18-50 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximize

Jun 14, 2008
Hi, hope that probably can get some advice on this one...

i wanna shoot for a few objectives in general so wanna ask which lens is more suitable...

1) portraits
2) indoor events like dinner party

which will be the best pick? btw.. the dinner party is those normal ballroom type...

thks..

is there such a lens 18-50 f2.8? May i know which brand?
Do you mean Tamron 17-50 f2.8?

You do know that the 24-70 (Nikkor) is about 4 times the price of the Tamron 17-50, right? ;)
Anyway it depends on what camera body you have, and your budget.
17-50 on a DX body would give you approximately the same field of view as a 24-70 on a FX body, give or take a couple of mm.

TS, you need to supply a bit more information. For the Canon series, 24-70 is a L series lens...

Also need to look at the range you're comfortable with. Do you want to capture 'special' moments impromptu or do you want to capture shots where the person poses for you? If its the former, you probably want a bit more range.

is there such a lens 18-50 f2.8? May i know which brand?
Do you mean Tamron 17-50 f2.8?

You do know that the 24-70 (Nikkor) is about 4 times the price of the Tamron 17-50, right? ;)
Anyway it depends on what camera body you have, and your budget.
17-50 on a DX body would give you approximately the same field of view as a 24-70 on a FX body, give or take a couple of mm.

Yea there is a 18-50 from Sigma.
To TS, I think you should also browse a particular thread in the tamron/sigma/tokina forums consisting of the comparison between the Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 18-50.

pai sey.. both are sigma... using on my alpha 200 body...

Last edited:
then it really boils down to how wide you really need, like for group shots and how much space you're given to work with..

pai sey.. both are sigma... using on my alpha 200 body...

haiyah... then say so earlier la! ;)
make me waste my energy typing, y'know??

Your A200 has a crop factor of about 1.5 I think (APS-C size).
So basically a 24mm lens gives you a Field of View (FOV) that a 35mm lens would on a film SLR or FX DSLR.
As J-Chan mentioned, it MIGHT give you problems when taking group photos.
I'd go with the 18-50, which gives you the most useable range.

Hi, hope that probably can get some advice on this one...

i wanna shoot for a few objectives in general so wanna ask which lens is more suitable...

1) portraits
2) indoor events like dinner party

which will be the best pick? btw.. the dinner party is those normal ballroom type...

thks..

Hi bro,

I would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead. I have heard a lot of good things about this lens. I have the older version of the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens. It's not very wide so it may not be very usable for group pictures but if you want to stay further from your subject it's quite ok.

If you do not need the constant f2.8, the Minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4.0 is a very good lens to use. 95% of the time I covered weddings are using this lens.

Hi bro,

I would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 instead. I have heard a lot of good things about this lens. I have the older version of the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens. It's not very wide so it may not be very usable for group pictures but if you want to stay further from your subject it's quite ok.

If you do not need the constant f2.8, the Minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4.0 is a very good lens to use. 95% of the time I covered weddings are using this lens.

care to share why tamron? actually to me they dun make much of a differences... tamron is juz as good as i read the reviews...

the reason for f2.8 cos i wish to take some burst shots.. so i believe it will help me to increase my shutter speed at least by 2 stops...

Last edited:
care to share why tamron? actually to me they dun make much of a differences... tamron is juz as good as i read the reviews...

the reason for f2.8 cos i wish to take some burst shots.. so i believe it will help me to increase my shutter speed at least by 2 stops...

A lot of people had not very pleasant experience with Sigma, hence I would recommend the Tamron. My 24-70mm had some back focus problem (which I haven't got the time to get it fix) and a lot of people had paint peeling at the lens barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.