15 Spectacular Lightning Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/15-spectacular-lightning-images/

with so many 'lightning' accidents in sg .. strangely there's a lack of lightning photography here in singapore hor?
Singapore is too bright.. ;p You have to sit there and wait for the lightning.. The exposure for the image below is 4s, f/11 at ISO200. If I want to increase the exposure length to accomodate more lightnings, I would have to use a smaller aperture, lower the ISO or use an ND filter. A smaller aperture would put the optics at the diffraction limits. The ISO is already the lowest I could go on that body. And I don't have an ND filter with me at that time. ;p

Will try to catch more lightning if time permits.. ;p

EXIF Intact. Image cropped in PSE5.0.

Last edited:

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
Singapore is too bright.. ;p You have to sit there and wait for the lightning.. The exposure for the image below is 4s, f/11 at ISO200. If I want to increase the exposure length to accomodate more lightnings, I would have to use a smaller aperture, lower the ISO or use an ND filter. A smaller aperture would put the optics at the diffraction limits. The ISO is already the lowest I could go on that body. And I don't have an ND filter with me at that time. ;p

Will try to catch more lightning if time permits.. ;p

EXIF Intact. Image cropped in PSE5.0.
woo nice!
hahah might spoil ur image quality but how about tinted windows in ur flat? can't they be used as a ND filter? might protect rain from splashing on ur cam as well..

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
woo nice!
hahah might spoil ur image quality but how about tinted windows in ur flat? can't they be used as a ND filter? might protect rain from splashing on ur cam as well..
Aiyoh.. if got rain then won't get this kind of images loh... ;p So the precondition is that there must be lightning and it's not raining yet. ;p Tinted window would not work well.. They are not optical grade glass.

Last edited:

ExplorerZ

Jan 9, 2006
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
so far my best shot in SG(ok, only done it twice :bsmilie:)
Shot it at night around 9, so no ND used

photoshop adding more blue, originally was kind of violet. :sweat:

Last edited:

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
How to agak-agak where to get lightning?
You see where got lightning first lah.. then agak agak point there lor.. There should be quite a few repetitions because the cloud is in the region.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
so far my best shot in SG(ok, only done it twice :bsmilie:)
Shot it at night around 9, so no ND used

photoshop adding more blue, originally was kind of violet. :sweat:
Your night sky not very bright. 5" at f/8 somemore.. That's one stop more than I could manage.. I was shooting at 11pm and the sky was quite bright...:sweat:

ExplorerZ

Jan 9, 2006
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
Your night sky not very bright. 5" at f/8 somemore.. That's one stop more than I could manage.. I was shooting at 11pm and the sky was quite bright...:sweat:
doesn't matter as long as one bear to spam burst mode. most lightning looks best around f8-11, any lower it gets too thin or dull for the effect and vice versa. iirc i spammed like 100+ clicks or so for 3-4successful capture, and only 1 of the looks nicer and different to the others

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
doesn't matter as long as one bear to spam burst mode. most lightning looks best around f8-11, any lower it gets too thin or dull for the effect and vice versa. iirc i spammed like 100+ clicks or so for 3-4successful capture, and only 1 of the looks nicer and different to the others
Same.. I spam less shots.. happen to have one good one in the series of shots which I did just for fun.. ;p

Basically how long your shutter can remain open is determined by the sky condition. The longer you can remain open for a shot, the higher the chance that you will get a lightning event in the shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom