18-200 vs 12-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

informer

Aug 5, 2005
Hey guys,

Well I last posted about getting an exciting lens to replace the kit one that I have (18-55).

I've been taking a hell of a lot of photos travelling to 4 countries in the past 6 months, I'm not a photographer I just travel a lot.

Anyway, I've heard a lot about the 18-200. It does seem to be a great upgrade from what I have right now, and would be more convenient than to have a 55-200. I hear that certain pictures can appear soft. For the price I am expecting it to be better than a 18-55/55-200 combined and the 18-70.

I guess cost isn't a big factor, its really the kind of pictures I take that is.

I find that I like to take a lot of landscape and mid-extreme closeup photos. I look at my collection and there seems to be a lot of landscape stuff. I love panorama images and have been doing a bit of that too.

So I hear about the 12-24 and it has me interested.

What would you advice as my next lens? Many thanks.

informer said:
Hey guys,

Well I last posted about getting an exciting lens to replace the kit one that I have (18-55).

I've been taking a hell of a lot of photos travelling to 4 countries in the past 6 months, I'm not a photographer I just travel a lot.

Anyway, I've heard a lot about the 18-200. It does seem to be a great upgrade from what I have right now, and would be more convenient than to have a 55-200. I hear that certain pictures can appear soft. For the price I am expecting it to be better than a 18-55/55-200 combined and the 18-70.

I guess cost isn't a big factor, its really the kind of pictures I take that is.

I find that I like to take a lot of landscape and mid-extreme closeup photos. I look at my collection and there seems to be a lot of landscape stuff. I love panorama images and have been doing a bit of that too.

since you already looked at your past shots... why not check out the exif data and find out what sorta range you are shooting at? if you tend to be shooting at the 18mm range.. then you should strongly consider a 12-24 or even a sigma 10-20... couple that with a lens like 24-120(vr or not) and you will have covered the 12-120 range...

i love my tokina 12-24 btw...

Well, from the sounds of it you take a lot of wide angle photos. That is assuming your closeup shots are not taken with a telephoto from afar but are taken from a very close distance. If that's a case you'll want a lens that goes very wide and is also a strong performer at those focal lengths. In which case the Tokina 12-24mm or Sigma 10-20mm would be good choices. I'd go for the latter if I were you.

The 18-200mm is an extreme zoom lens. It covers a great range, but you'll probably need to stop it down to some degree to get acceptable sharpness, which is what landscape work often calls for, unless you're after the impressionistic, painterly effect.

I'm assuming ur using a nikon system. If you are then you're looking at the Nikon 18-200 VR? That would be a more suitable lens for you as you never know when the range might come in handy. It's a very good piece of glass. If only you're sure that you wont be shooting beyond 24mm, then i'd suggest u go for ur Nikon 12-24.

The 18-200 VRII is really a very versatile and sharp lens for it's class and it's really suitable for those who travel alot. ;)

I heard that the 18-200 isn't great for taking fast moving subjects. Is that because of the VR? Can that be turned off? I like taking pictures of cars while they're moving :)

AF tend to slow down at the tele end (applies to all tele zooms).
get prime tele then. can't ask for best of both worlds.

VR cld be turned off..
its a good travel glass.. if u need the xtra wide u cld get sigma 10-20, tokina 12-24 or even better nikkor 12-24.
:thumbsup:

you should try 12-24 if you are going for landscape...(you nv know when you need the extra wideness)
18-200 will cover most of yr needs, even landscape. :)
no need to change lenses so much...

sell off the 18-55,
1) get the 12-24mm
2) get the 18-70mm
3) and get the 70-300 VR (To be released soon)
since the TS din mention wanting fast lenses, these lenses are good for him, covering all ranges from wide to tele.

ipin said:
sell off the 18-55,
1) get the 12-24mm
2) get the 18-70mm
3) and get the 70-300 VR (To be released soon)
since the TS din mention wanting fast lenses, these lenses are good for him, covering all ranges from wide to tele.

not get 17-35, 28-70 and 70-200 meh?

westwest1 said:
not get 17-35, 28-70 and 70-200 meh?
that is what i had in mind :devil: :sweatsm: , but the TS was asking abt lenses with variable apetures leh. :bsmilie:

informer said:
Hey guys,

12-24 just do it!

informer said:

I don't think the 18-200 will be sharper than the 18-55, 55-200 or the 18-70.

Anyway, 12-24 is a fantastic range. :thumbsup:

Tokina 12-24..:thumbsup: for landscape..Like the contrast..

18-200 versatile, especially u travel alot..u never noe when u need the extra zoom..although its a known fact abt its distortion..

Thanks guys, but is it normal to carry so many lenses?

I think 2 is my max.

I'm going to consider the 12-24, look for a second hand 18-70 and wait for the 18-200 to drop in prices. Reason being is because I've been reading about Canon cameras and lenses and they seem to be better than Nikon.

informer said:
Thanks guys, but is it normal to carry so many lenses?

I think 2 is my max.

I'm going to consider the 12-24, look for a second hand 18-70 and wait for the 18-200 to drop in prices. Reason being is because I've been reading about Canon cameras and lenses and they seem to be better than Nikon.

don think C is better than N nor N is better than C. each got their strong point. just like Canon 10-22 beat Nikon 12-24 while Nikon 18-200 owns Canon lens of that range.

18-200 VR's on my D50 all the time ... and I'm very satisfied with it. :D

Not used anything wider than 18mm so cannot make any comparisons here. ;p
Be trying out some wide angles if mullah permits :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.