12-24mm or 10-20mm?

Which zoom range do you think is more useful for wedding & event photography?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangedial

Feb 13, 2007
www.pbase.com
For an APS-C cam, which zoom range do you think is more useful for wedding & event photography?

Not both..... a good 16mm or 17mm - XXmm f2.8 would be better.

Both 12-24mm and/or 10-20mm is too wide.... but if must chose one..... then 12-24mm :what:

For an APS-C cam, which zoom range do you think is more useful for wedding & event photography?

Actually, both are too wide for pictures with people in them. The rectilinear projection will pull the faces out of proportion when they are near the edge of the frame. I think 16mm should be the widest you should go.

Depends on your shooting style, but generally the range of 17-55mm range would be more suitable.

I have to agree with most to go with 17mm for weddings/events. Even at 17mm, if a subject is placed at the side, theres a slight distortion.

beg to differ from most of the opinions here...

i've been using 10-22 for weddings most of the time, it has proven useful most of the time

i own a 10-22

i think for people is no go..
but u will love the perspective with it..
esp with buildings.. very nice with buildings

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I've seen beautiful pictures taken by the bros here (esp in the wedding galleries) using 16mm or 17mm on FF cams. To achieve the similar perspective on an APS-C cam, that means a 10mm digital lens should be used. (please correct me if I'm wrong as I have not used a FF cam before)

The reason I asked the above question is because I couldn't decide on which one to choose. On an APS-C cam, 12-24mm gives a conventional 35mm equivalent of 18-36mm, whereas a 10-20mm translates to 15-30mm. On the wide end, I reckon that 15mm is a lot more wider than 18mm. However at the long end, 36mm provides a perspective closer to what the human eyes see. The perpective from 30mm is still deemed as a little wide.

For wedding and event photography, will you choose the wider end advantage of 10mm for more creative opportunities? or will you choose the longer end standard 24mm for the more frequently used 'human eye' perspective?

I'm leaning towards the 10-20mm range as of now...

Hi orangedial, perspective won't change due to APS sensor...only the FOV changes....

if you like the perspective of 16-17mm, then continue to use 16-17mm, just that the FOV will be that of about 24mm. If you use a 10mm, then the perspective will be that of a 10mm and FOV will be about 15mm.

Hope this helps.:)

I've seen beautiful pictures taken by the bros here (esp in the wedding galleries) using 16mm or 17mm on FF cams. To achieve the similar perspective on an APS-C cam, that means a 10mm digital lens should be used. (please correct me if I'm wrong as I have not used a FF cam before)

Hi orangedial, perspective won't change due to APS sensor...only the FOV changes....

if you like the perspective of 16-17mm, then continue to use 16-17mm, just that the FOV will be that of about 24mm. If you use a 10mm, then the perspective will be that of a 10mm and FOV will be about 15mm.

Hope this helps.:)

Perspective will change if you need to take a few steps back to accomodate the FoV you want when you use the same lens on APS-C sensor. So in order for perspective not to change, you've got to accept the reduction in the field of view.

Perspective is dependent on where you shoot from, not the focal length of the lens.

It will change if you move the cam....if the cam is not moved then the perspective will be the same and only FOV is changed.:) Just like take a pic with 10mm on a FF cam, then crop to 15mm FOV (like on a APS Sensor), then the perspective is the same.:)

Perspective will change if you need to take a few steps back to accomodate the FoV you want when you use the same lens on APS-C sensor. So in order for perspective not to change, you've got to accept the reduction in the field of view.

Perspective is dependent on where you shoot from, not the focal length of the lens.

Ultrawides are considered to be "fancy" lenses. Good for the occasional creative shot, thus should be used sparingly. A few may look interesting. More will be tedious to look at. Maybe 3-5% of the total number of shots you've taken? For weddings, it can be used (I use the Sigma 10-20mm), but take care of the people at the sides/corners of the frame. Tends to make them either short and compressed, or make their backsides look REAALLY huge, which is really not a good thing.

Having said that, it really depends on your style. Some wedding photographers say ultrawides are a no go because of the distortion, while some others will purposely break the rules, distortion or not. But even those from the latter group will still take care to control what's acceptable to distort, and what isn't.

For event photography though, getting the "money shot" is more important. Artistic shots are either secondary, or even frowned upon. Standard 24-105 (equiv) lens, direct flash, ISO800, 1/60s, f/5.6 and that's it.

I use the Sigma 10-20mm for weddings but only for shooting places like the function room, the hotel room, the setings, outside of hotels etc.. not so much on people unless they are part of the background and not the main subject itself. After that I change to 17-50mm lens for the rest of the shoot. 10-20 might be useful if you need to shoot a very large group of people at the same time.

If you want ultra-wideangle and a large aperture, why not get the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ? Not sure of its local availability though.

12-24 will be my preferred choice. Not too wide but wide enough.

UWA lenses adds "flavor" to the picture. that said, one flavor for the whole meal seems boring. so some shots UWA and some shots normal are interesting. get the 10-20 or 11-16 or 12-24. But don't forget to bring the standard lens.

but for tight places and no place to step back. i would recommend the UWA, that's where the flavor is needed.

IMHO I feel if one is after the kind of explosive effect that wide angle offers, the wider the better. But of course, too wide can capture distractive elements at the side which may not be too good, but u can always crop or frame by moving nearer.

I also feel distortion is fine. The stretchy feeling at the end gives a very good feeling of the picture wrapping around you. For Tokina 11-16mm which I used previously, it is really a fantastic piece of lens to give you that feeling. It exaggerate the distance of distance objects from the subject and provides emphasize on the subject. Go near on the subject, the effect is stunning :)

Not both..... a good 16mm or 17mm - XXmm f2.8 would be better.

Both 12-24mm and/or 10-20mm is too wide.... but if must chose one..... then 12-24mm :what:

It really depends on your clients... Some like the wide distortion effect, some don't. Either case, I think a couple of UWA shots wouldn't hurt... I personally own and would recommend a 10-20mm.

For canon, an 18-200mm + 17-55mm.

17-55 for the close ups and 18-200 when your presence would be distracting. So far i have not yet seen a photographer using a 17-55 up close when its time for the groom to kiss the bride. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.