12X Optical Zoom on Lumix Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatsnake

Jul 3, 2005
I have a hard time trying to figure out how the 12X optical zoom was achieved on the Lumix digital camera with such a short barrel. The focal length is from 4.6mm to 55.2mm but what is the side effect of having such a short focal length? Angle of field? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.......:think:

fatsnake said:
I have a hard time trying to figure out how the 12X optical zoom was achieved on the Lumix digital camera with such a short barrel. The focal length is from 4.6mm to 55.2mm but what is the side effect of having such a short focal length? Angle of field? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.......:think:

Smaller sensor size ? So a 4.6mm to 55.2mm can bring abt to 36mm to 432mm..
its about 1/2.5" compared to a full frame sensor at 2.5".

The DC Vario-Elmarit Lens featured on the DMC-FZ1S/K and the DMC-FZ10S/K includes:
  • Thirteen elements in eight groups
  • 12x zoom lens system equivalent to a 35mm to 420mm lens
  • Three newly-designed aspherical lenses (two one-sided, one dual-sided)
  • Mega Optical Image Stabilizer
  • F2.8 brightness (Wide to Telephoto)
  • Focal distance of 4.6mm to 55.2mm
  • Multi-coating technology minimizes ghosting caused by excessive light Fast shutter speeds

Thanks for the info. The multiplier is about 7.6 judging from the spec posted on the website.
Check out the aperture, 2.8 consistent throughout the range.....
Quite impressive.....Any side effect for the small sensor size? :think:

It is 4MP......

One major side effect is noise.

Yup. You get noisy pics.

no you cannot say get noisy pic.
that applies if only you use something like iso400. the only problem.
not so good for night use.

and in daytime, anytime it can be compare with a DSLR imo or even better!
i got a FZ5 and so many times i think it win-win a dslr for day shots.

The sensor size does affect noise. A larger sensor with the same number of pixels as a small one, will have more light (photons) hitting each pixel. This in turns means better dynamic range and less noise. A camera with a small sensor will need to amplify the signal from each pixel more increasing the noise level.

Even better than a dSLR? Hmmm?

dominator said:
no you cannot say get noisy pic.
that applies if only you use something like iso400. the only problem.
not so good for night use.

and in daytime, anytime it can be compare with a DSLR imo or even better!

Yup.... quite agree with you. But the down side is the speed of focusing and slow response from the LCD and the viewfinder. ;p

Reno said:
Yup.... quite agree with you. But the down side is the speed of focusing and slow response from the LCD and the viewfinder. ;p

Regarding yr agreeing with dominator, are you saying that your D70s pics cannot match that of your FZ20 or just that pics from your D70s is noisier than from your FZ20?

AncientMariner said:
Regarding yr agreeing with dominator, are you saying that your D70s pics cannot match that of your FZ20 or just that pics from your D70s is noisier than from your FZ20?

:think: since when he said D70s pics cannot match FZ20.........D70s is noisier than FZ20.
curious...

As easy as that, I believed one thing Reno agree with me is on the part for high iso setting using lumix cameras causing noise.

dominator said:
:think: since when he said D70s pics cannot match FZ20.........D70s is noisier than FZ20.
curious...

As easy as that, I believed one thing Reno agree with me is on the part for high iso setting using lumix cameras causing noise.

I see.
Since he quoted your entire post, including:

dominator said:
...and in daytime, anytime it can be compare with a DSLR imo or even better!
I was surprised and asked for clarification because I was under the impression that Nikon dSLRs can produce better pics than the FZ5.

with ample sunlight in the day, the fz series is a good match...

AncientMariner said:

sorry to confuse you... kekekeee.... :embrass:

the noise side, D70s is much better than FZ20. ;)

The only time they can match when both of them are used under broad daylight subject to what kind of lens that the D70s is using. :sweat: But FZ20 lose out flat in terms of speed because of its slow response on LCD and focusing speed.

Lastly, IR photography is soooo much better on D70s than FZ20...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.