18-135mm or 50mm f1.8 II for holiday?

Yeah I know.. But I am its kinda more of like a go there and enjoy thing. The pictures are just for memory.. XD
And my tripod sucks.

hmm get a new one. i can loan u mine. like say.. $20 a day? :bsmilie:

iceshu said:
My friend brought a 50mm lens to an overseas trip.

He swiftly regretted it.

50mm is too narrow and not versatile enough.

Every lens has its use.

Must learn how to use. I'm trying to learn as well. Find it quite useful actually.

If u read enough articles, u will know that 50mm is the most useful lens ever, something that no photographer can do without

donut88 said:
If u read enough articles, u will know that 50mm is the most useful lens ever, something that no photographer can do without

50mm is often regarded as a "normal" lens because the perspectives closely match what you see normally with your eyes. But that's with film/FX cameras. On crop bodies 50 is a tad narrow.

ZerocoolAstra said:
50mm is often regarded as a "normal" lens because the perspectives closely match what you see normally with your eyes. But that's with film/FX cameras. On crop bodies 50 is a tad narrow.

Yup true true. It depends on how u use it.

LOL XD
I should have said it more clearly.
He doesnt allow me to get a tripod that is >100$

beebeeice said:
LOL XD

That's a pity.
From personal experience, it's usually "penny wise, pound foolish" to buy a cheap but unreliable system, only to need a replacement/upgrade in the near future.

LOL XD

Let yr dad know, yr cam cost abt 2k so getting a $200 tripod to support is ok,
If yr so call "lousy" tripod fell, and that the cam will cost more to replace.:cool:;)

But anywayz, i dont use the tripod much.

It's not about how frequent you use it. But once you use it, then it should do its job properly, right? Read a bit about tripods, there are a few budget models that can be used as starting point. Alternatively, check Buy & Sell. Personally, I prefer pan head instead of ball head. They are cheaper also.

18-135mm should be good and a tripod so that you can be included in the tour photos.

beebeeice said:
Yeah I know.. But I am its kinda more of like a go there and enjoy thing. The pictures are just for memory.. XD
And my tripod sucks.

Having a lousy tripod is better than having no tripod.

As for me, a tripod is indispensable for me when I travel.

beebeeice said:
But anywayz, i dont use the tripod much.

Once you know how to use a tripod to get some nice shots, you will not be able to live without one.

I'll only leave my tripod at home if I'm shoot for event in HDB flats. Any other shoot, it sticks on my bag the whole time even if I didn't use it the whole day. Yu never know when u will need it.

Having a lousy tripod is better than having no tripod.

As for me, a tripod is indispensable for me when I travel.

Once you know how to use a tripod to get some nice shots, you will not be able to live without one.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

a tripod is very handy for landscaping. in fact... i bring it everywhere i go when i shoot. you'll never know, when a situation arises that you wished u had a tripod, reached for it... and remembered that it's at home.

if weight is an issue, you can always look at the carbon fiber models.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

a tripod is very handy for landscaping. in fact... i bring it everywhere i go when i shoot. you'll never know, when a situation arises that you wished u had a tripod, reached for it... and remembered that it's at home.

if weight is an issue, you can always look at the carbon fiber models.

Assuming you are joining a Tour Group, I find that very hard to utilize the tripod cos of the speed the group is moving at most of the places (5-10mins per small area for photo stop). But unless you have the tripod already extended and ready for "instant deployment" and or you have > 1hr in the area to go around sight seeing (most shots are snap and go kinda cos the area is too big to spend too much time in an area).

But if nightscape is one of your event, it's highly recommended to lug the tripod along and "hope" to get a good shot with the limited time and space constraints (you will also require abit of luck in hope that no one fires a flash when you are taking long exposure shots). AFAIK normally for night scenery locations, they tend to stay a little longer.

For the original TS question, 18-135 > 50mm. But if possible, both.

Assuming you are joining a Tour Group, I find that very hard to utilize the tripod cos of the speed the group is moving at most of the places (5-10mins per small area for photo stop). But unless you have the tripod already extended and ready for "instant deployment" and or you have > 1hr in the area to go around sight seeing (most shots are snap and go kinda cos the area is too big to spend too much time in an area).

But if nightscape is one of your event, it's highly recommended to lug the tripod along and "hope" to get a good shot with the limited time and space constraints (you will also require abit of luck in hope that no one fires a flash when you are taking long exposure shots). AFAIK normally for night scenery locations, they tend to stay a little longer.

For the original TS question, 18-135 > 50mm. But if possible, both.

There are always moments for you to deploy a tripod. And if you practice enough, one can get everything setup within a couple of minutes ready to go.

There are always moments for you to deploy a tripod. And if you practice enough, one can get everything setup within a couple of minutes ready to go.

Agreed. But often I find it challenging to find a nice/interesting composition within an extremely limited timeframe then to setup the tripod to take the shot. Probably more practice is needed.