18-55 and 35 VS 17-50

Which setup will you prefer and why(give your own reason)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

gimumancer

Sep 15, 2009
setup 1:
Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR II
Nikkor 35mm f1.8

setup 2:
Tamron 17-50 non VC f2.8

They are about roughly the same price, if you are to choose 1 setup ONLY from the two, which would you choose and why

I'll just choose the prime, but I'll get f2 instead of f1.8.

Hint, bokeh, bokeh, bokeh, bokeh, bokeh, bokeh, bokeh, bokeh and lots of bokeh.

Really depends on what you shoot and where you going

From what you have given us for selection .. then I pick just the 18-55 only

Even though the difference is slightly less then 1 stop and Bokeh being better at 2.8 for the Tamron.

The 18-55 can be purchase very cheaply from the CS BS and it one hack of a kit lens..

Since you did not mention which cam this lens is to be use with, I would assume that you know that newer Nikon Cam is good with high ISO. So that eliminate the problem with faster shutter speed in low lightings

Not sure if you wanted the 35mm F1.8 for lowlighting or for it bokeh ? But all I can say it if you want to shoot portrait with bokeh.. IMHO you should be looking at the 85 f1.4 or F1.8

Just my 2 cents worth.. hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited:
setup 1:
Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR II
Nikkor 35mm f1.8

setup 2:
Tamron 17-50 non VC f2.8

They are about roughly the same price, if you are to choose 1 setup ONLY from the two, which would you choose and why

I know people who keep their 35mm f1.8 at home most of the time...So, i'll go for setup 2.
...if can, then buy Nikkor 35mm f1.8 in the future to compliment...;p

Setup 2 for me. :)

reasons

1. f2.8 from 17 to 50mm and
2. I can always shoot at 35mm f2.8

Last edited:
17-50/2.8 if i wanted a good lens for all the focal lengths it covers plus convenience.

option#1 : if I wanted to start getting primes.

Well, i already have the 18-55 and the 35 f1.8 :) , now looking to get the 17-50, so its 17-50 for me too ;)

depends what you are shooting...if events, might want to consider the similar price Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and later a Tokina 11-18 f2.8 to cover ultra wide angle.

Tamron 17-50 non VC f2.8 for me.

Reason: After using my 18 - 55 plus external flash for 4 months plus and going for a 6 day japan tour. I felt comfortable with the range and effects but if I have the spare cash would be looking for better IQ and bokeh which I guess the tarmon will give me.

Really depends on what you shoot and where you going

From what you have given us for selection .. then I pick just the 18-55 only

Even though the difference is slightly less then 1 stop and Bokeh being better at 2.8 for the Tamron.

The 18-55 can be purchase very cheaply from the CS BS and it one hack of a kit lens..

Since you did not mention which cam this lens is to be use with, I would assume that you know that newer Nikon Cam is good with high ISO. So that eliminate the problem with faster shutter speed in low lightings

Not sure if you wanted the 35mm F1.8 for lowlighting or for it bokeh ? But all I can say it if you want to shoot portrait with bokeh.. IMHO you should be looking at the 85 f1.4 or F1.8

Just my 2 cents worth.. hope this helps

Cheers

ya the 35mm bokeh cannot beat the creamy bokeh of 85 f1.4.