16-35mm f2.8L lens vs 17-40mm f4L lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsr792000

Jul 5, 2005
Hello. I have seen many reviews about these 2 lens. Hope to get either one of these lens. Which one will you buy if you were me? I like to take landscape photos and the specifications are very similiar except the f number, so its kinda hard to choose...

lsr792000 said:
Hello. I have seen many reviews about these 2 lens. Hope to get either one of these lens. Which one will you buy if you were me? I like to take landscape photos and the specifications are very similiar except the f number, so its kinda hard to choose...

very common question, if the previous threads don't answer your question, please let us know which aspect you are unclear about?

if you are using a 1.6x DSLR, I would not recommend either for landscapes as you can't get 20mm/24mm which are 'workhorse' focal lengths for landscapes (at least, if you are a fan of landscape photographers like Galen Rowell). The 10-22 is the better option for 1.6x DSLRs (again, search the previous threads)

Oh thanks. Did read through the previous thread regarding these two lenses. Wow the prices offered in this forum are much lower as compared to the retail price.

if i were u, i'll get both Tamron's 11-18mm Di II & 18-200mm XR Di II lenses combo.

i dun mind d slower lense, but thatz a v wide working angle. (jus my opinion)

fellow CSers feel free 2 comment. i still w/ film arh. hehee...:sweat:

lsr792000 said:

Shooting landscape usually use smaller aperature of 8-16.... so I think if you want to save money, the 17-40mm f4L is more than enough since both lenses are L, and quite well built and good lenses quality......

But if you have a lot of money, then, take the 16-35mm f2.8L.

Hope that should answer your questions.

Just let you know I have none of the lenses, but I decided to get the 17-40mm later for landscape shots after some thoughts, but I have some primes with f2 and below to complement the zooms for low lights conditions..... :)

The 17-40mm is a good lens..cheaper too..portriats, landscape will do just great..

I am not a canon user, but i must say that tis lens is one of the best around..

Oh thanks for all your comments. I got my 16-35mm lens yesterday. Decided to take that lens as i am taking shots indoor under low light conditions as well. So the f2.8 will come in handy. Also, i can 'up' the f number but cant 'down' it if i get the 17-40mm lens. Next lens i am targeting is the 85mm f1.2L lens. Any comments on that lens?

nice bokeh but slow AF.

btw, f2.8 is not magical. u still need to watch out for slow shutter speeds and increase ISO accordingly if you're shooting avaiable light without support.

lsr792000 said:
If you take mostly landscapes, go for the 17-40L. You won't need the extra 1 or 2 f stops, cos you'll most likely use a tripod for landscape.

You can use it for normal group photos too, which I did for wedding photography.

The 17-40L won't be wrong. You won't regret it. :thumbsup:

lsr792000 said:
Oh thanks for all your comments. I got my 16-35mm lens yesterday. Decided to take that lens as i am taking shots indoor under low light conditions as well. So the f2.8 will come in handy. Also, i can 'up' the f number but cant 'down' it if i get the 17-40mm lens. Next lens i am targeting is the 85mm f1.2L lens. Any comments on that lens?
Din see your this post. Seemed that budget isn't a problem for you. Why ask then? Go get the best! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.