16:9 and 4:3

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
The Panasonic LX1 has a CCD format of 16:9, it has a lens equivalent to 28mm, does it mean that it has the same angle of view as a 4:3 camera with a 28mm equivalent lens? Or is it incomparable since they are two totally different formats?

16:9 & 4:3 sound like talking about TV...

i know that most digital cameras (consumer) are based on 4:3, some have additional options of 3:2, but 16:9... i go see... LX1...

i think from the look of it, it says that its using a 16:9 CCD, strange... but den again... makes me wonder... if 16:9 is to fill up 28mm, den when its for 3:2 or 4:3 which i think is only using the centre portion, isn't that cropping, if so, when using that aspect, is it still 28mm?

very interested to know...

mayb nx time some dudes will make a round image censor? :bsmilie:

so no one knows? But I'm pretty sure 16:9 sensor will definitely have more horizontal resolution...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i think from the look of it, it says that its using a 16:9 CCD, strange... but den again... makes me wonder... if 16:9 is to fill up 28mm, den when its for 3:2 or 4:3 which i think is only using the centre portion, isn't that cropping, if so, when using that aspect, is it still 28mm?

very interested to know...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/
see the GIF animated file. i say this is extremely useful for landscape photography.

The Panasonic LX1 has a CCD format of 16:9, it has a lens equivalent to 28mm, does it mean that it has the same angle of view as a 4:3 camera with a 28mm equivalent lens?

same concerns here... i was wondering if i crop a photo taken at 28mm from a 4:3 image to 16:9, would it be any diff from the full field of view from lx1? If so then i wonder why dun panasonic just put a 28mm lens on the cam... instead of all the hassle to make a 16:9...:bsmilie:

From the animated GIF, looks like the 16:9 uses the whole CCD, while the other ratios are just cropped from the 16:9.

Status
Not open for further replies.