14-24mm for ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkuean

Apr 12, 2008
s314.photobucket.com
Hey guys and gals, have anybody shot an Rom with an 14-24mm/ f2.8?
heard and read that is a legendary lens.. Cause been searching around and read about needing a wide-angle to cover such events...
me only got a 18-135 kit lens and was thinking of renting the 14-24mm to cover the wide-angle aspect...
but is it too wide? or should i just rent a 17-35/ f 2.8 or smth... I'm using D80 btw...
oh this is the first time i'm shooting an rom... not as backup but i'm the only photog there... :confused:
Yes, i noe this is cliche and overly asked, but no harm asking again, any tips for a newbie like me? :D

I've gone down to 10mm - it's not usually a problem if some distortion is acceptable, but you really have to watch out if you tilt the lens up or down - that's when things really get 'interesting'! People at the edges of the frame, even if you're perfectly squared, will get distorted and look funny, so you have to constantly ensure that you keep people away from the edges of the frame when you go wider.

No offense, but if you're not familiar with using ultra wides, and you're the main tog, I would not recommend experimenting on the couple's important day.

Depends ... generally anything starting from 15 - 17mm on the wide end is fine. For my style of shooting, 18 is already too restrictive.

I suggest you go for 17-55mm. This would be enough for the ROM. In fact, your D80 kit lens is good enough for the job unless you really need the bigger aperture.

Distortion is very well controlled in 14-24mm. But I think 17-35 will be fine. It's just a few steps or forward. You can also consider 17-55 f/2.8 too.

There is a cheaper alternative, which is to get a flash, like SB-600 or SB-800. Learn to use it well, and you use your 18-135mm kit lens. With flash, you may be able to overcome the problem less light due to smaller aperture, on most occasions. But of course you are sacrificing bokeh.

I believe you are taking about shooting a ROM event at the ROM building, getting something that you are not familiar with, to be used on a important event which you are encounter at a first time is a very bad idea.

ROM ceremony is a very fast pace event, best you use something which you are very familiar with, and keep things simple.

btw, I hope the couple you are helping didn't read this thread......

can ask friends around u, for experiences, things to look out for, especially when the couple opens the door and marches in, the signing of the letters, exchanges of rings and the most important moment not to miss, the kisses :kiss:... group photos.

be sure loaded with spare batteries for ur cam and flash, cos u will dun wann miss anythings out...

not sure where the ceremony will be taken place, but if u know where's the acutal location , do take a peep if u r free, familiar with the surroundings, or do a recee whatever

hmm... so what would u recommend i use?

Rent another camera body as well. Rent flash (e.g. SB600 or 800) also. Wide angle or not is dependant on how u shoot.

Ur 85 1.8 is pretty good. Should be mounted on one body. The lens on the body, probably the wide angle u wanted. Save u trouble and time changing lenses. So u go ard with 2 bodies.

Experiment with it b4 the real shooting. Learn how to use it properly.

u only have 1 camera right? then just use ur 18-135. I don't think u have time to change lens during the event. the 18-135 can do the job im sure. U just need to use flash to compensate for light as the aperture is not large although flash technique is a different story all together.

The main thing is to know your equipment.

The first mistake of too many newbies: Underestimating the capabilities of a kit lens, and thus downplaying its usefulness.

The 14-24 (or any ultrawide) should always be used sparingly. A few of these shots (~10%) will make the album interesting. Too many, and it'll become a distraction.

Go safe, stick with the 18-135, and think about how to compose your shots instead of worrying about your gear.

Oh thanks for all the advice guys!
The Rom would be held at tenah merah country club not at rom... so yar i never go before...
but i tink i'll go about 1-2 hours before the ceremony to check out the place, lighting and stuff...
I would be renting a sb-800 with a lightsphere for that day...
Since Fotophilic said that a second body would come in handy, i would be asking my friend to lend me his D70s then i attach my prime to it la...
But as for the hotly debated subject about my kit lens and experimenting, its not that i want to experiment on that day la, i also know its a very important day and i shouldn't be fooling around..
But i tink even though i'm inexperienced, i would try to give it my best shot, so by renting other lens, like the 17-35 or the 14-24, i was hoping the superior IQ and other better qualities of the lens as compared to my kit lens would hopefully produce better photos..
I noe its the person not the equipment that makes or breaks a photo, i'm also a strong believer in that but i tink better equipment still helps la...
After all,i am still relatively greenhorn and need all the help i can get.
All i want is to take better pictures for my friend...

