18-55 vs 55-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

aey2jey

Deregistered
Jun 7, 2009
hi guys,

i currently have a canon 50mm f1.8II and a standard kit lens 18-55mm.
im thinking of selling my 18-55 and get a EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM

the reason for doing so is that i think my 50mm can cover the shorter range as i can do a manual zoom. plus the bokeh of a 50mm is much better than 18-55.
furthermore, i always feel that i cant zoom in enough on things with my 18-55 and thus my idea of getting 55-200 instead.

im trying to keep my budget low so thats why im not considering better lens.

please give me some feedback!
thank you very much

I would recommend getting the 55-250 first before selling off your kit... see if you can live without the 18-55.

Otherwise, do consider getting a super zoom like the 18-200 cuz it seems that you're looking for versatility here and that should do you good though it costs a bit.

2 cents on your idea of keeping just 50mm, bokeh is one thing, needing to shoot at a smaller aperture is another... don't forget.

Don't forget, 50mm on crop might be too tight for some purposes. Say group shots in a small area.

hi guys,

i currently have a canon 50mm f1.8II and a standard kit lens 18-55mm.
im thinking of selling my 18-55 and get a EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM

the reason for doing so is that i think my 50mm can cover the shorter range as i can do a manual zoom. plus the bokeh of a 50mm is much better than 18-55.
furthermore, i always feel that i cant zoom in enough on things with my 18-55 and thus my idea of getting 55-200 instead.

im trying to keep my budget low so thats why im not considering better lens.

please give me some feedback!
thank you very much

1. How wide do u normally shoot?
2. Aft selling 18-55, ur range is from 50mm-250mm. Can u live wth dat?

High chance u may spend on wide lens in future. Keeping it is definitely a better choice.
:)

I can never live without my 18-55 range. It may be just personal preference but I need my wide angle!

hmm cause normally what i feel lacking is the ability to zoom in on stuff. like people and animals. with the 18-55, i need to walk pretty near to capture the image and emotion what i wanna capture. and because of that, most of the time i would lose the "moment". that is why im considering a 55-200, which would be better in terms of zooming in.

and im thinking my 50mm would be able to cover up for what i would lose if i were to sell my 18-55 even though it cant cover the wide angle part.

thanks for your feedbacks!
still new here so very willing to learn more:)

Then you should consider getting the good 'ol alternative EF 28-135mm IS USM which should give you the range you want with more on the tele end but not too much for the wide end as opposed to 55-250.

and im thinking my 50mm would be able to cover up for what i would lose if i were to sell my 18-55 even though it cant cover the wide angle part.

Eh... that's a whole lot to lose. An entire-day-to-day-focal-range that everyone uses daily.

Hi, I'm on Nikon system but using 55-200 as well as a 50mm f1.8.

As for the range, while the 55-200 is good enough for me during day shots outdoors but just to highlight my problems faced while using the lens if trying to take shots for example at botanic gardens taking a person with background(plants/building), have to stand far away(the bigger the object the further the distance) hence chances of pplp crossing yr line of sight.

I use the 50mm f1.8 for indoors for example at the underwater world but as the space is constrain not helping with lots of pplp, manual zooming with the legs is abit of a problem.

thats y considering getting a tamron 17-50 f2.8 to addon to my collection.

Maybe TS should check their past photos and see what focal lengths they were using and the percentage of shots <50 mm... it would give them an idea of what they would be missing.

If you don't find yourself using the wide end of your 18-55mm, then go ahead and sell it. No issues there.

after reading your comments, i think i will keep my 18-55 for now! thanks alot guys! appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.