11-22mm samples at 11mm f2.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
hi people,

after selling my 14-54, thinking of getting the 11-22. I read the MTF chart at olympus site and it seems that at 11mm f2.8 the corners are quite soft compared to 14-54. Does anyone has any samples, prefably full size shot at 11mm f2.8? Or any opinons on the corner sharpness wide open?

taken at 11mm? did you PS? the verticals looks really straight..

Shot in Jpeg at 11mm(exif data still intact), did no cropping, rotation. In another word, nothing was done except resizing for web.

wind30 said:
taken at 11mm? did you PS? the verticals looks really straight..

Forget about pixelpeeping... there is no such thing as an ultra wide angle lens that will give you tacksharp corners when wide open, the question should be, which wide lens is the least soft when wide open.

All I can say about the 11-22mm lens is that it is the best ultra-wide angle zoom on any mount that S$1000 can buy. Distortion is almost lacking and corners at 11mm (22mm equivalent FOV) can be considered to be the sharpest among any consumer affordable wide angle lens.

Besides, the super-solid built quality is very impressive and there seems to be no sample variation, ie. all the 11-22mm that roll off Olympus' plant is sharp and have no BF/FF issues at all. This lens is the reason why I am sticking with the E-system. :)

11-22mm, 14-54mm and the 50mm Macro are some of the best lenses $$ can buy.

Hacker said:
11-22mm, 14-54mm and the 50mm Macro are some of the lenses $$ can buy.

Some of the best lenses $$$ can buy you mean?

For the 14-54mm, when buying, just be careful checking in preview especially when buying as there is sample variation, meaning some are not as sharp in say, left or right corners. Luckily, the one I got is excellent, as good as it gets. :)

tao said:

For the 14-54mm, when buying, just be careful checking in preview especially when buying as there is sample variation, meaning some are not as sharp in say, left or right corners. Luckily, the one I got is excellent, as good as it gets. :)

Changed... :embrass:

best entry-mid range lenses in zuiko line up other than the pro version are 11-22mm, 50mm & 50-200mm. haben seen much of pro lenses' images to make comments about them.

11-22mm are super duper sharp at f8-f11. almost zero distortion.

tao said:

I am glad you like the lens :) I was actually having second + third thoughts selling my 14-54 lens. I thought it was quite a nice lens and I HOPE my new 11-22mm if I am getting it will be similar.

How does it compare with the 11-22mm? Is the 11mm f2.8 as sharp as the 14mm f2.8? For the 14-54mm, it seems to be as sharp f2.8 and f4 which is pretty amazing. But I was using an E1...

NMSS_2 said:
11-22mm are super duper sharp at f8-f11. almost zero distortion.

why f8-f11 only? my 14-54 50-200mm is pretty sharp from f2.8 onwards... but that was on a 5meg E1. I basically pixel peep between a f8 and f2.8 and I CAN'T tell much of a difference even at 200%. Is the 11-22mm soft at f2.8?

wind30 said:
I am glad you like the lens :) I was actually having second + third thoughts selling my 14-54 lens. I thought it was quite a nice lens and I HOPE my new 11-22mm if I am getting it will be similar.

How does it compare with the 11-22mm? Is the 11mm f2.8 as sharp as the 14mm f2.8? For the 14-54mm, it seems to be as sharp f2.8 and f4 which is pretty amazing. But I was using an E1...

I find the 11-22mm is more substantial, more solidly built and heavier than the 14-54mm. Guess which lens feels better in the hands? :)

I find the lens for different uses, really and the difference at max wide is much more than the numbers suggest. I will use the 14-54mm as a general walk-around lens and even for macro purposes as it can focus so close at 54mm (good enough for most objects, texture and flowers, etc). On the other hand, the 11-22mm will be used for landscape, architecture and interiors.

Within the little time I have comparing them, in terms of colour contrast and sharpness, I still find the 11-22mm better, it just have that magic in the pictures while I love the 14-54mm for its versatility. To be frank, the 14-54mm you sold me is indeed a very sharp copy, you were right that it is sharp edge-to-edge even when wide open. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting either the 14-54mm lens or 50-200mm lens. Please advice me which one should I get? I am into taking portraits.

cheers.:)

Benng said:
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting either the 14-54mm lens or 50-200mm lens. Please advice me which one should I get? I am into taking portraits.

I would go for the 14-54mm. I guess it boils down to your preference....

Hacker said:
I would go for the 14-54mm. I guess it boils down to your preference....

Thanks Hacker. Will post some pics when I get home later.

Benng said:
Hi guys,

Taking portraits? I will get the 50mm F2.0 ED... it is killer sharp and bokeh is unbelievable. more confusion huh? :bsmilie:

tao said:
Taking portraits? I will get the 50mm F2.0 ED... it is killer sharp and bokeh is unbelievable. more confusion huh? :bsmilie:

Oh no:dunno: But isn't 50mm FD2.0 ED more for Macro shots? You mean you can use it for Portraits too? sorry I am a newbie, been using my E-300 for only 6mths. My first D-SLR. ;p

Benng said:
Oh no:dunno: But isn't 50mm FD2.0 ED more for Macro shots? You mean you can use it for Portraits too? sorry I am a newbie, been using my E-300 for only 6mths. My first D-SLR. ;p

No doubt that the lens was conceived with macro in mind but as many found out, it is great for portraits as its 100mm equivalent let you work at a distance from the subject and at the same time, it is sharp wide open and bokeh is simply breathtaking. :)

But as Hacker say, the 14-54mm is still a great choice and is more versatile but if you are so dedicated in portraiture, I will recommend the 50mm F2.0 straightaway.

wind30 said:
why f8-f11 only? my 14-54 50-200mm is pretty sharp from f2.8 onwards... but that was on a 5meg E1. I basically pixel peep between a f8 and f2.8 and I CAN'T tell much of a difference even at 200%. Is the 11-22mm soft at f2.8?

i always do my test of new lens at all f-stops to check for sweet spot. 14-54 is softer than 11-22.

not sure about the effect of higher MP on same sensor size but i think the higher MP should be slightly softer in pixel peeping in same sensor size.

tao said:
No doubt that the lens was conceived with macro in mind but as many found out, it is great for portraits as its 100mm equivalent let you work at a distance from the subject and at the same time, it is sharp wide open and bokeh is simply breathtaking. :)

But as Hacker say, the 14-54mm is still a great choice and is more versatile but if you are so dedicated in portraiture, I will recommend the 50mm F2.0 straightaway.
the 50-200 is also good for portrait!

haha. choices choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.