16-35mm - filter and vignetting

Miksang

I tested the 24-120mm f/4 with filters and noted the following:
-9mm filter (net of thread) creates vignetting wider than approx. 32mm
-7mm filter (net of thread) creates vignetting wider than approx. 30mm
when used with a FX camera.

On the other hand, there is no vignetting with both above filters when using the 24mm PCE.

This makes me wonder about the usability of filters with the 16-35mm, a lens that I am considering buying. Did anyone test this lens with filters? When does first vignetting occur?

Thank you for any input!

Try the B+W 77mm MRC Slim UV Filter.

It's specially built to avoid vignetting due to attaching filter on lens.

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, the test I made were with polarizing filters (9mm is Singh Ray gold n blue and 7mm would be either hoya or Singh Ray LB polarizers), which is typically what I would use most often on the lens, with ND grads and plain ND (for NDs, I use the 100x150mm type handheld so no vignetting problems).

I guess the B+W slim polarizer avoids the vignetting issue, but you've got no luck with the Singh Ray gold n blue since its quite specific.

On the other hand, there is no vignetting with both above filters when using the 24mm PCE.

The 24mm PCE is a lens that supports a much larger image circle so as to allow shift capabilities . To see if there is any chance of vignetting you probably have to appreciate it at full shift at the extremes.

Ryan

The 24mm PCE is a lens that supports a much larger image circle so as to allow shift capabilities . To see if there is any chance of vignetting you probably have to appreciate it at full shift at the extremes.

Ryan
Not to mention that only one edge will get vignetted >.<! Harder to correct in post

Well, even without filter, I can get some vignetting on my 24mm PCE as I modified it to tilt and shift in the same direction. It is however not a problem, I just use it within its non-vignetting range.

However, without tilt or shift, this lens can take polarizing filters (e.g. Singh Ray gold n blue with 9mm net of thread) without vignetting.

This means I can shoot at a focal lenght of 24mm pola filter on without issues, which I cannot do with the 24-120mm f/4. In our region, polarizing filters can help us improve the skies and gain a few hours of shooting light morning and afternoon...

In conclusion, I wonder whether anyone tested the 16-35mm with a pola filter and what is the widest focal lenght at which it can be used without vignetting on a FX camera...

Try the B+W 77mm MRC Slim UV Filter.

It's specially built to avoid vignetting due to attaching filter on lens.

After checking Schneideroptic website, I found that B+W slim circular polarizer with rotating ring has a profile of 5mm net of thread. Indeed better than the thin mount Singh Ray (about 2mm less).