12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

sbs99

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I would applaud his determination, it goes to show there are really people who are VERY VERY KEEN to take photos of local sports and news.
:thumbsup:

News link

SINGAPORE - He ran in heavy rain, then in scorching heat, but Low Wei Jie was determined he would finish what he started.

The Compassvale Primary School student kept pace with around 100 Youth Olympic Flame torchbearers yesterday, running for more than two hours as the torch went past schools and residential districts from Greendale Secondary School to Hougang Stadium. The 12-year-old covered a distance of around 15km and he did it wearing a T-shirt, bermudas and flip-flops.

The youngster missed out on a chance to join two schoolmates carrying the torch around the North East community district because he was deemed too slow.

Drenched in sweat when MediaCorp caught up with him at the rest station at the stadium, the Primary 6 pupil said: "I wasn't planning to run for so long, but when I saw the torch today I decided to follow it. I'm not that tired right now, but my feet hurt."

Wei Jie's determination caught the eye of cheerleaders and officials alike, who stopped to offer him drinks and words of encouragement. He also posed for photos with the Youth Olympic torch.

Yesterday's relay ended with a community celebration at Temasek Polytechnic, which saw the guest-of-honour, Foreign Minister George Yeo, lighting the cauldron to kick off the evening's festivities. The torch relay continues today when it visits the North West community district, starting at Hwa Chong Institution in the morning. - LOW LIN FHOONG

showimageCC.aspx

Photo by Don Wong

He was deemed to slow???? and he can run 15km......:thumbsup:

LOL, the torch just ran past my office......

Last edited:
I would applaud his determination, it goes to show there are really people who are VERY VERY KEEN to take photos of local sports and news.

News link

SINGAPORE - He ran in heavy rain, then in scorching heat, but Low Wei Jie was determined he would finish what he started.

The Compassvale Primary School student kept pace with around 100 Youth Olympic Flame torchbearers yesterday, running for more than two hours as the torch went past schools and residential districts from Greendale Secondary School to Hougang Stadium. The 12-year-old covered a distance of around 15km and he did it wearing a T-shirt, bermudas and flip-flops.

The youngster missed out on a chance to join two schoolmates carrying the torch around the North East community district because he was deemed too slow.

Drenched in sweat when MediaCorp caught up with him at the rest station at the stadium, the Primary 6 pupil said: "I wasn't planning to run for so long, but when I saw the torch today I decided to follow it. I'm not that tired right now, but my feet hurt."

Wei Jie's determination caught the eye of cheerleaders and officials alike, who stopped to offer him drinks and words of encouragement. He also posed for photos with the Youth Olympic torch.

Yesterday's relay ended with a community celebration at Temasek Polytechnic, which saw the guest-of-honour, Foreign Minister George Yeo, lighting the cauldron to kick off the evening's festivities. The torch relay continues today when it visits the North West community district, starting at Hwa Chong Institution in the morning. - LOW LIN FHOONG

showimageCC.aspx

Photo by Don Wong

Potential future photojournalist.. ;)

i wonder how fast you need to be to be able to carry the torch? sometimes... people just give lame reasons... what rubbish??? :nono:

anyway, i applaud this young chap for his enthusiasm and determination. it's no joke running 15km on flip-flops. i bet the individual torch bearers don't even run 15km on each leg.

Last edited:
Well done boy!

Glad if any kind soul got a spare camera to give him cos his family camera is damaged by the rain.

i went shoot the relay at momient mrt, they "run" for less than 200m than pass to next runner.

so why they say he too slow?

News link

showimageCC.aspx

Photo by Don Wong

2 hrs 15km.... he can go for marathon liao. by the time he is 18 i think he can achieve 42 in 3 hrs. haha

Not only for this instance. A lot of local talents go unnoticed because of the current selection processes. Then they said Singapore not enough talents!

Not only for this instance. A lot of local talents go unnoticed because of the current selection processes. Then they said Singapore not enough talents!

you know lah... those high calibre personnels when they make decision... it sometimes baffles the general public

maybe olympus can give the boy a all weather p&s?

actually, if someone knows how to contact his family why don't we start a collection to get him a replacement? Maybe can get in touch with the press or the tuoch relay committee to see if anyone know how to reach them?

it is good to know that out there, there are still passionate photographers who take the effort to capture photographs, instead of just buying gear to hug it to sleep every night. and some of them use p&s.

thumbs up to the boy.

actually, if someone knows how to contact his family why don't we start a collection to get him a replacement? Maybe can get in touch with the press or the tuoch relay committee to see if anyone know how to reach them?

i would gladly contribute.

if any of you manage to get something running, just let me know.

Well, we can contact him through his school.

I will take him as my apprentice. :)

Same here, anyone to start ?

the trouble in my mind is, wait his father is owner of some big company

then we are just being quite comical, offering to buy him new camera when he has got 10 already. :bsmilie:

i will try to find out more tonight, i don't mind writing to the school.