18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
Is this lens any good in real world performance for example when taking group photos or landscape? I'm stuck between this lense and tamron's 2.8,from from what i read in magazines,the tamron has a pretty nasty barrel distortion at 17mm on a 1.6 body cam.So someone kindly advice,cheers!

using the sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 macro version so quite some time, very happy with this lens. especially the macro gives you minimum focusing distance at only 0.2m. go for this lens, you won't regret!

Is this lens any good in real world performance for example when taking group photos or landscape? I'm stuck between this lense and tamron's 2.8,from from what i read in magazines,the tamron has a pretty nasty barrel distortion at 17mm on a 1.6 body cam.So someone kindly advice,cheers!

I am using this lens for about 3 months. So far working very well and is now always mounted in my E300 as it can be use for most of the purposes. Macro performance is acceptable, the only problem is only up to 50mm. I rate it 9.5/10.

Did anyone suffer from paint peeling off the lens? I heard it's quite common on Sigma EX lens.

Did anyone suffer from paint peeling off the lens? I heard it's quite common on Sigma EX lens.
hmmm? did not use Weathershield? lousy paint? betulkah?

it is a kind of sandpaper-like coating. if you scratch it with some hard objects, it will peel off. however, it is more likely on bigger sigma lenses like the 70-200, cos the chances of something scratching it becomes higher. my 18-50 now only has 2 scratches, small ones, so i say it's not that bad it you dun handle it harshly.

I love this lens. Bought it a while ago, found it much sharper than a canon 17-40, but no one believed me. Till this day, the only lens I've seen that surpasses it would be the canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, but ymmv. My fav lens, esp when I go overseas.

Landscape:
krabi66.jpg

IMG_0046_1.jpg

ok-IMG_3231.jpg

People:
IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

Forgot to mention, i do ALOT of portraiture with this lens too.

You can check out my gallery for more shots..

Sure some of the EX coating drops/peals off. Hardly an issue for me. The lens didn't become any less sharp/contrasty because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.