Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
Captured this child while on visit to a local karen tribe somewhere at chiangrai. Felt that although the world has advanced so much .... life stays the same around them .... thus the 'helpless' look.

upload.jpg

Basically a nice portrait shot of the child's expression. :) Nice use of shadow.

However, there is nothing in the photo to suggest that she (or is it "he"?) is feeling helpless because of seeing the world around them advancing, leaving them behind.

Feeling helpless/in anticipation, yes, but for whatever reason, there's no clue in the photo.

thks ah pao for the comments .... you are rite....maybe it's just my thoughts at that moment. However, looking at their living condition, how many of them are given a chance to live the life they could have. Went to Mae Sai, the border town of thailand and burma and saw lotsa child begger. Some of them still accompanied by their mother...

Maybe it's me who felt 'helpless' .

the look is not helpless ... seems just like an ordinary chubby kid, so the message becomes kids are the same everyway - modern or less advanced ... we are all humans, the same, technology or money dont separate us

so if u intended to convery helplessness it doesnt work

espion said:
the look is not helpless ... seems just like an ordinary chubby kid, so the message becomes kids are the same everyway - modern or less advanced ... we are all humans, the same, technology or money dont separate us

so if u intended to convery helplessness it doesnt work

Thanks for your comment. Have to agree that the 'helplessness' does not convey well enough from the pictures after hearing you guys out. Maybe it's just my interpretation of how their lives was at that moment. The child sitting there , waiting for some tourists to come to their village, buy handicrafts which are not made by them entirely, with mothers asking/shoving the child to pose for us 'desperately' in return for monetary rewards.

On a visit to Doi suthep , one hill tribe girl around 3 years old was rapping in English along the stairs.... I no money to eat, take pictures with me , one baht , two baht also can ....so pitiful ....... :cry:

love the lighting. would have liked more DOF on the child's face though, for more detail on the headgear and the far eye.

This picture works for me, I can sense the helplessness. Nice lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.