18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G Selling my kit lens which lens should I get?

Cquek

Jan 6, 2013
Penang
www.cquek.com
Camera: D7000
If I sell my kit lens 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G what type of lens should I get? How much is it worth?

I have 35mm f/1.8 G.
I want something sharper than the kit lens .

Please advise. Thanks!

Sharper? Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

expensive la..

You are paying for quality glass given you were expecting your next lens to be sharp.

So how sharp you want without paying too much? What is paying 'too much' by your expectation for a SHARP lens?

And most importantly if you have limited fund.. what is the purpose of your next lens use????

Kit lens is already quite a sharp lens. Why sell it?

And what do you shoot or want to shoot? What is your budget? Without all these info, how do you expect people here to help you?

The kit lens is quite sharp. Used ones are being posted for sale about $180 -220 in the buy & sell section.

If you are into primes, the current Nikon f/1.8 pirmes are very sharp & not too expensive. The 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm f/1.8.

If you want a zoom lens at lower cost the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC USD is a good buy. Sharp & with VC.

The new Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS HSM ART is another sharp lens.

There are too many lenses available,,, these are just a few that I can recall off hand that's sharp & not too expensive.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the info, agreed qood lens sure expensive. All depends on my own budget and what I shoot. Noted.
I am going to check out the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 , if I buy second hand lens what must I take note? I mean how to check the lens in good condition?

Actually, sharpness is relative unless the subject matter demands it (ie. Photography of Perched Birds and wanting to showcase feather details for patterns and color). If you are changing lens primary in pursuit of sharpness and have a tight budget constraint then might as well spend some money to get software to post process the sharpness. Cheaper and the software can do more things.

Nonetheless, some suggestions for lens below SGD 1,000 you can consider.

Non constant f/2.8 lens
1) Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6G FX (This is the new G lens version), equivalent FoV to 27-52mm on D7000. Great lens for landscape
2) Nikon 50mm f/1.8G FX (equivalent FoV: 75mm on D7000
3) Nikon 85mm f/1.8G FX (equivalent FoV: to ~125mm on D7000

Thank you for all the info, agreed qood lens sure expensive. All depends on my own budget and what I shoot. Noted.
I am going to check out the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 , if I buy second hand lens what must I take note? I mean how to check the lens in good condition?

Actually, sharpness is relative unless the subject matter demands it (ie. Photography of Perched Birds and wanting to showcase feather details for patterns and color). If you are changing lens primary in pursuit of sharpness and have a tight budget constraint then might as well spend some money to get software to post process the sharpness. Cheaper and the software can do more things.

Nonetheless, some suggestions for lens below SGD 1,000 you can consider.

Non constant f/2.8 lens
1) Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6G FX (This is the new G lens version), equivalent FoV to 27-52mm on D7000. Great lens for landscape
2) Nikon 50mm f/1.8G FX (equivalent FoV: 75mm on D7000
3) Nikon 85mm f/1.8G FX (equivalent FoV: to ~125mm on D7000

Light Machinery - Thanks for the link will read it.
Luminare - Software. Yes you are right. I should use Lightroom and CS5. Thank you so much for all the information. Will check out the lens you provided. Very useful.

If I sell my kit lens 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G what type of lens should I get? How much is it worth?

I have 35mm f/1.8 G.

Please advise. Thanks!

You can also consider third party lens like Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. The range make this lens very useful if you don't want to keep changing lens when outside. I personally own one and really like it. It's slightly sharper than the kit lens but not as good as Pro level glass. And the last time I checked it only cost $599.

Last edited:
Maybe you could think a little outside the box, and reconsider selling your kit lens. Bear in mind other than the 17-70 suggested all other suggestions are FX lenses, and other than the 18-35G suggested, you will have significantly narrowly FOV (field of view) at 24mm FX = 36mm DX, might drive you crazy when you need the extra FOV.

If the kit lens is failing badly in your book and you can't stand using it for another day...
- sell it
- you are likely to need another standard zoom
- the last I checked, most standard zoom that are not the top lenses (the f/2.8 Nikkors) are mostly "slightly sharper" than the kit lens, i.e. the loss of use of kit lens and the expense of buying a Sigma or Tamron may bring so little gain that it may not be worth the exercise. Plus Sigma's have well know focus consistency issues with Nikon bodies.
- That is, there will be quite a bit of loss (monetary) but not much gain (IQ).
- Then the only option to get significantly better IQ, IMHO, is to spend big and get the top lenses. Bear in mind to cover the same range you will need at least 2 lenses, say 18-35G and 24-120G (Nikkors I am suggesting) and these 2 lenses will set you back ~$2500. These are FX lenses that will be useful if you upgrade to FX, which may or may not be necessary.

There will be many times the kit lens is sharp and flexible enough to meet most purposes.

I second the other bros who suggest going prime route. Keep your kit lens for flexibility and non-critical applications, after all, it will bring back $180-$200, hardly worth the exercise.

Get either 50/1.8G ~$300 (a bit too close in FOV to 35) or 85/1.8G ~$600 and you will open up a new horizon in optical performance without spending megabucks.

Or explore ultrawide by going 12-24G or 10-24G, play with tele by going 70-300VR or 70-200VR (f4 for affordability), both options are ~$1000+ and you are opening new horizon. Ultrawide are DX lenses, telephotos mentioned here are FX lenses.

Last edited:
you want lens sharper?
or sharper lens?

the first option may cost you not much, you need to learn technique how to shoot sharp photo.

the second option seem to be a simple solution, but not so.
pro lenses are expensive, so are their repairing cost.
and it is very big, bulky and heavy too.
you may afford to own it, but in the end you may very reluctant to bring them out to use.

think carefully first.

question would be, what do you shoot?

why do you feel the kit lens is holding you back?

selling 18-105 for a 24-70..

you gain a stop on the wide end and 2 stops on the telephoto end...

you lose coverage.. 18-24 and 70-105

24-70 is a weird focal length on a dx sensor. and it's not much sharper compared to your kit lens

Other options is to get the Nikon 16-85mm, wider and longer but it's a f3.5-5.6. And it's pricier, but you get full time manual override for the Auto focus.

the first option may cost you not much, you need to learn technique how to shoot sharp photo.

Uncle catchlights hit the nail on the head with this comment. This, in my opinion, is key.

I have 35mm f/1.8 G.

Please advise. Thanks!

If you have no intention of upgrading to FX at all, why not sell all your existing lenses and get the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and probably another 50mm f1.8G.

@TS:

Actually, we don't really know what is the root cause of you arriving in determining the lack of sharpness in your kit lens. You can show us some photos if you wish to or you might want to check your technique first and like my original suggestion, pair technique with a good post processing software to extract details out of the data in RAW and that might work more cost effectively for a casual photographer.

The rational behind my comment above is that I have used the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 VR for almost 3 years before it made way for other lens that I own now. While the edges of the frame are softer, the photos I took still pretty sharp to me. Not to steal anyone's thunder, but the below photos were taken with Nikon D5000 and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. These are Jpeg. Didn't start shooting RAW till 2012.

Are they soft to your eye?

9584731413_0705b99673_c.jpg

9532207035_a9a2a11708_c.jpg

9573498651_056748f50f_c.jpg

9576295920_a7951ecf56_c.jpg

thank you so much for the time to share all the information. I am so glad to read and I learned a lot from all of you. Now I know more about it.

thank you so much for the time to share all the information. I am so glad to read and I learned a lot from all of you. Now I know more about it.

The more important aspect is to learn photography more. With better skills, you will know how to get better picures.

This is another oldie I shot with the 18-55 non-VR on a Nikon D40x using a $30 tripod.

3600032764_52365a3cd9_b.jpg