17-40mm F4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Oct 20, 2004
www.guoloong.com
I'm thinking of getting this lens soon. Any idea how much is the market price?

I've checked:
CP - $1208 nett
AP - $1200 w/o GST
TCW - $1180 nett (but with shop warranty)

Is it advisable to buy 2nd? I notice that the price for a 2nd hand copy is still quite high. Is it worth paying a little more for the 1 year warranty?

Gd choice...i'm also waiting to get mine for my EOS 30. The price is ok...but i dun suggest u get 2nd hand.

MS color Canon EF 17-40/4L-------$1220(inc.gst)
I think Oracle still has some

Zack said:
Is it worth paying a little more for the 1 year warranty?

It's not just for the 1 year warranty but also a clean history slate of the lens and peace of mind. So what if the lens is 1 month old? he might have dropped it several times in that duration.

I'm not dissing 2nd hand, its just my opinion.

How different is it that I buy from a reseller (like Oracle) compare to from an established shop (like CP/AP/MSColor)?

Are there any risks involved?

6mth/12mth interest free installment is usually the factor that sways me to buy from CP. Oracle is a respectable seller and i have bought stuff from him before. You will just have to weigh the $ savings, ease of payment and peace of mind before the purchase.

Zack said:
How different is it that I buy from a reseller (like Oracle) compare to from an established shop (like CP/AP/MSColor)?

Are there any risks involved?

Well I guess you have to look for a reputable dealer... make sure the warranty is as they claim it to be. A genuine local warranty commands a premium over grey stuff.

Also when getting 2nd hand stuff, take some time to get to know the seller. Check his history... is he really as he says he is... ie. a dealer will have many B&S posts and transactions... an enthusiast will fewer but specific items... this can alert you to potential scams. You can get a general profile of the seller by doing some "searching". Does he check out?

If you're comfortable meet up and while inspecting the goods talk to the guy... is he nervous... anxious to pump off the goods... afraid you might spot something he intentionally did not mention.....or is he helpful, giving you tips, allowing you to take your time etc. Finally you need to have some idea how to check the stuff. Trust your gut feeling & instinct. If something's not right, walk away.

some guy here selling for $900 without hood. i may give it a pass

One of my concern is what is i get a lemon copy from a reseller? Can i do a 1 to 1 exhange within 7 days?

Get from Oracle! He is selling at $1140 for a brand new set with international waranty! Very reliable person... guess many could vouch for that... got mine from him as well :thumbsup:

Zack said:
One of my concern is what is i get a lemon copy from a reseller? Can i do a 1 to 1 exhange within 7 days?

Well depends on what arrangement you have with him, and his honesty. There's always some risk involved.

I will buy used copy anytime. Most CSers just like to collect lots of lenses and they tend to be super underutilised. So most of the time you get to save a few hundred bucks getting a copy that is almost new. :thumbsup:

I got almost all my lenses 2nd hand and have no problems.
My 17-40L was bought 2nd hand quite heavily used but works perfectly.
IMO they are well built and can take some punishment without adverse effects.

Russ said:
I got almost all my lenses 2nd hand and have no problems.
My 17-40L was bought 2nd hand quite heavily used but works perfectly.
IMO they are well built and can take some punishment without adverse effects.

Bought mine used as well. It's a well built lens. Just check the lens for fungus,etc..before buying it.

Canew said:
Why do you say that, Snoweagle? Just like to know your opinion. :)

Hmmm let me venture a guess... probably cos its such a great lens that anyone who owns it is unlikely to sell unless he's given up the hobby OR cos the lens is less than perfect? In which case its more likely the latter.

solarii said:
Hmmm let me venture a guess... probably cos its such a great lens that anyone who owns it is unlikely to sell unless he's given up the hobby OR cos the lens is less than perfect? In which case its more likely the latter.
Ahhhhh. So I see...thanks, solarii. :)

sorry for the Hijack :embrass:

does anyone know the price of 17-40mm in Japan? Have got a friend there that can buy for me but dunno if it is cheaper..

Canew said:
Why do you say that, Snoweagle? Just like to know your opinion. :)

The lowest price i've seen for 2nd hand is from $950 which isn't that worth it. I'd rather fork out a bit more to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.