IQ in what sense? In most cases, it's not really perceptible, especially if the photos are going to be printed on 4R.

The 14-24 is essentially a different lens from an 18-135, so it's hard to compare them head on. One can complement the other, but certainly not replace each other. Good as the ultra-wide may be, it can't produce the pleasing compressed perspective effects of a zoom.

Since you can get a 2nd body, I recommend you mount your 18-135 on your main body because you'll be shooting about 3/4 of your shots with this (bread-and-butter shots). Then with your second camera, mount your 85 or ultrawide for the specialty shots. This is like the icing on the cake (but note that good icing does not make a good cake!)

Honestly though, if this is going to be your first time, try to keep it as simple as possible. I now sometimes shoot entire weddings using only one 50mm prime, and contrary to my own initial reservations, having limited gear actually gave me a feeling of greater freedom. Work with what you have for the moment, it should be fine. :)

imho, yr 18-135mm with Sb800 should be enough to cover the rom event.

if u want to rent other lens like the 12-24mm, it will be gd to rent it one or two days in advance, so that u can 'play' with the lens.

the key of success is Keep It Simple.

FYI, 14~24 is not a tiny winny lens, camera mounted with SB800, LS PJII and this lens or a 17~35 or 17~55 are weight alot.
If you have not try to shoot with this type of set up before, and try using this on your friend's ROM, I would wish good luck to you and your friend.

Hey guys and gals, have anybody shot an Rom with an 14-24mm/ f2.8?
heard and read that is a legendary lens.. Cause been searching around and read about needing a wide-angle to cover such events...
me only got a 18-135 kit lens and was thinking of renting the 14-24mm to cover the wide-angle aspect...
but is it too wide? or should i just rent a 17-35/ f 2.8 or smth... I'm using D80 btw...
oh this is the first time i'm shooting an rom... not as backup but i'm the only photog there... :confused:
Yes, i noe this is cliche and overly asked, but no harm asking again, any tips for a newbie like me? :D

How can a lens just released not long ago be considered legendary? I think you should just rent the 17-55/2.8DX if you want to try.

Thanks once again for all the feedback! :D
Isisaxon, i heard from my friend that the photos that the 14-24 are superb and that it is super nice and detailed so yar...Then also saw a few shots in cs taken by the lens...

From what i gathered, this sums it up,

the key of success is Keep It Simple.

So i tink i would just stick with my kit lens as my primary lens.... as thats the one i'm more familar with....

But my hand still itchly le.....:hammer: :hammer::hammer:
See how la...hahas

Anyway have any of ur all shot at the tenah merah country club before? hows the place like?

Life is SIMPLE ...

When shooting IMPORTANT events/occassions, ALWAYS stick to ONLY what you are TOTALLY familiar with.

When fingers, hands and pants itchy, rent on your own personal time and shoot to your heart's content. :bsmilie:

This is real.

I once rented a spare body for an important event.

In one of the provided CF cards, the previous rentee did not erase the files. It was some kind of VVIP and GOH suit and tie presentation event on stage.

Most of the exposure was wrong, and ALL the shots were out of focus. I figured the rentee did not know how to use a DSLR (1st timer), or was not familiar with that particular model.

I 'pity' the person photoing such an important event. :sweat:

see, that is scary, none of the photos are deliverable.......

when I bought a new piece equipment, I will not use it on a PAID job until I get familiar with it, people paid me to shoot them, not take them as guinea pig.

I think this is the same principle will apply on you too, your friend ask you to help them, not take them as guinea pig.

. I now sometimes shoot entire weddings using only one 50mm prime, and contrary to my own initial reservations, having limited gear actually gave me a feeling of greater freedom. Work with what you have for the moment, it should be fine. :)

Wah i salute u man, a whole wedding with just a prime? U're not the main PG right? Else how u handle all the group shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.