135 f/2 L & 70-200 f/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1600

Jun 8, 2004
Now I currently owned a 70-200 f/4L, but thinking of getting the 135 f/2L.. but I find that I'll be getting an over lapping range.. what I like for the 135 is, its a f/2... & 70-200 is it can cover a longer range... BTW, I'm using the 70-200 more on indoor photography e.g fashion shows.. Any advise that I should get the 135mm f/2L? Thanks....:thumbsup:

AMD1600 said:
Now I currently owned a 70-200 f/4L, but thinking of getting the 135 f/2L.. but I find that I'll be getting an over lapping range.. what I like for the 135 is, its a f/2... & 70-200 is it can cover a longer range... BTW, I'm using the 70-200 more on indoor photography e.g fashion shows.. Any advise that I should get the 135mm f/2L? Thanks....:thumbsup:

have you asked why you need the 135? that will answer your question

if you find that the f4 is not limiting your shooting even in indoor environments, then no point getting the 135 f2. you will also lose the flexibility and longer reach of the zoom (esp during a runway show). but if u have the dough to spare, then i guess the 135 f2 will be excellant for low light and more static environments

Belle&Sebastain said:
have you asked why you need the 135? that will answer your question

The 135 f/2L is a fast lens... I think it will be easiler to use for indoor photography.. correct me if I'm wrong..

It all depends on whether if you really need that range and what you intend to use it for. But if you find that you can use the 70-200 f4 to substitute that range than there's no point in getting the 135 f2. But if you need 135 f2 for low light shooting that's another story. :)

AMD1600 said:
The 135 f/2L is a fast lens... I think it will be easiler to use for indoor photography.. correct me if I'm wrong..

hehe, so do you find the f4 of your 70-200 limiting? thats the question u must ask yourself....

Based on techanical data, the 135 f2L is one of the sharpest lens with good solid bokeh performance in the canon lens line. The f2 will definitely improve your indoor lowlight shots and its the only one currently below f2.8 in the telephoto range.

JUST BUY LAH. At most you can always sell to someone else. ;)

For me the 135 f2 is a little bit difficult to handle, I rather prefer 85mm range for indoor or low light usage. The 85 f1.2 mk 2 is a lens good for low light usage, just that the price...:sweat:

AMD1600 said:
Why not consider a 70-200mmf2.8L?Very Sharp too..and just 1/3 stop more than the 135L.
Good for fashion shows and low light.

i have the 70-200 f4L, the 135 f2L and the 85 f1.8.

I do not feel that the 135L "overlaps" the 70-200. yes, the focal range is covered in the 70-200, and yes, the 70-200 gives me great pictures, but the 135 f2L is just totally in a different league in terms of picture quality. it's got that dreamy pop that no other lens i have can give. i still use the 85 f1.8 when i want prime quality sharp pictures even though i know the 70-200 is in my bag. options i guess.

maybe it's just me, but when i shoot with my 135L, i get a totally different feeling that shooting with the 70-200 f4L doesn't give. they're pretty close in price too so price is not the reason. i bought this lens to learn to shoot with a tele prime, and the 70-200 comes out when i have no space to move around, or if i know i am going to shoot a variety of situations. for fashion shows i am usually standing at one spot so i will just pick 85 or 135 depending on where i am standing at that show in particular. i love primes, and the 135L is just one heck of a nice prime to use just for the fun of it.

If forced to answer, no one really NEEDS a 135 f2L for a hobbyist. Heck, you would not even need more than a pns. If you want it and you can afford it, go for it. You will enjoy it a lot, and if you really regret it, the resale value is very decent.

i have a few different types of screwdrivers and wrenches in the same size, so i don't need a t-spanner, but it's a nicer tool to have if you're working on a part that is hard to reach with a normal socket or crescent wrench. sometimes having the perfect tool for the job just makes you feel great working with the tools you know? :)

AMD1600 said:

Don't go for over lapping range...:nono:
You can sell your EF 70-200 F/4L at Buy & Sell...:)
Go for the EF 70-200 F/2.8L(IS or Non IS). Very good for indoor shoot without flash...:thumbsup:

GitS said:
hehe, so do you find the f4 of your 70-200 limiting? thats the question u must ask yourself....

:thumbsup: that's it, if you can answer the question can get it, if your current lens is working, why the switch?

Dunnomuch said:

I do not feel that the 135L "overlaps" the 70-200. yes, the focal range is covered in the 70-200, and yes, the 70-200 gives me great pictures, but the 135 f2L is just totally in a different league in terms of picture quality. it's got that dreamy pop that no other lens i have can give. i still use the 85 f1.8 when i want prime quality sharp pictures even though i know the 70-200 is in my bag. options i guess.

maybe it's just me, but when i shoot with my 135L, i get a totally different feeling that shooting with the 70-200 f4L doesn't give. they're pretty close in price too so price is not the reason. i bought this lens to learn to shoot with a tele prime, and the 70-200 comes out when i have no space to move around, or if i know i am going to shoot a variety of situations. for fashion shows i am usually standing at one spot so i will just pick 85 or 135 depending on where i am standing at that show in particular. i love primes, and the 135L is just one heck of a nice prime to use just for the fun of it.

If forced to answer, no one really NEEDS a 135 f2L for a hobbyist. Heck, you would not even need more than a pns. If you want it and you can afford it, go for it. You will enjoy it a lot, and if you really regret it, the resale value is very decent.

i have a few different types of screwdrivers and wrenches in the same size, so i don't need a t-spanner, but it's a nicer tool to have if you're working on a part that is hard to reach with a normal socket or crescent wrench. sometimes having the perfect tool for the job just makes you feel great working with the tools you know? :)

Wow! Nice Great explainations.. Thanks for ya comments...:thumbsup:

Thanks for all who replied this.. So getting the 70-200mm f/2.8L might be better choice.. & sell my f/4 version...

Dunnomuch said:

good, I am thinking about 85/1.8+135/2 or 70-200/2.8 because they have same prices...

slacker123 said:
certainly a 135L and a 1.4x.

This combo recommendation is quite a bit better off than the 70-200 f2.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.