10mm or 12mm for landscape

roven

Dec 27, 2012
Singapore
Hi, I am very inexperience in landscape photography; I was hoping for some experts to enlighten me on this area.
I am using a 7d and I intending to get an ultra wide angle lens and here is my two choices: canon 10-22 and the Tokina 12-28.
My main concern is the 12mm is not wide enough.

Certainly 10mm will give a wider angle of view, but not everything about landscape photography calls for the widest view. Both are capable lenses, but you'll have to weigh what is more important to you, the wider focal length of Canon, or the longer reach of the Tokina. But since you worry more about the wider end, just get the Canon.

Actually it takes quite a bit of skill to be able to fully utilise the 10mm (16mm FOV for 35mm). Wide angles or even ultra wides are not easy to use. Unless you have a pressing need maybe you can try working with the standard 16-18mms on APSC, and decide how wide you need, if you really need it. :)

Hi, I am very inexperience in landscape photography; I was hoping for some experts to enlighten me on this area.
I am using a 7d and I intending to get an ultra wide angle lens and here is my two choices: canon 10-22 and the Tokina 12-28.

For how long have you used a 12mm to realise that its not wide enough?

Quite frankly, nobody can answer your question because its really about personal preference and things you shoot. There are people who shoot landscapes with a 300mm lens. What lenses are you using now? I suggest you use what you have now while you assess your needs. Take time to compose a scene. Observe the places you shoot and decide what to include in the frame. You will make better decisions about lens purchase by thinking about what you shoot, where you shoot and how you shoot.

There is no need to over consider.

If you get 12mm, you will compose around 12mm.
If you got 10mm you will shoot with that as and option.

Not all landscapes need the widest fov.
Sometimes it can be to wide and things look too pushed out.
Other times, you need to exaggerate perspective with the widest you've got.

Buy the one you can afford and think is a better performer also considering flare resistance, sharpness, portability.

wider the better don like too wide after that crop it

Have you considered Sigma 10-20?

Thanks for the advices. I am using a 35mm, 50mm, 18-200mm lenses right now. I post this question because i was uncertain of the next lens i intend to purchase. I have tried the Tokina 11-16mm and was really satisfied with the quality. Another thing that i wasn't sure of was the image quality of the canon 10-22mm vs Tokina 12-28. If the tokina 12-28 does not have that good image quality (especially sharpness) from the range of 20 to 28, it would be pointless for me to get that, and i would choose canon instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advices. I am using a 35mm, 50mm, 18-200mm lenses right now. I post this question because i was uncertain of the next lens i intend to purchase. I have tried the Tokina 11-16mm and was really satisfied with the quality. Another thing that i wasn't sure of was the image quality of the canon 10-22mm vs Tokina 12-28. If the tokina 12-28 does not have that good image quality (especially sharpness) from the range of 20 to 28, it would be pointless for me to get that, and i would choose canon instead.

Why would you want to get more lenses when you are uncertain? But if you know you want something wider than your existing, you will look at those ultra wide angle lenses which you have already shortlisted 2.

Among the UWA lenses for Canon crop body, only a few will come out top in the list (I have not read much about Tokina 12-28)
- 10-22
- Tokina 11-16
- Sigma 10-20

In terms of price, Sigma will be the cheapest in the 2nd hand market, followed by Tokina then Canon. Each have it's strength and weaknesses. If it's sharpness that you are concerned, the 3 mentioned lens does it exceptionally well according to my readings years back when I was looking for a UWA. It was the excellent flare control that eventually led me to purchase 10-22.

Personally, I feel that the distance of 22mm to 28mm isn't too much different. And also do note that you do NOT need to cover every single focal length from 10mm-200mm (or xxxx mm).

How come the Sigma 8-16 is not mentioned here?
Is it shitter than the others (canon 10-22/tokina 11-16/sigma 10-20)

I myself is contemplating between a canon10-22 and a sigma 8-16

How come the Sigma 8-16 is not mentioned here?
Is it shitter than the others (canon 10-22/tokina 11-16/sigma 10-20)

I myself is contemplating between a canon10-22 and a sigma 8-16

Sigma 8-16 is good.

The drawback is that it can't use filters natively. Have to jump through hoops and DIY.

the most shitterier is not about the lenses, but the perspective of photographers.

You best works are from the tools that you are most familiar with, so if you want an ultra wide angle lens, just get one and spend more time get familiar with it.

you may or may not need to switch to another lens, but that only happen after you get to know more about the lens you use.