17-40mm f/4.0 or 17-55mm f/2.8

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi guys,I shall put off the idea of the 24-70mm & 24-105mm as of now.(Actually I am using a crop body).Who knows,I might upgrade FF sometime soon,so meanwhile I have narrowed down my choice to this 2 lens...the 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM & the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.
So,same question again,besides the f/stop & the further 15mm reach on the 17-55mm,what is the main difference of this 2 lens?Personally,I have never owned or tried out this 2 lens before so I have no idea how they compare against one another.
Right now I am without a single lens & I have a "street photography" project coming out so I would really appreciate if any mods,'old birds" of CS or any brudders out there could shed some light or comments on the 2 lens so that I can come to a better decision.Anyway,I am not buying a new lens & will be looking at the B&S section for some 2nd hand ones.
Pls share your views & comments if you guys have owned or are using either of this 2 lens.Here's appreciating your kind help.Thanks very much!

Buy what you need at the moment. Not for what you think you will need many years into the unknown future where it may not even happen.

My vote? 17-55 if you do not have your kit lens left.

Are you going to get a FF camera in 2012?
If not, then get what is best for a crop…the 17-55..more range, better aperture…the Red L ring is really overrated :) If only they made the 17-55 EF instead of EFS hehe

Whether you are going for FF or not, my advise is to get the good copy of 2nd hand 17-55 in BnS, price around $1k.
If you really going for FF, just sell off the 17-55, I believe if you price it at $900 will be easily grapped up in no time.
For a lost of merely 100++ bucks, you will have a lot of fun on this lens.
That's my 2 cents advise.

Yup Submarine71,you are totally right on! Cheers!