18-200 or 17-85 USM? How often do you use the telephoto range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayearabroad

Nov 5, 2009
Hello guys

I'm getting a 50D with kit lens this weekend - initially i was quite set on getting the 18-200, but i'm getting swayed by some of my friends recommendations.

Basically I already have a 10-22 and 18-55 with my existing 400D, but I'm upgrading to a 50D, and I usually take landscape, architecture and I do like the occassional portraits/street photog. I was thinking the 18-200 would help me catch details on buildings etc that are too high up, etc. I'll be giving the 400D together with the 18-55 to someone, so i'll only be left with the 10-22, and have to get a new set.

I was just wondering how often do you guys use the telephoto side of your 18-200 and whether it'll make more sense for me to get the 17-85 because of the USM?

Thanks.

Whether others use the telephoto range or not makes no difference seeing as it will be you who will be using the lens :bsmilie:

That said, the 18-200mm is sufficiently sharp at 200mm. Not too sure about the 17-85mm

usually for a lens that ranges from 18-200, u get very good versatility at the expense of IQ.

do consider 24-70.

usually for a lens that ranges from 18-200, u get very good versatility at the expense of IQ.

do consider 24-70.

If you say that, you might as well suggest primes.
But getting back to topic. I also recently got a 50D with the original Canon grip with the Canon 18200 lens. it feels kinda off balance as compared to my previous 500D with grip.
But IQ wise, its good enough.
Do try out at the shop first before committing.;)

that's y I use primes mainly. but there will be times where u need zoom. if u ask me, I will nv go for 18-200.
If you say that, you might as well suggest primes.
But getting back to topic. I also recently got a 50D with the original Canon grip with the Canon 18200 lens. it feels kinda off balance as compared to my previous 500D with grip.
But IQ wise, its good enough.
Do try out at the shop first before committing.;)

thanks for the replies guys. the reason why i'm asking is cos i'm not too sure how much of the 200 end i'll be using, since i've never had a zoom lens before, but thanks :D

My vote goes for 18-200mm...
No doubt it is only a micro-motor, but the focusing is fast!

Upgrade from 18-55mm to 17-85mm has very little difference...

thanks for the replies guys. the reason why i'm asking is cos i'm not too sure how much of the 200 end i'll be using, since i've never had a zoom lens before, but thanks :D

Haa.. thats a tough question u posed at the start of this thread. U shd known better as u r the one using the lens. :bsmilie: Since u put it this way, that means u wun need it. IMO, it's nt worth spending on the 18-200 and use it since for its versatily (1 lens do it all), ur IQ/Speed is compromised. i will get 17-55 f2.8 USM if i will u, its a nice combination with ur 50D ;) and get 70-200 f 4 or f2.8 (be it IS or NON IS) at a later stage should it call for it

Last edited:
I got myself the 18-200 so that I can use it for travel. Also useful to explore the various ranges to see which is more to personal style of shooting before getting better lenses. So far, seems that 10-22 and 70-200 would be ideal for me. Hardly shot much in between.

I would skip both and get the 55-250 instead

I used the 17-85 before, nice range but IQ is much better on my 55-250
the 18-200, I don't like the pincushion effect at wide.

If you use more tele, the 55-250 will meet your needs and saves you money as well.

Had a 18-200, now using 17-85 IS USM. Getting 24-105L despite the 1.6 crop factor on my 40D. The reason is simple. "L" lenses is the answer to great IQ. If we want to shoot on the streets, then go for 17-40L. No matter what, get an L. Your pocket burns but you'll soon forget about the "pain" once you view your pics on the computer screen. As the saying goes, "The more colours you see on your lens, the better the IQ".

I will be facing the same problem soon too. Will be glad to hear some advise with 50D + 18 -200mm combo or any other types of lens.

Initially, i am looking for 500D after some try, feel 50D is better for my requirement.
The issue now is which type of lens to go along with a 50D.

Kit len 18-200mm or other recommendation.

Had a 18-200, now using 17-85 IS USM. Getting 24-105L despite the 1.6 crop factor on my 40D. The reason is simple. "L" lenses is the answer to great IQ. If we want to shoot on the streets, then go for 17-40L. No matter what, get an L. Your pocket burns but you'll soon forget about the "pain" once you view your pics on the computer screen. As the saying goes, "The more colours you see on your lens, the better the IQ".

Better IQ can be achieved with some non-Ls like the 17-55mm and the Tamron 17-50mm/28-75mm. These lenses are said to be even sharper on a crop than the 24-105mm.

Another user who think only L lens produce good IQ.
*Face palm*

You gonna miss out a lot of good IQ non-L lense, especially when you are on APS-C.

Hello guys

I'm getting a 50D with kit lens this weekend - initially i was quite set on getting the 18-200, but i'm getting swayed by some of my friends recommendations.

Basically I already have a 10-22 and 18-55 with my existing 400D, but I'm upgrading to a 50D, and I usually take landscape, architecture and I do like the occassional portraits/street photog. I was thinking the 18-200 would help me catch details on buildings etc that are too high up, etc. I'll be giving the 400D together with the 18-55 to someone, so i'll only be left with the 10-22, and have to get a new set.

I was just wondering how often do you guys use the telephoto side of your 18-200 and whether it'll make more sense for me to get the 17-85 because of the USM?

Thanks.

Hi, since you have the 10-22 already, getting a 18-200 will be good. Best of both world, wide and tele. I am sure you will be using it once you have it. You may be apprehensive now but through regular usage, you will learn to appreciate the flexibility of having this lens (general walk-about). But if you have budget constrainst, it's ok to opt for 17-85 instead. Just my 3 cents advice. :)

*Face palm*

You gonna miss out a lot of good IQ non-L lense, especially when you are on APS-C.

actually he is right to a certain extent. the 24-105 according to the iso charts on the digi pic, performs better than 15-85. but the way he puts it seems wrong. 17-55 is better than the 24-70L and 24-105L. =)

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

wow... then I guess Canon needs to relook into their L series? ef-s getting better than L series? pls use reference else it is going to start misleading TS.

if u wanna stay on cropped factor, by all means, stick with ef-s. but one day, you will need to sell all ur lens if you going FF.

L lens is not there just because pple have more $ and just want to buy something more expensive than normal.

I am outta here. I guess the forum has enuff info for TS to decide which lens to buy. :) but read through carefully.

cheers.
*Face palm*

actually he is right to a certain extent. the 24-105 according to the iso charts on the digi pic, performs better than 15-85. but the way he puts it seems wrong. 17-55 is better than the 24-70L and 24-105L. =)

Last edited:
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

wow... then I guess Canon needs to relook into their L series? ef-s getting better than L series? pls use reference else it is going to start misleading TS.

if u wanna stay on cropped factor, by all means, stick with ef-s. but one day, you will need to sell all ur lens if you going FF.

L lens is not there just because pple have more $ and just want to buy something more expensive than normal.

I am outta here. I guess the forum has enuff info for TS to decide which lens to buy. :) but read through carefully.

cheers.

Some EF-S lenses such as the 17-55mm and the 10-22mm have L-class IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.