18-200vr + B+W UV+CPL MRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
Just gotten the B+W CPL MRC. Unfortunately, it shows darkening of the corners when taken at 18mm. The edges disappears when moved towards tele range. Question is, is this normal? What causes it for the lens to behave in that way? Without a CPL, the corners are perfectly fine. When i screwed the CPL, vigininting occurs.

I'm using 72mm UV filter with a step up ring for 77mm CPL filter.

:dunno:

Just gotten the B+W CPL MRC. Unfortunately, it shows darkening of the corners when taken at 18mm. The edges disappears when moved towards tele range. Question is, is this normal? What causes it for the lens to behave in that way? Without a CPL, the corners are perfectly fine. When i screwed the CPL, vigininting occurs.

do a search on vignette...

Try it without the UV filter coz UV+adapter+CPL will cause vignetting bcoz its protruding out too much.

Try Camera|Lens|UV|Step-upRing. Without CPL I think you will see vignetting on 18mm also.

That's normal. You can try Camera|Lens|Step-upRing|CPL and see whether vignetting at 18mm or not.

Regards,
Arto.

You need to get the B+W SLIM version, or get Nikon 77mm CPL II :)

You need to get the B+W SLIM version, or get Nikon 77mm CPL II :)
IMHO, if you are using step-up ring 72-->77 (or 77-->72?), slim version may not help as the vignetting is caused by step-up ring and UV filter.

I might be wrong...

Regards,
Arto.

I would say take off the UV and the step up ring, and use the 72mm CPL-slim version. (as someone already mentioned, adding UV+stepup ring+CPL-normal version protrude too much and will cause dark corners)

The reason for getting 77mm is for its potential uses with 77mm lens.

Having to take out UV and then screw in step up+ CPL is such a chore~ Looks like no choice. Gotta experience it. The vigneeting is caused by the nature of stacking filters? I bought the B+W thinking that it might be a good investment for current and future lens. So kinda disappointed by the vignetes

The reason for getting 77mm is for its potential uses with 77mm lens.

Having to take out UV and then screw in step up+ CPL is such a chore~ Looks like no choice. Gotta experience it. The vigneeting is caused by the nature of stacking filters? I bought the B+W thinking that it might be a good investment for current and future lens. So kinda disappointed by the vignetes
Yes, but not the only causer. Vignetting can occur when you use not-correct lens hood, also when the projection of the lens is not cover the sensor (like using DX/APS size specific lens to 35mm size sensor).

Regards,
Arto.

18-200 lens will have Vignetting at 18 mm...

actually it doesnt vignet when there is nothing infront or even with a UV. It starts to vignet when i mount the CPL. :cry:

Sensor wise, i'm using a D50.

Status
Not open for further replies.