that and I've taken the lens apart to confirm the cause. I've ordered 5 pieces of flex from eBay (they only sell by pack of 5, so...), and if TS is interested in fixing his I may give it a try after fixing mine first. The catch is the point of rupture is plainly visible under 5 screws (2 for contact plate, 3 for mount), but the whole lens has to be taken apart, save the inner-most assembly for IS and aperture, before the flex is fully accessible. It's double-sided-taped to the inner barrels and the middle section folds and unfolds as the lens is zoomed. Another cable concerning the IS and aperture is of a similar design but slightly better protected against a hard fold.

Image0083_s.jpg

Last edited:
my brother lens was spoiled as well, he just used it as reverse macro lens...

my brother lens was spoiled as well, he just used it as reverse macro lens...

SAME! I totally used my 18-55mm as a reverse macro lens.
After all, no point fixing.
Time to upgrade! (Y)

Thanks for the input guys... maybe it's time to save up for a 15-85...

Btw... what's a reverse macro lens??

Thanks for the input guys... maybe it's time to save up for a 15-85...

Btw... what's a reverse macro lens??

You can get a "reverse ring"(if you want). If not you have to use your left index and middle finger to support the lens in the reverse direction. Meaning you will remove your lens, andturn it the other way around so that the lens front is facing the camera body and the lens back facing your subject for macro/close-ups. Support the lens with your fingers and focus by moving nearer/further to and from your subject (about roughly 2cm away). This way you can go A LOT CLOSER to your subject as compared to the normal 0.25m/0.8ft macro distance. Try it with any coin!