15-85mm on Crop camera = 24-135mm on Full Frame??

blazin

Apr 2, 2012
So if i would have switch from a Canon Crop camera with 15-85mm to a FF camera with 24-70mm lens.

The widest side is the same, when i view on both camera??

Is this correct??

Yes. The angle of view should be fairly similar at the widest setting of each setup.

Depth of field will be diff... eg 2.8 on cropped sensor and on FF will give diff DOF

So if i would have switch from a Canon Crop camera with 15-85mm to a FF camera with 24-70mm lens.

The widest side is the same, when i view on both camera??

Is this correct??

Yes the angle of view should be similar (15mm on crop vs 24mm on FF) :)
If you're talking abt looking through the viewfinder, there may also be differences due to different cameras' VF coverage (eg 96%, 100%, etc)

I am using a 7D so should be 100% VF rite??

I am using a 7D so should be 100% VF rite??

According to Canon's site, 7D is 100% viewfinder coverage.
5D mkIII is 100% coverage
5D mkII is 98% coverage

So if comparing 5DmkII @ 24mm vs 7D @ 15mm, my assumption is that you see a SLIGHTLY wider view through the 7D's viewfinder :)

Details... details.... don't let that get in the way of good photography ;)

According to Canon's site, 7D is 100% viewfinder coverage.
5D mkIII is 100% coverage
5D mkII is 98% coverage

So if comparing 5DmkII @ 24mm vs 7D @ 15mm, my assumption is that you see a SLIGHTLY wider view through the 7D's viewfinder :)

Details... details.... don't let that get in the way of good photography ;)

photographers need to pay attention on the details IN THE PHOTOS, that separates between a good photographer and a sloppy photographer. :)

catchlights said:
photographers need to pay attention on the details IN THE PHOTOS, that separates between a good photographer and a sloppy photographer. :)

Yes that is so true :)

trd2970 said:
Depth of field will be diff... eg 2.8 on cropped sensor and on FF will give diff DOF

Hmm.... Sorry to butt in. But I "think" this sounds weird.

DOF remains the same, be it crop or FF, at the same distance, with the only difference of having the "further" flexibility of having the ability to move in closer with FF as the FoV would be wider; therefore affecting the distance to subject to background distance which then will affect the DoF, right?

SyncGuy said:

DOF remains the same, be it crop or FF, at the same distance, with the only difference of having the "further" flexibility of having the ability to move in closer with FF as the FoV would be wider; therefore affecting the distance to subject to background distance which then will affect the DoF, right?

Its not weird, if subject is in the same distance, both camera crop and ff with focal length at 50mm (35mm equivilent and crop should be around 35 mm), ff should have a smaller dof compare to the crop

This is why when you go into bigger format focusing accuracy have to be very accurate at wide aperture

Last edited:
same angle but you will think that your crop sensor body will not be that wide as the viewfinder is smaler than the full frame camera...

Right.