17th July : Stop taking any Photos, really, stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullyss

Jun 16, 2003
land of mu
www.ullyss.com
Celebrate this coming 17th July 2006, take no photos. not even on your mobile phone.
appreciate the moment

Join the No photography movement, It’s a simple idea dreamt up by Becca, a photo artist based in Brighton, UK.

this is what she has to say

Why put down your camera on 17th July?

Non- photography day is an effort on my part to revive the moment by putting down the camera. It is a day to think about how life exists, in essence and not appearance and to understand the inadequacy of the photograph in describing this essence, to bring awareness of the perils of living through the view finder or the display screen…

" This day was made after trekking through the Jungle on the Thailand/Burma Border with a group of travellers. As you would expect we came across many wonderful views, villages and creatures on our way; however I noticed that the people around me were living in these moments through their camera, and as soon as we stopped and were still, all reached for their camera

I felt my fellow travellers rarely really appreciated the essence of the moment they were in or engaged in any relationship between themselves and the places we stopped. They were more concerned with gaining the pattern the camera made…

Taking part in non-photography day is simple, leave your camera or recording equipment at home and abandon your photo shoots. Whatever your activities that day, appreciate the life of the moment you are in rather than documenting the appearance of it. You might want to sit down and read some of the books that have inspired me in my views to form the day- these are listed below- or just enjoy the moments your activities provide."

Link
http://www.nonphotographyday.com/events.html

Did you hear about this on the BBC World Service too? I heard an interview with the professional photographer who's idea it was. She is based in Brighton and it sounds like a big deal in the UK, with a high profile now in London, Brighton, Manchester and Leeds.

Can't say I will not take photos that day as I will be touring UK and can't really give up photography for that day! Wonder how many people will here??

NO problem for me!

I only photograph like once a week or forthnight!

What's the big deal?

some of the most vivid experiences i can remember didn't come with a photo documentation. probably the majority is!

can try just taking the picture in your mind on that day if you wanna show support.

nonsense..... revive what moment? and when is the photography day?

if this goes on... then next on par could probably be non-video day, non-computer day, non-automobile day, non-handphone day.... yup that's correct, to revive the moments of stone age....

anyway.. this is up to how individual appreciate.. 2 cents

Does that also mean I cant sell any cameras that day :dunno:

If those people on the trekk were not allowed to use their cameras, they probably would not have gone anyway. So what is the difference.

My friend and I went to Mt Mee yesterday for a look from there.
I did not have my eyes shut all of the way untill we reached the top.

We saw some beautiful views both on the way and around the mountain top.
I didn't see them after taking photo's of them but BEFORE I took them and that is why I DID take them.
What about a "don't drink coffee day", and have a thought for the Coffea Arabica plant in Brazil ?

Sion said:
Has uncle Darren decided which day is CS Non-Post Day?

:bsmilie:

we already have non-post hour during 10-11pm SGT ;p

(just a joke... appreciate it that we have Clubsnap to surf to)

I felt my fellow travellers rarely really appreciated the essence of the moment they were in or engaged in any relationship between themselves and the places we stopped. They were more concerned with gaining the pattern the camera made…

hmm ok that's her views but she should by no means impose her views on everyone else. hmm. :think:

Quite impossible..like tat we won't have newspaper on 18th July..even have, its oso a newspaper full of text onli..tat will be so uninteresting..

blazer_workz said:
Quite impossible..like tat we won't have newspaper on 18th July..even have, its oso a newspaper full of text onli..tat will be so uninteresting..

must be July Fool's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.